GO!

Gender Preference??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 8:01am PST 
I prefer females for my personal dogs. The smart girls are still my fave, which apparently is a good thing since it seems like there's more of them left to love with far fewer takers. wink

In handling for others, I don't have that strong a preference. Besides when you're working your personal preference doesn't matter a whole lot. The males were so easy that in the racing kennels I was mostly assigned the smart females after I'd been there awhile. Motivating a smart female grey to a stellar performance was much tougher (in that environment, anyway) I handle quite a few male terriers now, and I honestly enjoy them just as much as the females.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 8:21am PST 
I've had both girl and boy dogs. I think with dogs it might depend more on the individual dog. Ferdie was a female border collie with a personality of...a crackhead with ADHD. Then Sophie is a female pibble, energetic sometimes but only for squirrels.

Elliot was a male bassett hound, lumbering and cranky. Callie is a male American bulldog. Very energetic in play but just as easily a deep sleeping lap dog. It depends completely on the dawg.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:33am PST 
Between Nix and Ava, Ava being my first dog, and Nix being my first male dog, I know now that I prefer males. Girls are just a little too independent. Too moody. And when they're in heat...? Forget about it! laugh out loud Granted Ava has never been in heat since she was spayed at 6 months, but I find females in heat that I have had to deal with are... down right unpleasant.

If my experience in talking to other people, or working in grooming counts for anything, there's a good deal of truth to the idea that females are typically less affectionate.

Would I never own a female again? Not necessarily. I probably will in all honesty, but it's safe to say I generally like males more, and a male will be my first choice when it comes down to it in 10 years when it's time to get another dog. smile

Edited by author Fri Nov 16, '12 10:37am PST

[notify]

Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 11:15am PST 
Selli, I think that is soooo true! Especially of Goldens!
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 12:48pm PST 
What's not to love? big grin
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 12:59pm PST 
I've only had boys. Not by preference, just by chance. Never had a female, so it'd be interesting to try.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 1:31pm PST 
I prefer males, mostly because they tend to be a little more velcro, while females in general are more independent.

Males are also easier to keep intact, although my female Golden never gave me any trouble whenever she was in heat before we spayed her at 4. Onyx is my first intact male, so I don't know that I can really say if I prefer neutered or intact yet. But since so far I've only had positive effects from leaving him intact, that's currently my preference.
[notify]
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 1:52pm PST 
Boys smile I have never owned a female, but in daycare it seemed my favorite dogs were mostly the males. Just seemed to be the ones I connected with better. Personality definitely plays a role though.
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 3:31pm PST 
I have no preferences but for practical reasons my dog is a bitch and probably the future ones too.

I've never had a male dog. With experience of 5 intact bitches (two of them aren't with us any more), heats are no problem at home. They keep themselves clean and behave almost normally. Just have to keep them away from intact males. No dog park visits, training classes or trials during a heat, though, is a bit negative side, especially the training/trialling part (most trials don't allow bitches on heat here and local training facilities often limit their access too), but have to live with it. And because my and my parents' dogs are all bitches I can visit them any time with Alva without special arrangements.

When I was taking Alva I gave a thought for a male puppy but there was only one and he already had a home. And probably I would have chosen a bitch anyway. But I could try a male.
[notify]
Violet

Patience...it's- what I've got.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 4:42pm PST 
I strongly prefer females myself. They seem to bond more strongly with me and I love the mischievousness that seems to come with the female territory. Violet was actually intended to be primarily my wife's dog but there was some sort of connection forged immediately between myself and Violet in spite of my wife's being the one to both feed and train her. Females just seem to always be thinking and Violet always keeps me on my toes.

My wife strongly prefers males, she loves that gushiness about them and she bonded VERY strongly with our doberman the moment he walked through the door. Those two are inseparable. She plans to always have a male dobe so I suppose our preferences mesh well together laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 6: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6