GO!

Article in the Dogster Blog About ONLY Adopting Shelter Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 11: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 1:31am PST 
Y'know... I'm all for everyone having a personal opinion. That's always been something I've been set in - everyone is entitled to just that.

But I'm offended and ALL of my own dogs have been rescues. Do I want a beautifully bred working line German Shepherd in my future? Yes. Does that mean I'll stop rescuing or fostering or rehabilitating dogs with patchy histories? NO!

Do I judge those who go to responsible, reputable breeders? Absolutely not.

What I DO judge is those who go to puppy mills, or backyard breeders and brag about their 'purebred mix' dog! I'm sorry, but a 'Pugairn' is not a breed. I judge those who do not put time, effort and love into their dogs. I judge those who neglect their dogs physical and mental NEEDS. I judge those who will hand over money for that cute puppy in the window 'just because' and without any research having been done. And I judge those that feel dogs are disposable. The "I thought I had enough time for this six month old blue heeler puppy, but he's too energetic." or "Oh, yeah, he's thirteen years old, but I had a baby and now, I don't have any time for him". Those are the people -I- judge.

Perhaps because I have a certain standard on pet care. Perhaps because I fully believe that a dog is FAMILY, a dog is a FRIEND, a dog is for LIFE. But y'know... I like being judged just because someone else isn't well educated. I like being judged by family and friends because they think it's stupid that I would in fact spend a couple grand on a great breeder with fantastic dogs. Let's ignore the fact I've ALWAYS rescued and fostered otherwise. I've had people just like this girl, telling me that "Beneful is just as good as the food you feed" wait... since when is Beneful as good as Acana or raw food? Hold the phone! My dog TOTALLY doesn't have seizures on that crap! Maybe her dogs do well on it, but mine doesn't.

I am not a bad owner for the choices I've made in wanting to rescue AND someday get a breeder puppy. I do things with my dogs, they're walked all the time - I feel like crap if I miss even ONE - they're fed high quality diets, socialized properly so that when/if I do have kids they'll be able to handle being around a baby or a toddler. I buy a car and I think about whether or not it'll fit my dogs and my dog stuff! Not to mention all the fosters and rescues and rehabilitation I've done, and the education beyond.

The entire article is crap written by someone who clearly doesn't KNOW what a good breeder is. Backyard breeders and puppy millers can be attacked. Irresponsible owners can be attacked. But this is just an all new low for Dogster and it's incredible that they would ALLOW it to be published(sorry, re-published) on their website, where all it will do is alienate, push away, and offend the very people on here.

Sabi - I've noticed that too, actually. My foster dog came from a rescue(will not name it) that did not tell me the full extent of his issues. "Oh, he resource guards." Okay, I can handle that. What they did not tell me was the full extent of his severe bite history, that his previous foster mom was TERRIFIED of him, that he didn't just guard food, but furniture, crate, toys, treats, EVERYTHING and would outright bite you if you made him the least bit uncomfortable... It took MONTHS AND MONTHS of training. I was pulling my hair out frustrated, because the only help and support I was getting was from books, and from Dogster, and he was a complete liability to the rescue who had denied me this information until he was in my home. If I emailed his so-called behaviorist about an issue that I'd find crop up, she'd sum it up to "that's the breed. it's instinct and you can't train him out of it." BULL. I did. And you know what? He got a fabulous home in the end, when I thought he would be a lifer. But you know what terrifies me? They were so concerned about moving him... I can't be sure that they warned the adopters what they were getting into by adopting him. I can't be sure that he won't revert to his old behavior. He can never, ever be trusted around small children. And it terrifies me, to think and know that I'm one of the ONLY people he never bit while being fostered, and what could happen to him if he does again. If I hadn't lost my home at the time, I would have continued fostering and I likely would have adopted him. In the end, I ended up leaving the rescue because I simply could not agree with their push-pull system, in which they KNEW they had a dog with a severe bite history(his previous foster mom being bitten the most often and needing stitches!), and did not inform me fully until after I had him in my home and had agreed to foster. It was through sheer determination to help give this dog a better life that kept me going. And I'm all the better for it. But it's rescues like this that bug the heck out of me..
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 3:53am PST 
"If there's one thing I have a passion for, it's animals (and Ben Affleck -- he is a god)."

Right out of the gate, I don't take this person seriously. Judging by this, and the ridiculous, self-indulgent photos of the author herself in the post - there really isn't even any reason to give this any attention. It's just a poorly-written "article" written by someone with a self-righteous attitude since they've adopted a few animals. Haven't we all?
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 5:33am PST 
On the note about how it's so easy to get dogs from shelters that it's as bad as a BYB... A lot of shelters these days have to make it extremely easy for someone to grab a dog and go, reason being is that if it's not that easy, people will turn to a pet store to get one, and that's what they're trying to stop. I've personally experienced this with my guinea pigs. *Story Time*

