GO!

This is what NH SPCA says about Pittie's.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 8:27pm PST 
I was pleasantly surprised when I read this on their website:

What Do You Really Know About "Pitbulls"?

Pitbulls make extraordinary companions! The term "Pitbull" is NOT a breed; it is a catch all phrase to describe 3 distinct breeds of dogs: the American Pitbull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Any way you slice it,Pitbulls are some of the most affectionate, loyal, and people loving pups on the block. With consistency, clarity, training, and leadership, you will never find a more constant companion than a Pitbull. Contrary to what the media would like you to believe,these dogs are far from "vicious" and they do not have specialized "locking jaws"- they are NOT alligators! Pitbulls are generally goofy dogs who are full of spunk, energy, and fun, fun, FUN! In fact, in a recent study by the American Temperament Test Society of 122 different breeds of dogs, Pitbulls achieved an average passing rate of 83.9%. That's better than Beagles (78.2%) and Golden Retrievers (83.2%). There are so many myths out there about Pitbulls that simply just aren't true. They are loving, loyal, and cuddly as teddy bears…come fall in love with a "bully" today!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 9:05pm PST 
cheercheercheercheercheerway to goway to goway to goway to goway to godancingdancingdancinghappy dancehappy dancehappy dancepartypartypartypartypartyhamster dancehamster dancehamster dance blue dogblue dogblue dogapplauseapplauseapplause=hi5hi5hi5

Just printed it to give to a few people I know! Thank you!big hug
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 11:03pm PST 
It's great to see people advocating for the breed.

Too bad the ATTS has fudged the results to get the desired numbers. Unfortunately the NH SPCA refers to the results which is going to make people look up the results and see what I saw.

They tested 839 APBTs
They tested 1629 Dobermans

Many breeds they only tested 1 of. This hardly represents fair testing.
Incidently they tested 3133 GSDs.
[notify]

"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 7:08am PST 
A Pit Bull with a proper temperament will be very friendly with humans but not so with other dogs. I think Humane Societies and others adopting out PBs need to advertise that also.
[notify]
Giorgio

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 7:37am PST 
Maricopa County (Phoenix, AZ) has something similar on their website, which I think is awesome as pitties and chihuahuas seem to be all we have in our shelters here. frown There are *so* many! But I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have a whole section on their site (http://www.maricopa.gov/Pets/pitbulls.aspx) dedicated to "pitbulls," with this info:

WHAT IS A PIT BULL
American Staffordshire Terrier - American Pit Bull Terrier - Staffordshire Bull Terrier

TRAITS
Patient
Loyal
Enthusiastic
Strong
Athletic
H igh Energy
Loving
Affectionate
Courageous

NEEDS
Exercise
Affecti on
Committed Owner
Compassion
Companionship
Training
Structure
Socialization

MYTH
Pit Bulls jaws do not lock. Their jaw structure is no different than other dogs. They are just powerful, tenacious, and do not give up easily
The Breed

Pit Bulls are one of the strongest and smartest dogs out there. Because of this, they make wonderful companions for responsible, active, knowledgeable owners. A Pit Bull can be hard to handle for an inexperienced dog owner, or for those unfamiliar with the breed. Pit Bulls are smart and eager to please; because of this, they are very responsive and excel in training. If you are thinking of adding a Pit Bull to your family, here are some things to take into account:
Most Pit Bulls do best as the only dog in the household.
If you do have another dog, get a Pit Bull of the opposite sex.
Introduce new dogs on a leash, preferably away from the home.
Supervise dogs when they are together; don’t leave them alone.
Never leave food, toys, or bones lying around.
Do not take your Pit Bull to an off-leash dog park.
Enroll your Pit Bull in a dog training class.
Pit Bulls in Maricopa County

30% of the dogs that come into MCACC’s Animal Care Centers are Pit Bull breeds. 70% of those are euthanized. That’s 9,000 a year that lose their lives. In order to changes those numbers, everybody needs to take responsibility to be informed so these dogs aren’t overbred, brought into the wrong homes, and turn up at the shelter.

They also have this YouTube video, which I really liked-- http://youtu.be/hw5aThdcxsE

Things to know

Fighting: Pit Bulls were originally bred to fight and every Pit Bull has that trait in them. They may fight over status, or because they get too excited. A responsible owner must remember that their dog can cause serious injury.

