GO!

Tell me about Tollers

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 5:27am PST 
All the ones i know of are pets, some compete in obedience & agility too. All are really well rounded dogs. Like with any breed, temperament & energy varies throughout the breed, but i'd consider them average in terms of their energy going by the ones i've met. Boxers have WAY more energy than any Toller IMO.

Edited by author Thu Aug 9, '12 5:30am PST

[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 6:58am PST 
True, this is where it's important to know what region of the country or another country a poster is talking about. Missy's experience with Toller's is the exact opposite of mine. No way have I met one with less energy than a boxer. The tollers here are wound much tighter, very drivey dogs. Boxers here are pretty high energy but they're not very drivey. I'm on the east coast of the US and Tollers are kept as high drive hunt test dogs and working dogs. True, they can also be pets, no doubt about it. But in this area, if a person wants a gun dog who is also a family pet, they tend to go with one of the setter/spaniel types or a lab. (Working/field bred labs are not all that common here) The toller is more similar to what border collies are like here, they're just not for the faint of heart.

It all comes down to what lines the dog is from, I guess...
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 7:44am PST 
Im in the midwest i believe (michigan) thinking Been a long time since i took geography red face but thats really crazy that a boxer would have more energy than a toller.
[notify]

Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 8:33am PST 
I would describe most Boxers I meet as having a manic, yet easy going energy. Tollers have a more focused energy and are more serious about their work.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 8:49am PST 
Boxers are bouncy and have a really rambunctious kind of energy IME, and the Tollers i met and know of in general are more chilled out. They're ready for action whenever you need them to be, but at the same time they have an off switch.

I think it's been mentioned before that some of our breeds do differ slightly temperamentally between our two countries so it's probably true that our experiences are based on our locations and the different lines used.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 9:33am PST 
I've hunted behind a few, they get the job done but their energy doesn't appeal to me at all.

I adore near bonkers intensity in a dogs work mode, which they have plenty of (or should, certainly plenty more than a Boxer does), but I prefer goofballs off the clock. They don't look to extract joy out of life like some other bird dog breeds do. I like a dog that'll take a discarded plastic bottle on the ground and turn it into Christmas morning. Such enthusiasm would be beneath a Toller. The point of such goofiness would go right over top of their heads, you could almost hear them roll their eyes. In other words down time means - blah. Not that blah is bad by any means, they just lack luster to me and wouldn't be worth trying to expel that intense energy just to get to the "blah" other side of their make up. For some though it's considered a fantastic temperament. Another version of a Chessie without the chip on the shoulder and snark.

As someone else mentioned already the gene pool is astonishingly small. I do not buy that geographically, lines are all that different from one another. I think it's no different than the plight of any other bird dog breed in existence....if the individual is never exposed to what makes it great it'll never have the chance to revel in it.

Not that it wouldn't, or doesn't want to, it's just never been gifted the time or effort to show it's true greatness. Or it's been gifted but in all the wrong ways and it's ended up souring them on the prospect. You can turn off up to and including straight ruin any great bird dog in 5 minutes flat. This breed is no exception, and I'd say is more at risk because they aren't as forgiving and tend to be shy as it is. Chessie meets Cocker in that regard?

Most people today get a bird dog breed and treat it like a shih-tzu, of course in that environment it's going to do it's best to adapt and make the best of it's life regardless of the deficit. That doesn't mean birdiness is not or shouldn't be in them, it's merely human influence restricting or inhibiting inherent instinct is all.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 12:35pm PST 
Thanks for all the info on this breed. wave I was just generoulsy curious about them as there are not many around me. Not sure in the future if i would ever own one. I do really want my next dog to at least like the water and want to swim like me. They are beautiful dogs though. cloud 9cloud 9
[notify]
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 7:37pm PST 
Tollers are heart stealers. Lilith was. But, like others have said are very high energy and need something to do- doesn't necessarily have to be a job either. Just something stimulating.They do however have an off switch, at least once they are a bit older.
I've found that they are more of a one-person-dog breed. They cling to their person and no one else. Although they do acknowledge other peoples existence.
They are prone to auto-immune disorders due to the small breeding pool. Because of this they can only get very limited vaccines so you don't stress out their immune systems. Some will even put them on a raw diet to help prevent that.
They are insanely smart and take to clicker training like its nothing. I think in regards to that, the skies the limit.
They fetch like no other breed I've seen and have an obsession with water, Lilith especially loved splashing.

If you have any questions about Tollers, you can PM me anytime.

Edited by author Fri Aug 10, '12 7:40pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:19pm PST 
The Toller, of course, is not limited to being a hunting companion. These dogs have a typical Nova Scotian personality. They are extremely gentle, friendly, faithful companions and alert watch dogs. They are even used occasionally as herding dogs for cattle or sheep. Because of their innate playful nature and tendency not to roam, they also make unsurpassed playmates for children, and although they are excellent, alert watch dogs, we have never seen a Toller that was cross or ugly

Taken from Little River Kennels, Yarmouth County NS. Widely held as the founding kennel and breeders of some of the top Tollers ever bred, both show and field. I would hazard a guess that they know the dogs well. Also the kennel the dogs in my circle of friends and family came from.
As far as geographic splits in a breed, GSD anyone?
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 10:26pm PST 
Skyline, i noticed you were talking about Lilith in past tense... did something happen to her? frown
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3