GO!

Article in the Dogster Blog About ONLY Adopting Shelter Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 11: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 11:42am PST 
After I read the article, one of the first things that popped into my head was that the author probably isn't all that familiar with dog people, as in real hardcore dog people. It's only the newbies who seem to see 'rescue' and 'breeder purchase' as two totally separate groups.

I know quite a few breeders and almost every one is involved with rescue in some way. They often support a breed specific rescue of their 'heart' breed, even if that's donating money, time, or kennel space. Many times they foster and take in overflow dogs from shelters, regular rescues or breed specific rescues because they do have some space and care deeply about the dogs.

I did some serious searching before I acquired my pup. And I am a puppy person through and through, after raising many pups for others, when I was finally in a position to raise my own...well, that pup wasn't sitting in a shelter up here in the Northeast. I knew what I would be doing with the dog, and knew which breeds would fit. Nothing out there. I need to evaluate whatever pup I care for in person due to allergies. So I heard about an oops litter through some breeder friends. Paid vetting costs, got to know that breeder and wound up helping with the litter a bit. I don't say that I 'rescued' because I really didn't. And I am the proud owner of a mix, so the real purebred snobs loathe us, too wink So I guess I've earned the right to piss off both sides.

I've worked for breeders; some truly good ones that I've thankfully learned a lot from, some who have been a shining example of what NOT to do. I've also volunteered and fostered for shelters and rescue organizations. I just love dogs no matter where they come from. I suspect that's true for a lot of dog people.

What bothers me more than anything is indiscriminate breeding for profit with no regard whatsoever where that life winds up after the money comes in or wether or not that life can be even moderately healthy. Mills, BYBs and the like are absolutely ruining some of my favorite breeds. There's a reason that some shelters are full up with 90% or more pit bulls and pit mixes. I also have a huge problem with the amount of retired racers in rescue STILL. Why is the dog rescuing public supposed to somehow absorb all the castoffs of a multi-million dollar industry? I used to work in pro racing kennels...some of them think y'all are suckers big time. Sad but true.

Edited by author Tue Nov 13, '12 11:44am PST

[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 12:17pm PST 
Tiller, that's true. But, as someone pointed out, it IS in the Dogster Confessional. There's been a lot of controversial posts in the Confessional.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 12:27pm PST 
Keep in mind though that the one wagging her finger is someone who only cares for dogs as pets and has no personal appeal or need for pure bred lineage.

There's nothing inside her that really draws her to any breed for any reason.

So, it seems the article was more written from ignorance than from anything else.

Heck, I don't get the huge appeal with certain breeds. I certainly don't have that desire in me. Crazy mutts suit me just fine and will pretty much always fit that slot. But once you start dropping your personal bits and hop into someone else's shoes, the whole concept of getting from breeders makes sense and the premise behind it should not be judged. And it doesn't just make sense, it's actually quite logical on a lot of occasions.

Which breeder you choose from and how you go about getting your dog should be judged. Just like what shelter/rescue you go to and how you go about getting that dog should be judged. Without judgement, nothing is brought forward. Without scrutiny, everything flies under the radar.

All in all, if I encountered that author in real life with her preaching her thoughts, I'd just kindly smile and nod my head while going on about how coo-coo this lady is in my head. I'm actually picturing her being like woody wood pecker, and it has put quite the smile on my face.big grin
[notify]

Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 1:37pm PST 
Every rescue dog I had came to me with a wide array of behavioral problems that took an IMMENSE amount of time, patience, and management. Three of them were a liability. My German Shepherd most of all. You can read why that was on her profile on my page.. Granted, she got much better and eventually became a stable companion with the right management, but it took a lot more effort and dedication than the average person would put in. If I decide in the future that I want another GSD, you bet I'm going to a breeder, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Yes, stop puppymills, backyard breeders, and even irresponsible show breeders. But for her to say buying a dog at ALL is bad.. She's just in a self-righteous fog.

By her words, "Purebreds have a lot of health problems." I'm sorry, but that is a sickening lack of knowledge if she assumes all purebred dogs have health issues. My Pitbull and Chow cross rescues had more health issues than any of my purebreds, and it's because they were poorly bred. She has no business having any of her thoughts posted on this site.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 1:43pm PST 
That is true also, Sanka. Woody Wood Pecker, haha. laugh out loud

So true, Gunther.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 1:43pm PST 
I see many dogs posted on Craigslist that were impulse adoptions and the people have realized they didn't really want the dog/puppy.

I have also seen the number of adult dogs coming into the county shelter as "strays" skyrocket since the puppy trains started. Breeds that never showed up at the shelter except 1 or 2 every 6 months or so.
These are breeds that are coming up in the puppy trains.

In researching rescues to volunteer with, so few of them actually bother to check out potential adopters.
The ones that do get ridiculed by people who wanted to adopt without going through the whole process. Especially if they can walk into a pet store or go to a BYB and walk away a few minutes later with a purebred.