I went to go adopt the only guinea pig this rescue had. It was the only one in my area, and I had high hopes to get the pig since I took such good care of my pigs. They also had a wonderful reputation and were no-kill. First they had me fill out an online application which was super long. I waited about a week and they contacted me back, we chatted over email for a while, and then they told me I could come in so they could ask me more questions. I came in on the date they asked, waited about an hour, signed a few papers, and finally got to meet the guinea pig. She was awesome and had a great personality. One of the rescue's assistants came in and chatted with us for another hour, ask about how big our cage was (It's an extremely huge C&C cage that takes up a whole room on its own) asked about what we fed (Extremely high quality hay that costs me the bank, high quality pellets, and a good selection of veggies, fruits, and I even grow fresh grass for them, all as it should be) And she also asked about my other guinea pigs (Two other females who are also amazingly taken care of)

Next they had their resident vet come in and question me up a storm. I answered everything correctly, and they told me "Ok, you sound like the perfect home, we will have a home visit/drop off on wednesday" Though after all this I got an email back a few days later saying that because I used the word "Raised" in the interview (Which I don't even remember saying) It meant that I was breeding guinea pigs, and that they didn't want her to go to anyone who bred. (Which is completely untrue)

Now this was a good rescue, but because it was so hard to get a guinea pig, they made me ponder just running over to the pet store to pick up a piggy. Of course I would never do that because I know how bad it is, however I could totally see someone in my position who might want to adopt turning to a pet shop or BYB after this. Or even before they fill out the online application, it's much easier to run out and buy a pig than it is to save the life of one, for those who aren't as dedicated. Therefore shelters make it easier for them to get a shelter animal because they'd rather someone rescue and support them than buy and support a BYB.
[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 6:42am PST 
As much as I support No Kill or low kill in my heart, I have to admit that Tiller speaks the truth here. I am one of those owners who did not want "project dogs." I'm not a trainer, not a rehabber. I now have 3 project dogs. They're all "my fault." I don't believe that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I don't believe that having 3 project dogs makes me a better person. I never want to rehab, resocialize a DA dog again. I never want another serious scuffle in my house.

My third rescue, my foster failure, is an interesting case. He came to me from a kill shelter in SC -- I found him on Petfinder! wink The rescue was incredibly nice in bringing him within an hour and a half of my house. They did a home visit. BUT: they were exceptionally eager to place him, told me he would be placed within a week, two at most, from his picture, despite the fact that I told them he was extremely timid and nipped men. I knew he was actually a placement problem, and as his problems were not severe, I did not mind handling him. (I had raised a timid dog before, unlike DA dogs.) So I guess it's my fault I didn't pick a dog from a fostered home, from a fantastic, truthful rescue, with a great matcher. But I have the feeling those are few and far between. And I do love all my rescues, but I am sure ready for a dog with good nerves.
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 9:26am PST 
Honestly, it doesn't both me. I think that the author is a judgmental human being whom has her own opinions, which don't effect me.

I was not put here to please anyone.

I AM going to purchase an Akita Inu puppy from a breeder, and she can judge me all she wants. In the end, this is the decision that I have come to that I feel is the best for my dogs, myself, and my family. I don't give a donkey's crack if it makes her happy or not.

You can't please everyone. shrug

(Okay, so I'm a little upset and a little defensive; can you blame me?)
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 10:23am PST 
I have learned so much from my time on Dogster...Savvy is from a backyard breeder. I wanted a yellow lab, like one I had before and didn't really think about the ethics...most people don't.

I knew enough not to get a petstore pup, but more from health issues than breeding ethics. And I was annoyed because I kept seeing Labs for sale in PA. which is one state north. I almost asked my sister to go get one for me, because I was having trouble finding one. Now I realize those were probably Amish puppy mills.

Dog number two, currently in residence was from a Shelter. And they were rather stringent, which I appreciated. Dog number three was from another shelter, not so stringent...alarmingly lax in fact.

And dog number four is from a breed rescue. I am addicted to rescuing...but someday may very well have a quality purebred. If I choose to. Because when it gets right down to it, my reasons and desires will come before some other persons opinion. So, I wasn't offended. And if she told me the same thing in person, I would still not be offended. Because as far as she goes...she is right. But like everything else there is more to the issue. And many of the pups on here have presented those points wonderfully.

My point? Thanks to this kind of discussion we all gain. Keep it going!
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 10:51am PST 
@ Lobo....I don't think it's so much about someone's rights to their opinion (some people simply do think this way), but Dogster actually putting up such a "confessional." This is the sort of thing that promotes a negative backlash. I mean, a few have cropped up on this thread to say they have had rescues to this point but now are planning to get a breeder dog! Or Mulder, who I doubt thinks it's impossible to get a working prospect from a shelter, but knows full well that you are in ways simply better off focusing on a good breeder and known pedigrees (which is extremely helpful), full assessments and someone there for you for the life of the dog and whatever problems you may face. People start saying extreme things because they are really abraded.

