GO!

Hey Tiller - Still have that lovely English Setter?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:43pm PST 
Poodle, is there any other? laugh out loud Black female mini, competition prospect.

This is the breeder I've been talking to - http://www.kandansk.ca/index.htm

Edited by author Tue Nov 6, '12 12:46pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:57pm PST 
A ha! What a shock laugh out loud

I will check out the breeder....Toto would be excellent to chime in also as she is deep in that breed and can probably "read a pedigree" (those names all come to life when you have a strong pedigree knowledge) with one eye closed....but one thing I can tell you right off is that if you are looking for a competition prospect, you might want to consider going the route of a breeder return. That's what the "big boys" do, for then you have this great potential of getting a young adult who simply needs a "little bit more" than a same old/same old pet setting. A lot of top competitors in dog sports use that source almost exclusively. Not sure if you knew that?

And if you'd prefer to rescue, I totally could find you something. Would be a pleasure smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 1:11pm PST 
Toto's already given this breeder the thumbs up. I did tell them I would be interested in something older as I've never raised a puppy before.

I guess I'm just waivering because I want to compete but because of my location we won't be doing it every weekend or even every month. So I'm like...do I really need a top of the line breeder dog or just a better competition dog than Jewel?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 1:45pm PST 
If you are wavering, then maybe it is time to pull back and just sort of self explore. The competitions you involve yourself in? Well let me preface that I have two faces. I am Miss Topend Dog on one hand, but also Miss General Dog Lover on the other. When you go for that top of the line, you get a great prospect, but some level of demand, also. Whereas with a pet, you can go at your own pace and also don't feel that pressure. Moreover, there is that other sort of satisfaction, of having a dog who ended up in a bad situation, and now is enjoying that amazingly full life with you. Very few dogs don't vibe with agility, very few Poodles and mixes aren't a ridiculously fun training experience, you know?
[notify]
Rolo

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 10:01am PST 
Tiller, bet you can't find another of me! Duck Toller/Golden Retriever. Just kiddin! laugh out loud
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 10:23am PST 
I am currently trying to compete with a rescued poodle mix and maybe she's the acception to the rule but it's not going well. She's not into training or competition, when we go there she likes to lay in my arms and visit. She's not "on", amped or excited at all to be doing it. She really has no interest in pleasing me. Lots of people told me she wasn't a competition dog and I was set on proving them wrong. I still think she could get her CD and do well in Rally but I think I'm putting too much pressure on her because *I* want it so much.

I just really want a dog that wants to go and do these things with me and enjoy it with me. If I had a dog that was having fun I probably would sink a lot more money into it and start going to trials that were farther away but there's no point with Jewel.

I love rescue, Jewel is a rescue and I foster now but I worry about getting another rescue dog that isn't what I want and being disappointed. I also worry about getting a breeder dog that isn't what I want and being mad that I spent all that money to still end up with a dog I'm not happy with.

I have been going over this in my mind for months now and it's hard because we hardly get any poodles in rescue around here. If we do it's usually the groups that are pulling from the USA or Mexico so I don't have a large selection of rescue poodles to pick from if I go that route.

I'm just stuck and frustrated at this point.
[notify]
Rowan

Rowan T.- Brittany

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 8:18pm PST 
Tiller, I might need to pick your brain some time, too. I'm looking at getting a dog much sooner than I expected to be able to, maybe February or March if I'm lucky, and I have a very specific type that I'm looking for which doesn't seem to be common in rescues in my area. thinking
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 8:38pm PST 
Jewel, if you can commit, I can absolutely find you the prospect you want. I can foster/assess, and we can communicate and figure out if s/he's right for you. Let me know. There's even a Poodle-y Dogster person very into agility I might be able to get in the project as well!

Rowan....excellent! Please let me know smile
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:18am PST 
Hi Tiller ... I'm impressed with your match-making skills! Happy to hear of all the people interested in rescue too. smile

I sent you a pm a few days ago with more information about my friend. To sum it up, he basically needs a beginner-friendly dog.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:40am PST 
I just pmailed you smile Pics are loaded on Tiller's page, but there are plenty more I can find. Sorry about promo'ing the husky in the batch, but how does that not break your heart?! He is very friendly and so happy to be in a shelter frown
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4