I have many friends that volunteer for good rescues or have started their own. They have sleepless nights, worry, educate and cry over the animals when the perfect match comes along and the animal goes home.
They realize there is more to rescue than "numbers."

I do not judge people based off where they got their dog.
I will educate on why pet stores and puppy mills and BYBs are not good and how to find a reputable breeder but ONLY if the topic comes up and ONLY if the other person shows interest in the info.
I do the same if it comes up that the dog is from a rescue that isn't reputable and I will let the person know what makes a rescue reputable and why that is good. Again ONLY if the other person is interested in the info.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 3:48pm PST 
Just wanted to clarify something in case any thought I was going to buy from a breeder simply because of this article. I did say in a previous post I would love to get a purebred pup, but that is something I have wanted for quite some time (years, in fact)...definitely not something I decided based on one poorly-written article. Also, it will be at least another year before I'm planning on getting a second dog...and who knows, maybe another bratty mutt (*said in love*) will find me by then, lol. However, I can certainly see articles such as this one, and people with this kind of attitude driving people away from adopting. This is why I like Dogster, I have learned a lot about how to go about things/talking to others about animals and how to care for them. You really need to be careful how your attitude comes off as, and I guess this is something the author really needs a lesson on. Hopefully she has been reading the comments and getting something out of them.wink

ETA: Woody Wood Pecker...lol.laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Nov 13, '12 3:50pm PST

[notify]
Bentley

I'm the boss!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 4:02pm PST 
Just got through reading the article and found myself rolling my eyes. Many of the things in it aren't accurate. I know one retired breeder who over the years has eaten a lot of crow from people like this writer.

My first dog was a rescue and had a fear of people because she came from a bad situation. Despite that she was sweet and my best friend.

Bentley came from a breeder, I got to see his parents, brothers and just his background in general.

Personality wise he's a regular alpha dog but apart from that he's friendly and good natured.

Many breeds have different personalities, some are good family dogs others are better for those who live alone.

I actually grew up hearing dalmatians and german shepherds were mean and not ideal dogs for families but about ten years ago I found out that was just the opposite! I've spent time with both of these breeds and they are good dogs.

Also it's not uncommon for a person who has owned a certain breed before to want another dog of that same breed.

I've known people who got dogs from breeders and never looked back. Their dogs turned out just fine and these same people really loved their dogs.

Plus breeders have kept many dog breeds from going extinct.

Among the breeds that were close to extinction years ago were: Akita Inu, Beagle, Irish Wolfhound and Red and White Irish setter, just to name a few.

In India the Rampur greyhound was almost wiped out too.

Westminster kennel club added the Mexican hairless and several other breeds to their registry and the breed actually got a lot of attention.

Also, certain breeds just can't be found or obtained from rescues or shelters.

I know one person who runs a rescue and all of her dogs have different backgrounds. She's actually a good person to talk to since she's been on both sides of the fence.

In fact most people recommend going to a hobby breeder if they're looking for something they just can't find at a shelter or rescue.

Dogster actually supports both adoption and breeders.

There is an article on this site about a person who found a hobby breeder and how other people can find one too.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 4:52pm PST 
I have to disagree with those posting about shelter dogs being "project dogs". I've fostered for three years and have had 70 or so dogs come through my house. Maybe two of them have had issues that required serious training. The rest were just dogs that had no training, but were relatively stable dogs that just needed to be taught things that -any- dog would be taught. There were also a few that actually came to me knowing sit, down, stay, shake, roll over, play dead...

A truly dangerous dog should not make it out of animal control.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 6:11pm PST 
But, Sarah. You DO foster and you DO work with the dogs. What about those millions of dogs that are trucked up North and go directly to their new adopter with absolutely no evaluation or foster care at all. These people pick these dogs from a picture. When the transport leaves, they are left completely on their own.
This is happening all over the US and, trust me, most of these people are ill equipped to deal with these dogs who have come right off the streets. This is not fair to the people , or the dogs, or, especially to the whole premise of ""rescue".
Just for one small example...there is a "lab" rescue trucking dogs up here from TN , the people are told they are getting a one year old purebred lab, evaluated and trained. NONE of the ones I've see had one speck of Labrador blood in them and they were mostly Not neutered, three year old street dogs. One pit bull (called a lab because it was tan?), bit FOUR family members the first night. Another 120 lb black and white, collie coated "Labrador" was placed with an elderly lady. He was wild and outweighed her and when she tried to return him after he broke her shoulder she was told it was her responsibility to get him back to Tennessee.
These people all should have met these dogs before they took them, the dogs should have been properly evaluated, and someone needs to do some follow up after these placements.
This type of rescue is WORSE than buying a mill or BYB puppy, IMO.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 11: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11