There are just certain things, certain very healthy and reasonably true things that are commonly used in shelter promotion that end up getting mocked in some way, making a statement made FOR adoption promotion get attacked. I mean, let's look at these logics:

1. "I grew up with a [specific breed of dog], and I really want one now" and "every once in a while a purebred will come through." Ok. That's sort of true. Of course, seldom are those going to be puppies, which is often what such a person looks forward to. And those who come through who are not old and who have glistening good behavior are most often gone in a split second...often never listed because of a waiting list behind them. So you don't get a puppy, likely will not be getting as good an example of the breed, are blocked from knowing the dogs pedigree (often something important to purebred buyers), and need to get on a very long waiting list or just throw your hands up and get something old or with some issues? This is what getting a dog has become? I had in two rather spectacular GSDs last year. One of them, not entirely sure he was purebred, but he was a great, PERFECT dog. But I did doubt he was purebred. The other, KNEW she was purebred and had some nice blood behind her (could even recognize some lines in her), but she had SA...was destructive and could claw her way out of any crate. Now certainly, I never, EVER want to discourage anyone from rescue. If you are determined to get your purebred through rescue, I think that's fantastic. But such sweeping statements as this do open the door for it being mentioned how hard and compromising it can actually be.

2. "I want a puppy who I can start training from a young age" paired with "this doesn't mean you can't use a shelter in your quest for the perfect pup." Ok, that's nice, too. Fails to underscore that not only do you not have a clue as to your puppies genetics, but you know that mantra when buying from a breeder and making those decisions how important how the puppy is raised and socialized is? All of a sudden, that ceases to matter, and you are taking on a puppy you would walk away from in a second in a breeder setting. Not optimally raised, weaned from momma too young, under socialized. I in my heart know puppies are very resilient and can often rise above it, and totally champion shelter pup adoption. But again, you find yourself abraded and underscoring a glaring truth. Standards that not only matter but are INSISTED UPON with breeder purchase all of a sudden fall flat.

3. "I want to know what kind of personality I will get" paired with "Well, friend, that's just not going to happen." Um, yes it is laugh out loud I've had breeder dogs for many years, and while each has their certain surprise as dogs are individual, all are what I imagined, as they were "in range." Maybe some have had health problems, but off their lines they were expectable. A couple had a behavioral moment or two, but were well anticipated due to their breed and genetics. There are no true "surprises" if you do your homework and hook up with a good breeder. You do your research and address what you might face, decide if you are cool with those possibilities or not. There is a lot more control, and plenty, through selective purchase, you can do to mitigate the odds of those occurring. Far moreso than knowing literally nothing.

4. "My friend once adopted a dog, and it was aggressive" paired with "But isn't that sad?" Nothing here spikes me more! That is your rationale? That is "sad" so somehow that solves....um.....what? There are equally dogs who have been to hell and back. I mean, what do you want? I've seen it! Do you want shot? Do you want nearly starved to death? How does having scalding water poured over you and then left to die, and when you didn't abandoned at a shelter's doorstep with the dog in so much pain she didn't move an inch? That was Cookie....the scalding water dog. Who loved everyone. Totally unaffected. As exists in the purebred community, some dogs simply have better composed characters. What MATTERS in the world of dog breeding doesn't matter outside of it? Good character is good character. Do I think you can't get that in a shelter? Hell NO! I have seen so many it makes me want to cry. But don't expect a nation to all of a sudden think they need to tolerate poor or dangerous behaviors, let alone burden them, because it is "sad."

5. "I want to breed my dog with another, so I can sell the puppies for money" paired with "Well then, you are a creep, and I have no use for you." Finally, a more rounded moment. Although maybe if you weren't so high and mighty and would realize some aren't as enlightened and need to be talked to intelligently. Might that actually be more productive and potentially stop them? I dunno....just a thought laugh out loud

So in this ANTI adoption article, this author thinks it's all very cool to be on a waiting list forever to get an undersocialized puppy of unknown and likely craptastic genetics whose horrid behavior you will accept because it is "sad."

If I ran a rescue with those sorts of language and I would be begging for someone to shoot me.

Okie dokie.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 11:02am PST 
Good post, and your last paragraph sums up nicely...
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 11:04am PST 
I wanted to separate this from my general post so it does not get lost.

If you were to say to me that you wanted a GSD of beautiful type, let's say you wanted Czech type, and sterling behavior.

Or if you were to say you wanted an optimally socialized puppy raised the right way.

Or if you were to say to me you wanted a bombproof million dollar dog.

Or if you were to say to say to me you wanted a topend agility prospect or a hunting dog.

Could I help you with that?

AB-SO-LUTELY!

But it is about lots of patience and perseverance. And while it is very sobering to say, wouldn't much solve the problem, as who wouldn't want those dogs? If there is something you really want but really want to rescue, it can be answered. A BIS Westminster winner once showed up at a shelter, so don't think ANYTHING is impossible laugh out loud But it doesn't come easy. And expecting everyone to abandon their ideal preferences because of the crisis itself?

Please! The number one most important thing is that a person takes on a dog knowingly and advisedly, to ensure that longterm success. Let's not lose sight of that.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 11:37am PST 
This author must really like me then smile Owner of 2 goldens from breeders that is the rescue person for the club--meaning I know there are good goldens out there waiting to be adopted.

I will just forget about the article and work on placing the 2 owner surrenders we have (meaning did not get dropped off at a shelter and yes originally from pet stores). Hopefully the people on my wait list do not read this article and decide not to adopt from us.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 11: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11