|Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 8:51am PST |
|I have some personal experiences with a few ode breeds as well. I'm just going to throw what I know out there...
1. Corgi: No. My brother has one that I call an alligator. He is totally out of control. He nips, chases, destroys, and even is scetchy with adults. Great breed if you put in time to train and exercise. 45 mins won't cut it.
2. Bassett hound: This one is iffy. And here is why, while, yes, they have a reputation for being lazy, they also aren't always great with kids. My dad recently had to put down his 12 year old bassett nick-named "Snippy B****" because she would bite kids who messed with her too much. Also, young ones are quite rambunctious. They don't come lazy. I suggest talking to a Bassett rescue that can place you with one that has proven to have a stable temperament. Otherwise, they are awesome dogs and 45 mins may prove too much of a walk! Haha.
3. Greyhounds: YES! These guys have a reputation of being outrageously calm and great with kids--just show caution with small pets. I've worked with a few (volunteered with a greyhound rescue) and they are sweet dogs!
4. Pugs: Who doesn't love these silly fellows. Not only are they great with kids, but they're funny at home without a huge need for outdoor exercise.
5. French Bulldogs: since no one has mentioned them yet, they fall under "pug" category. Adorable to boot and sweet as pie. Funny little dudes. Check for good breeding (as with ALL dogs).
6. Shelties: erm... I don't think this is the best decision based on your requirement.
7. Mastiff? While they are "calm" they are also huge, and still need higher exercise than you're willing to provide, IMHO.
8. If you're into the big guys, you may want to consider an Irish Wolfhound. I've met a couple and my husband is in love with them. They fall in the sight hound catagory of 40 MPH couch potatoes. I still think a bit more than 45 mins will be necessary for the first year or two, but they settle well.
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|