GO!

Doing my research for a potential First Dog...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 5:06pm PST 
I just gonna chime in that a Bernese Mountain Dog fits your desires for a dog also. They are generally pretty lazy, they need walks like every dog but they are not gonna wanna run for hours like some other breeds. I know many who are great with rabbits, cats, other dogs, and kids. As long as the grooming aspect does not bother you (ideally they should be brushed once a week) then I would definitely look into them. Berners tend to be aloof towards strangers but due to their size most non-dog savvy people hesitate when coming up to them.
[notify]
Archiebald- (RIP)

I Run This- Place!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 11:05am PST 
I suggest going to your local animal shelter and seeing if you like any dog there. I heard there is a shelter in Boston (that is near you, right?) called Petharbor, so I looked it up and it has plenty of large dog mixes. I also suggest a Great Dane, they are known to be very lazy and good apartment dogs, although they are quite big thinking.
P.S. If you do go look at a shelter for your next dog remember to bring your roommate who doesn't really like dogs because maybe she will she one she likes, you never know!snoopydogwisheshug
[notify]
Archiebald- (RIP)

I Run This- Place!

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 11:07am PST 
Oh yea I forgot. Sometimes it helps to go to a dog show if you are looking for a purebred because there you could see mostly all the breeds and you can talk to the breeders to see what they say about the breed. Good luck on your new pup!wishes
[notify]

Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 1:24pm PST 
What about a plain old mixed breed that is generally friendly, and has a happy nature. The little guy I have now loves almost everyone--but when a man passed us on the street and came back around to to us--Lincoln became very upset with him. He placed his body between me and the man and did the "Cujo" act. I was so taken back--but the way he/Lincoln behaved, I knew he was trying to protect us from that man. The man took off, and Lincoln settled down--but he turned around many times to watch that man until he disappeared from sight. I was really shaken! Another time we had a nesting Mama Mockingbird that was buzz bombing people as they walked by her territory. Well, she came flying straight at me--face on--and Lincoln jumped up in the air at her and gave her a real "bark out". The bird..and ME was totally taken back! She veered off immediately. A family was walking in the other direction and saw him take that bird on. They all were laughing--and told me and Lincoln that I had a pretty serious foe in that little bird. You know, that bird never bothered me and Lincoln again. We walked by in peace every day from then on! happy dance So you see it isn't the breed, it's the BOND that you have with your dog.kissing Personally I like Spaniel-mixes!dog He makes friends with almost everyone--loves kids, cats and me!!!
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 3:41pm PST 
Yeah, any sort of terrier or hound should not be on your list.

I would recommend a Doberman, or Golden Retriever. Trained properly these two breeds are some of the most loyal, intelligent, protective, loving and they can also be good with other animals. My friend owns a large Doberman and he's one of the sweetest dogs I've come across, really calm and he even lets the cat sleep by his side!

Sadly there are a lot of myths and misconceptions about Dobermans floating around, they really are not vicious as long as you train them and socialize them. ANY dog that isn't properly trained or socialized will have the potential to cause major problems.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 11:26am PST 
Quite frankly OP, if I were you and those were my circumstances I'd consider something much smaller and none of what's been suggested here thus far.

Think Pug, Lhasa, Shih-tzu....something along those lines.

Until you get a place of your own I'd always caution against getting any kind of large breed dog. If you need to move, for whatever reason, it can be incredibly tough to find a place that'll accept dogs at all, certain breeds such as the Chow, Doberman and German Shepherd especially. Not impossible some places, but definitely as tough as it gets when it comes to owning a dog and renting. Not to mention there are added liabilities when renting with a dog. Many home owners or rental insurance policies will not insure dogs of certain breeds, if you are even able to find one that is willing to let you move in with a large breed dog at all. Not that they're bad, or the stigma is deserved, but it is something to consider when you don't own your own home and it can make things considerably more difficult.

Tiller's suggestion is fantastic. When you are ready definitely take advantage of the offer if you are able. To have someone knowledgeable to help you not only breed match but match on an individual level is priceless.

It'll definitely set you up for the best chance at a successful match.

Edited by author Mon Oct 8, '12 11:28am PST

[notify]
Jazz

Surf's up, let's- go to the beach!

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 1:38pm PST 
I agree with Trigger. It's very common in rental property to limit dog size to 30lbs, or under. Also, if you have a large dog in a small space, you are constantly tripping over it.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 2:06pm PST 
in Boston. . .Boston Terrier! they might be smaller than what you want, but they're a riot to have around.

I would consider a smaller dog. Size restriction is an important thing to consider. I have been renting all my life and that's the big issue. Under 35 lbs is definitely preferable in an apartment. Plus the smaller ones are easier to litterbox train.

Other than that, I would not pick scent hounds not just because of rabbits, but because of their baying.

I would also say basenji might suit you very well. Whippet if you get one as a puppy, you can train it to leave the rabbit alone. If you like that spitz look, do american eskimo, german spitz mittel.
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 6:09pm PST 
How about a Standard Poodle? They are active dogs, they need to be taken on long walks a day. They weigh around 45-75 pounds, they are large breed dogs. They are very social breeds that are usually great with people and other animals. They make pretty good guard dogs.

From what I've heard from Standard Poodle owners, they are wonderful breeds that make wonderful companion dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4