Human Aggression: While Pit Bulls were bred to fight, they were not bred for human aggression. If they show aggression towards humans, they have most likely been abused, never socialized, or not treated right. A Pit Bull kept on a tie out in the back yard, for instance, would be a good candidate to attack.
Check out our educational brochure.
Read "Where Do The Pits Go" (http://www.maricopa.gov/Pets/PitsGo.aspx) from Dr. Rodrigo Silva

Check out any of the great web sites, below, to learn more about this misunderstood breed.
www.pbrc.net
www.bestfriends.org
www.bullseyerescue.org
w ww.blessthebullys.com
www.badrap.org
www.hellobully.com
www.forpi tssake.org
www.maydaypitbullrescue.org
www.happypitbull.com
www.a spca.org

relieved Sorry for hijacking the thread, and the gigantic post, but although out local AC&C is incredibly overwhelmed and has a horrendously high euthanasia rate, I was kind of proud to see some of the educational efforts they have made. smile
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 7:46am PST 
No problem Giorgio........Anything anyone can add is appreciated. We had to fib about my mother-in-laws pit mix and say she was a Boxer mix, because she was going to lose her house insurance. So, the more educated people are, the better. applause
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 3:10am PST 
I agree that pittie's are extreme cuddlers, kissers, sweet, goofy, spunky dogs as long as they're properly socialized, trained, and raised the right way. When i was going to school to be a vet tech, we did many of our labs on the shelter pittie's and they all thought they were lap dogs BOL. Although yesterday (July 15th) while i was walking my standard dachshund boomer, a blue nosed pit attacked boomer and I cry. He was calmly sniffing the grass while his owner was on her phone. I saw him and decided to walk the other way (since the area i'm in the pitties around here are not raised properly). As soon as the dog noticed boomer he darted like a freight train straight for us. The owner lost control of the dog and she either let go of the leash or it slipped out of her hand. Boomer tried to get away by slipping between my legs and the pit ended up biting me instead. I let go of boomer's leash thinking that its not doing him any good being tethered. The owner finally got her dog's leash and boomer booked it home. Instead of asking her questions even though she was apologizing to me over and over all i had to say to her was "you should have more control of your dog, If you can't control your dog and handle his strength he's obviously not the pet for you" she told me that she did have a handle on her dog and i told her obviously not or this would of never happened. And then i took off after boomer. He was waiting for me by our front door. I looked over him 3x thoroughly checking for injuries. He had none thankfully. I'm the only one with the injury.. Which it isn't a deep puncture wound. Its more of a scrape from his teeth and it has caused a bruise. Thankfully one of the security guards of the neighborhood saw the whole thing and was able to talk to the owner after I left. From what the security guard told me, he said that the owner was looking for me to see if boomer and i were okay which i give her props for since a lot of owners don't do that after the other person was a jerk during the situation. I feel bad for being a jerk to her but i was so angry that it happened.

Even though this happened to me and one of my dogs I don't have hatred towards the breed. I just wish owners had taken great care to socializing their dogs with all types of dogs, other pets, kids etc. Or if they know their dogs aren't great with other dogs, i wish they would take extra precaution with their pits so these type of situations don't happen. I met so many sweet pits in my life time that you wouldn't think that these dogs can have a mean bone in their body.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 7:01am PST 
"A Pit Bull with a proper temperament will be very friendly with humans but not so with other dogs."

That isn't always the case. Many pits are fine with other dogs and do very well living with groups of dogs. There are now ten of them in my circle of family and friends, all adopted and all are wonderful with other dogs, strangers and family. Very few pits are 'game-bred' these days, they're actually very hard to find. There are plenty of poorly socialized pits out there and those who are not well-raised that don't do well with other dogs.

That said, they are terriers so they do have a potential to be dog aggressive and I wouldn't sugar coat that to an adopter if any dog had that propensity. But to say that pits always bad with other dogs isn't fair, either.

ETA: Just saw that 'don't take your pit to an offleash dog park.' I know several pits that love going to Dp's and do much better than many other breeds of dogs there. That's a 'know thy dog' thing and to generalize that to saying no pits belong there doesn't help and it's not true. Some owners and some dogs don't belong there, but it shouldn't be said of an entire breed.

Edited by author Mon Jul 16, '12 7:06am PST

[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 8:57am PST 
Oh, there are plenty of Pitties in SE Michigan who are bred for fighting, more that are just bred to be mean looking dogs.

As to my comment concerning their "correct" temperament, remember they were originally bred as pit fighting dogs, being Game is as much a part of their correct temperament as loving to swim is for a Newfoundland.
[notify]
Dingo

All business no- play, I have a- job to do

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 12:26pm PST 
Love it. One reason why I always tell people that the most dangerous part about a Pit is their tail. Because it acts like a whip when they wag it in excitement. Which they are almost always excited. It is the people who give these dogs a bad rap, not the breed. Any breed will act aggressive if abused, enticed, and "trained" to do so.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2