GO!

Lowchens and other non-toy companion breeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:15pm PST 
Tibetan Spaniels are great dogs but I would never describe them as "biddable" (at least not mine). Our dog is very loving and fun to be around. But he can never be let off the leash and he is not great about coming when called -- even though we have taken him to classes and training. We have a fenced in yard so he gets plenty of outdoor time in addition to leashed walks, but if he wants something he will not let go of the idea.
[notify]
Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:15pm PST 
Tibetan Spaniels are great dogs but I would never describe them as "biddable" (at least not mine). Our dog is very loving and fun to be around. But he can never be let off the leash and he is not great about coming when called -- even though we have taken him to classes and training. We have a fenced in yard so he gets plenty of outdoor time in addition to leashed walks, but if he wants something he will not let go of the idea.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:19pm PST 
I've seen very few Havanese here... a couple through OB/agility, and that's about it. Then again this is Alabama, we don't really have much of anything.

I will look into the Lhasa, though I'm not totally sure "hard" is what I'm looking for either. I can get that fix elsewhere if I need to, haha... plus I worry about myself and being able to maintain "hard" and "cute" at the same time. Ridley already gets away with murder in the house... eat 2 loaves of bread? Well how could I be mad, what with those big brown eyes and all..... shh (don't tell Mulder I'm secretly soft, he'd become even more of an extortionist than he already is!)
[notify]

Buster

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:00pm PST 
A german spitz maybe but I have no idea of the availability in the US. Bigger than a pom but they're smart, biddable, athletic and pretty healthy. You have the grooming to consider of course though.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 5:19pm PST 
cloud 9 I love the Havanese and Lowchens! We see them at Agility Trials around this area (Idaho, Utah, Montana) all the time. An Agility judge has some awesome Lowchens...beautiful structure and temperament.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:42am PST 
"Preferably not a terrier, haha (not that there's nothing to be desired of course, but there is a line between "companion" and "dedicating my life to"!)."

Nothing better than dedicating one's life to a terrier. big grin Or a few...you'd like a Dale I bet, obviously larger than what you're talking about here, though. wink A few nice low key guys in this group...any love for Borders? Great dogs, not overly demanding for a terrier ha ha. I've met some surprisingly chill Norwich and Norfolks, too. Really stunning, stable hard workers.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:40pm PST 
Corgi? My Corgi mix is very biddable, only a little bit of a grouch. Smart and athletic and sweet...most of the time.
[notify]
Crystal

Design jewelry,- not dogs

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 2:29pm PST 
I gotta put in a vote for a Chinese Crested, perhaps a powder puff? My three are PERFECT!!! Trainable, but really don't push my buttons enough to think they need further training. They are entertaining, smart, active but not hyper and athletic...Crystal is the most amazing jumper I've ever had!!!
She is a luv bug inside when I'm relaxing, but will go outside as long as I can go. She is faster than a speeding bullet when she has something in her mouth to run with and if no one will play with her, she just tosses her toy and goes and catches it.
Hairless ones have more health issues but the puffs seem pretty healthy. All three of mine weigh around 14 - 15 lbs.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 10:08pm PST 
What about a "softer" terrier like a Border Terrier?
It also seems like Rat Terriers are popular as companions (for people not super into terriers).
[notify]
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:30pm PST 
It must be a regional thing, because there are lots of Havanese up here. They seem pretty friendly and sweet, as well as very spunky and athletic. The one we had at work today spent a few hours rough-housing with a Berger Picard that was at least six times his size! Definitely not your typical delicate fluffy little lap dog.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3