GO!

Neighbor's Dog

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 5:59am PST 
This beautiful dog is kept outside in the backyard for quite a while. I don't know if it's all day or not, but s/he's there when I feed Lobo in the morning, and there when I feed him in the evening.

When I first saw him/her, I immediately though some kind of GSD mix. I'd only seen him/her through the fence, so I couldn't see.

Now I'm thinking something of a Kelpie mix, or maybe a Heeler mix? Not totally sure.

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Sorry for the poor quality. I put my camera on autofocus because I was sitting on a fence and didn't have the time nor patience to mess with the settings.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 6:07am PST 
She really looks to me like a Kelpie or Kelpie mix of some sort. She is a really beautiful dog and its shame they keep her all day in the backyard. That type of dog needs a job to do. But i have neighbors who have a chocolate lab, they leave him outside all the time and he got really fat.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 6:16am PST 
nuts. i love that dog. i want it!
[notify]

Lobo

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 6:40am PST 
I just went out there again and looked through the cracks in the fence: Definitely a girl!

Also, she's that attentive and "bold" because the first couple of times I climbed the fence, I dropped little morsels of food. She was very growly and quite fearful at first, and we would hear her crying all day long.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:47am PST 
She's gorgeous! And looks well-fed which is a good sign.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 8:47am PST 
I agree I see some Kelpie in there. Definitely well-fed, looks chunky, actually. If the dog is being overfed and is subjected to just be outside in the yard all day and the owners feel that is "sufficient care" then that's sad. Especially for a working breed like that (any dog, really)! frown
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 5:59pm PST 
I agree, Farley. ): She's out there barking right now, actually.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 6:02pm PST 
Yup, that's a fat kelpie.

They do well outside. They were bred to handle the heat so I'm not too fussed about her being an outdoors dog. (Although the fact she's crying is sad, this is a very vocal breed when they get lonely. frown )Her weight is another issue altogether, though. silenced Could you offer to walk her? That's too much pork for this breed! I mean, mine is a bit flabby from winter and he's still nowhere her size! Poor thing.

Edited by author Tue Sep 11, '12 6:04pm PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 6:40pm PST 
I don't have an issue with it just being outdoors, the issue is that it appears to be left alone and not given any attention or socialization or work to do. Being an outdoor dog on say, an acreage or farm is different than being an "outdoor dog" that is simply banished to the backyard all day (assuming of course, that it is alone out there all day).

I think offering to walk it is a good idea! smile

Edited by author Tue Sep 11, '12 6:40pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:07pm PST 
Absolutely, Farles. That's likely why she's crying, she's bored and lonely. frown I feel so bad for her.

A friend of my mother got a working line border collie pup for their one year old son (I know, I know) and just relegated it to the yard. Then they got a pool, so the dog only had a metre of space around the pool fence. And every time it barked they just threw it treats. In the end it was too fat to get up or bark or anything. frown

I see this happen a lot, sadly. Food is the best 'shut-up' agent for people who don't do anything with their dogs. I have seen soooo many obese herders in my time it's scary. One bc I met was wider than a shetland pony.
shock
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2