GO!

Gender Preference??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:12pm PST 
Funny that what alot of people are saying about dogs I find true with cats. The boys are the absolute lovers and the girls are more to themselves. Maybe Sophie is an exceptional female dog but if she was any closer to me she'd be a siamese twin!!!dog walk
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:44pm PST 
I too have only ever had girls, and I don't mind at all! I am Miyu's "Person", and she much much prefers me to my husband. I did get very smitten with the one boy we did foster though, so definitely not against that.

But can I say this? Having only had girls, "red rockets" do gross me out a bit.... laugh out loud
[notify]
Lancer

Lickin your feet- all the time

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 2:37am PST 
I don't have much experience with other breeds, but for Miniature American Shepherds, I prefer girls. shh Female MAS tend to be easily corrected for behavior, less enthusiastic, easygoing, less playful and more independent in comparison to males.
Male MAS: a million tennis balls thrown into your lap per hour, carefree, overflowing tail wagging happiness, half a million invitations to rough-house, handler-oriented and testy, mouthier landshark stage, more "velcro-y", and more comically vocal (both whining and barking).

Also, the occasional humping is still disturbing... meditate

Edited by author Sat Nov 17, '12 2:44am PST

[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 6:02am PST 
Neutered malesbig grin I have never had an unaltered male, so I can't speak for those. I do have a spayed female dog but hubby is her person smile

IMO, I feel like male dogs bond better with women and female dogs with men. I may be crazy, but that is what I have noticed around mesmile I am sure you women with personal female dogs will disagreewink

Mind you, I wouldn't go as far as Tiller in my beliefsbig laugh

ETA as to breed, I have had in my life; GSD/Collie mix, Pap/Doxie mix, GSD/Husky mix, Beagle, Pom mix ( Bunny) , and Chi ( Princesse) Except for Princese they have all been males!

Edited by author Sat Nov 17, '12 6:11am PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 7:22am PST 
I think I prefer males. I sure would like to add a female to my family someday, though. I know Farley would adore her. laugh out loud The way he acts around some female dogs is so ridiculous and funny, it's like he loses his head. big laugh
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 11:22am PST 
I've had that feeling too, Bunny. A lot of women prefer the males, and a lot of men prefer the females. Plenty of exceptions of course, but that has been the trend I've noticed.

That's certainly been the case with my own dogs. My first dog was a male Golden, and he and my mother were completely bonded, which was good because he was the first dog she'd ever lived with, and she'd previously been a little scared of dogs. She decided we should get another Golden, she found the litter, she chose to get a female, and I raised the dog...and that dog fell in love with my brother, to the point where when he moved out he took her with him.

I probably will get a female someday, but in my limited experience, the boys just seem to click with me better.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 1:39pm PST 
I asked this question to two women who are regulars with their dogs at the beach. Both said they prefer males. Both said they felt that male dogs are more clingy and they liked that about each of theirs.
I tend to agree. I find that the male dogs I've had have been clingy and the females I've had, not so much.
I really like having a momma's boy for a dog. For instance, just now, Moose and I got home from the beach about an hour ago, so he's pretty tired. I sat at my kitchen table to eat and he came and laid down right next to me as he always does.
I got up, went into my office and within 2 minutes he gets up, comes in here with me and lays down right next to me. Never too tired to follow me from room to room. I just love that.

But, I've got two guy friends who have female dogs and both say that they'd only get female dogs. Both of their females are clingy to them. So, maybe human gender plays into it.

And it holds totally true for cats. Maybe even more so.
[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 2:12pm PST 
I have two female terriers so the next dog is definitely going to be a male. Will NOT be doing a multiple-female household again. laugh out loud
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 6:38pm PST 
Interestingly, most of my own personal dogs have been female and most of my fosters have been male. Not on purpose, just worked out that way...
A lot of my experience is with strays, and in fact off hand I can only think of one female dog that I've ever found as a stray and that was Ginger my Golden Retriever.

My females (excluding my family's first dog) were all very loving, sweet, and very attached to me (not independent). My last male dog (not counting fosters) was very independent, but he was a terrier so that is to be expected.

Almost all the females were spayed before I knew them though, the only intact female I've lived with was my family's first dog and she was not a very nice dog but she also was not raised very well by my parents.

Personally I think I tend to like females better but I'm most likely to own one of each, or some combination if I have more than two dogs. I've never had more than one female at once but the females I've owned didn't have any issues with other females and so that was mostly due to chance.

Edited by author Sat Nov 17, '12 6:41pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 7:44pm PST 
I'm with Tiller... If I could have found a way to breed dogs without any females I would have glady done it!!
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6