GO!

Good low energy breeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 1:15pm PST 
I've had real difficulty determining which dog breeds are suited to me. I'll be honest- I'm not a particularly active person, and even though I plan on walking my dog every day, I really don't fancy a walk that exceeds 45 mins. It also has to be sturdy enough to handle small children and be relatively OK around them. I have absolutely no preferences other than those two. Any suggestions?
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 1:39pm PST 
I've heard Cavaliers are good family dogs, you may want to look into those. Try to stay away from tiny breeds (ie, Chihuahuas) as most of those are not good with children, and could be easily hurt by them. Most terrier breeds are going to be quite active, as well as hunting and herding type dogs. Make sure to look into any medical issues they may have and things like that. I would also recommend looking at shelter dogs after deciding what you would prefer, rescues would probably be able to better match you with a dog if you want to check those out. There are breed-specific rescues as well which would be cheaper then going to a breeder; if you do decide to go with a breeder, please do your homework and find a really good breeder...otherwise, you could end up with a dog that has a lot of health and mental issues.

Some other breeds I'm just tossing out:

Basset Hound
Bernese Mountain Dog
Great Dane smile
Mastiff
Japanese Chin
Shih Tzu
Bulldog

Good luck in your search! I think determining which breed best suits your lifestyle is part of the fun in finding a dog. way to go

Edited by author Mon Aug 13, '12 1:45pm PST

[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:35pm PST 
I agree with cavalier king Charles spaniel as the top choice. big grin They're great all-around family dogs, and have a sturdy build.

And then there's Corgis, which is the new hip thing. LOL. But really, they're playful, friendly, and sturdy for rough and tumble with minimal exercise requirements.

More breeds that fit pretty well with your requirements:
Shetland Sheepdog
Pekingese
Pug
Lhasa Apso
Cocker Spaniel
West Highland Terrier

Some of these are up to moderate energy, but with kids giving them playtime AND 45 minute walks per day, everything should work out fine.

Edited by author Mon Aug 13, '12 3:40pm PST

[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:38pm PST 
Basset Hound!!!! I just fostered one and she was SO awesome! We did two 20-30 minute walks a day plus some running around the yard and she was done! She got adopted by a family with a 3 month old baby girl and they sent me an e-mail saying the hound was in luuuuuv. She likes to give the baby kisses and then flop her ears over the baby and make her laugh.
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 3:45pm PST 
Do you mind a dog that barks a lot?
How do you define a lot?
Are people coming and going at your house all the time?
Do you want a dog that sleeps whenever it is indoors, or one that is always doing something?
How many hours will it have to spend alone every day?
How much grooming are you willing to do?
Do you want to do all grooming yourself or are you okay taking the dog to a professional?
Are you okay with getting an adult dog? (I've never met a puppy that as fine with the equivalent of just a 45 minute walk once a day.)
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 4:40pm PST 
I would not do a Sheltie or a Peke...both may have issues with children. Westies and Shelties are also quite energetic.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 5:02pm PST 
A Greyhound could work. Many are very gentle with children and are relatively easy dogs to own as they are pretty much an all around low maintenance breed.

The Cavalier is a good suggestion but they're not the healthiest of breeds and that can be quite disheartening and/or off putting.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 5:24pm PST 
Corgis are also high energy and may herd or nip at children.
I second the Greyhound. There's a reason they're called the 45 mile an hour couch potato! smile
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 6:03pm PST 
Oop, don't mind me then. confused Still very much depends on the individual dog and its upbringing though, so of course OP keep that in mind!

OP, you can consider or disregard what I say, but I'll just throw out a couple comments on my personal experience with the breeds-- (I'm acquainted with through family, neighbors, and friends) -- the pekingese I know ADORES children- the smaller and more rambunctious, the better LOL. She grew up since puppyhood with a 7 year old girl, and has grown into an extremely children-friendly pup.
Both male corgi and female sheltie I know are also both pretty solemn and laid-back; their owners take them on an hour stroll around the neighborhood at the end of the day together. Though the corgi is more outgoing than the sheltie (the sheltie is more cautious around strangers), both are very content and stable dogs!

Right, didn't mention before, but thanks for pulling it out-- both the pekingese and the cavalier tend to develop eye problems and other health issues later in life, apparently more at risk than most other breeds. Both pups I knew developed cataracts at ages 7 and 10. So that's the pitfall. confused

Edited by author Mon Aug 13, '12 6:15pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 10:52am PST 
I would like to second the poster who said that corgis are high energy and nippy. They're *not* a low energy dog just because they have short legs, and many corgis aren't particularly fond of children unless properly introduced at length.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3