GO!

Name Changing?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 3:25pm PST 
If you adopt a dog and they already have a name that you didnt like. Or if they didnt respond to the name they already have, is it very hard to change? What are the steps to change it?
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 4:37pm PST 
I have a friend who did that. They used lots of treats and used his name before every command. It didn't take long.
[notify]
Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 5:06pm PST 
Chase was Spirit at the shelter (and maybe in her previous life) and when my friend adopted her, she named her Tala.
Treats and praise when I said her name and she knew she was Chase within the week.
My friend adopted a dog on the weekend. Her name was Boots (who names a Giant Schnauzer boots?) and she already knows that Isabel is her name now.
[notify]

Lizzie, CGC

Fence Jumper

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 5:50pm PST 
Lizzie was between 6 and 9 when I got her from her old family. Her name was Buttercup. I just couldn't picture myself calling her that. I changed her name immediately with no issues.
[notify]
Sun

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 6:09pm PST 
I wonder if dogs remember their old names if they haven't been used in a long time. thinking
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 6:10pm PST 
Dora was four when I got her, and her name had been Dezi. I started calling her Dora, in connection with every good and positive thing--food, walks, toys, etc. In a day or so she was reliably responding to Dora.
[notify]
Buddy

Moms Handsome- Prince

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 6:18pm PST 
Buddy was Demon when I got him, taken from his registered name. I wanted no negative carry over from his former life so I changed it. Easy stuff, name, treat, name ,treat. It took just a few days, less time then to be able to touch him.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 6:24pm PST 
Not at all. Nicky's shelter name was "Whistle" (gag). He picked up on his new name pretty quickly. Paris was a stray so we had no idea what her name was previously and she didn't have any problems learning her new name either.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 9:49pm PST 
Changing names is easy. Tika was Fiona at the breeders and even went through two names before I finally landed on Tika. I played the 1000 Tika game, which is where I say the new name a minimum of 100 times a day for 10 days and give a cookie/treat each time I say the name in varying tones and emotions. Usually by day two they catch on...but I continue for longer as I want to really ingrain the new name. I've done that method with at least 8 foster dogs with great success.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 10:08pm PST 
Jackson was Chester when I got him! That wasn't staying! I just used the new name and he got used to it, no special steps involved at all.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3