GO!

Should "Hybrid Breeds" be Promoted

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 1:32pm PST 
Depends on what your criteria is for a "good" breeder though really, Watson, like Lilith said.

I think these breeders are good. Fully health tested breeding stock, waiting lists for puppies, contracts of sale and are honest about what a Labradoodle is. I would like to see their bitches though!

I know health testing isn't the ONLY thing that makes a good breeder but many people state that it's the no health testing of crossbreed litters that gets their back up the most. So, if people ARE health testing and doing everything right, then why they should be targeted? I understand there is probably a higher chance of finding poorly bred crossbreeds but it's not impossible.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 2:03pm PST 
I think health testing is the absolute minimum for breeding. And if you have that, it still doesn't mean you know enough to breed, at all. Extremely far from it. If that were true, then MANY people would be really great, distinguished breeders just by buying 2 dogs (purebred or mixed), and having them health tested and breeding them.

The problem I find with the breeder Tyler posted is that they don't even list out all prior litters, their pedigree, and how they've done generational work through each litter in refining what they hope to be a 'breed'. or even what they understand about the pedigree, what carries well and what doesn't. I mean, they even have an F1 (plus another) male at stud. For what reason? It's a breed in development. Dogs at stud at that early a generation should be used & their offspring selected from and kept from generation to the next. Not creating a bunch of litters from an F1 who is available for public stud to create litters you have no control of selection over.

It's hard to express it in words what it's meant to care about the future of the mix (or breed), its direction, or its development. This is basically what is lacking in ALL sorts of breeding, purebred or not.. simply, again, mixed breeders sort of by default have to take on more responsibilities.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 2:22pm PST 
Strange that they haven't titled their foundation stock, nor do they have pedigrees available on them, either. thinking

Good that they do health testing.

One of the things I like to look for is long-lived lines.
[notify]

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 2:30pm PST 
That's the drawback with going with such a new "type" of dog. I'm guessing that people who want multi generational pedigrees would not be seeking out a crossbreed in the first place though. I think the most i've seen a Labradoodle breeder offer to new puppy owners is a three or four generation pedigree.

But for the average family who asks on message boards where they can find Labradoodle puppies or information, I'd have no problems sending them the link to that breeder to contact further. Rather point them in that direction then force them to search the BYB ads.

ETA: Watson, there is another breeder i came across before ( don't have their link off hand though ) that has Doodles trained to the gun, working as therapy dogs, agility dogs and obedience dogs. More than can be said for most that's for sure!

Edited by author Fri Oct 12, '12 2:33pm PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 2:34pm PST 
No, no, I mean even if they're only in their 4th generation of development, they could still list, study & thoroughly understand the purebred foundation & earlier. Knowledge of pedigrees, mixed or not, are important and indispensable to intelligent breeding choices.

Edited by author Fri Oct 12, '12 2:41pm PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 2:53pm PST 
Found this breeder too, Barleors...website hasn't been updated in a few years but they appear to be better than the first breeder i linked to with lots more advice and information.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 6:21pm PST 
Neighbor has a mastiff/lab cross dog is extremely afraid of people and barks then runs away if I try interact with her.

I'm not sure if it's due to lack of socialization or mastiff part of her breed. She is still horrible with puppy like mouthing and jumping she is year old too.

They got her to be a guard dog, but she is more like a watch dog.

They also proudly keep saying she is a mastador whenever I say she is a lab/mastiff mix..

my opinion on that type of mix isn't a good one as it's not well socialized so can't really say how the mix really is..

To me a good guard dog is one that's well socialized and knows difference between mailmain dropping a package off or person wanting to cause harm..

I'm not fan of the designer dog craze.

I can understand making a new breed to serve a purpose or something like that, but most are trying to make a buck.

I seen shiba/husky pups for sale advertising as mini huskies and also seen shiba/alaskan klee kai for sale too sad. :
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 7:14pm PST 
I suppose it's unfair for me to say that "hybrid breeds" are terrible because there's so much bad breeding around them, considering that purebred dogs are also plagued by terrible backyard breeders. But honestly, designer dogs bother me deep down in my soul because I can't wrap my head around the idea of people mixing two different breeds together, giving it a fancy name and slapping a gigantic price tag on it. I will most likely always shudder when I hear people tell me they have a morkie, a cavachon or what have you that they got from a "breeder." If they are genuinely well-bred and from a real breeder who is trying to do something other than make money, then I can't really gripe about it. But I still won't like it. These are not "real" breeds of dog and I don't think they ever will be as far as kennel clubs go.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 12:05am PST 
Dogster needs to check itself. Trying to be appeasing to all tends to stir up more hostility than you would have had in the first place.

As in all things, there is a line where there is a healthy debate, and then where it just gets stupid. Like Snorkerdoodle or whatever have you. Labradoodle is a fine debate. That breed-thingie-or-whatever-you-call-it annoys me to no end, as there is a very fine..and I mean VERY fine...all purpose dog named a Lab, and there is a very fine dog of high style and snazz known as a Poodle, both iconic in their trainability and versatility, and quite frankly if a Lab couldn't turn you on, or a Spoo couldn't turn you on, enough, then WTF are you doing breeding them together. That's just horse hockey to me.

AH, but still a debate. And a fair one.

Snorkerdoodle, though? I mean honestly. There is no debate there. It's slap 'em together and you get to say ANYTHING. Not only is this a discredit to breeding the right way, not only are these breeders spared from evaluations more easily held on others, but for CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!, it is an affront to rescue and it....hear me here....KILLS dogs!

That's straight up. My rant for the night. As an adoptions counselor, I hear a lot from people who do not want a purebred because they want to avoid genetic problems in health and temperament. Ok, flawed logic perhaps, but a lot of people do think that and want a mix. And pay $2,000 for a Snorkerdoodle. Well I know of plenty of Snorkerdoodles. PUPPIES, even! It really raises my hackles that these money grubbing pots of grossness are coming in on territory that to me is categorically NOT ethical!

Oh....for.....shame!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 4:22am PST 
Tiller...applauseapplause
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3