GO!

Gender Preference??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 6: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:33pm PST 
Bol, when I was younger I preferred females because they were less likely to pee on ever weed and pebble they come across. I now prefer males for the same reason. I have learned to enjoy watching them pee on every weed and pebble and then kicking sand over me running in place. big laugh
dog walk
[notify]
Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 6:33am PST 
Ladies first, in honor of my own sassy old woman. laugh out loud
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 8:02am PST 
We currently have 2 females. I like females but I really want my next dog to be male so i can experience having one. My friends male is so into her and i love it. cheer But females are cool too dont get me wrong. way to go
[notify]

Popple

Ready for- anything!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 9:23am PST 
I love male dogs. Every female dog I have ever had or been around seems to be in competition with you. Where as males seem to be happier acting as a partner. At least that's how it seemed with the terriers I have been around.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 9:34am PST 
I've just always worked well with females, wether intact or not, breeding or not. Nothing against the males at all really, I find the intact fellas take a little bit more care in management, but nothing that would make me go so far as to prefer females. And they're Airdales. I've worked with quite a few breeds, and I honestly don't notice a difference in levels of affection coming from one gender or another.

I'm lucky that my BF also prefers females, every single one of his favorite family dogs has been a girl, so that helps in that we had no conflict at all in choosing a gender of our dog. I think it does have a lot to do with what a person is familiar with in caring for a dog, much of that comes from childhood experiences IMHO. Every standout dog in my family was female, too, they're just more memorable. There were many males in both sides, almost even, so it's not just coming from simply having more females.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 9:59am PST 
I can not choose. Females I have had are better working partners...want to work, learn things faster. Males always end up being heart dogs...just love being with you always, more intune with your moods.

But yes...remembering back to intact female days - very challenging smile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 9:16pm PST 
I love my girls. I like that they are moody and have crabby days.I dislike boys peeing on things and almost every male I have ever had drools,not a fan of slobber. I have had the odd boy really tug at my heart, my Sheltie Buddy, my Wolfhound cross Striker, Zeus my Akita and my Grams Newf Saber. I am in love with my mothers SCWT boy Jaro and of course Bud, my handsome prince. All that said I still love my girls, the bitchier the better. I currently have 2 maybe 3 delightfully female GSDs. And I love every minute of it.
As far as working goes I have repeatedly found that girls protect people, boys protect territory. That could be a flawed result as the dogs I have worked with except Sabs were all related. Whatever the cause I seem to do well with females.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 1:21pm PST 
For my next dog I am going to prefer a female dog. Milton is a male dog and I know he likes female dogs. It is recommended when getting a second dog, to get one of the opposite sex since they will less likely see each other as a competitor. I know this is the case with my dog.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 9:54pm PST 
Male dogs seem "easier" in general. More happy-go-lucky, eager to please, and definitely less "bitchy".
But today, watching Lupi's two male visitors hump eachother non-stop and mark every object in our yard, I thought how nice it was to have a female!
My female is more thoughtful than the boys we often dogsit. She's more independent, which I've discovered I really like, and truly enjoys "working".
An example of boy vs. girl behavior: Today while getting dressed, I noticed a sock had somehow ended up under the bed. Being lazy, I turned to the dogs. Lupi was resting in her bed while Cooter was right by my feet, adoring me. I asked him to get me the sock. He went off in the direction I pointed, then got distracted and started sniffing the floor. "Bring me that sock! Go get it! Fetch! Bring it here!". He ran back, empty-mouthed, seeking pets. "Cooter, " I said, "If you go under that bed and bring me that sock I'll give you a treat!". Cooter wagged his tail and gave me puppy-eyes. Meanwhile, Lupi, who had apparently only been pretending to sleep, jumped up at the word "treat", burrowed under the bed and brought me that sock in about 3 seconds.
How can I not love that selfish little creature?!
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 7:53pm PST 
My husband wasn't crazy over getting a dog, but if we did, he preferred female. He didn't want "some stupid boy" peeing all over everything.(His words.) So I ended up with Ace (female mystery mix - Husky & Malinois, I think, but I could be wrong). Then our daughter moved back home, with her male husky, Kale.

Since Kale is much mellower, now he likes Kale better. Go figure. And Kale always wants to be around the big strong male when thunderstorms and fireworks are going on.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 6: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6