GO!

Basset Hounds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 8:25am PST 
Just talked to my rescue and looks like I'm going to be fostering a 6 year old female basset hound.

What can I expect from her breed wise?
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 2:47pm PST 
AROOO! AROOO! AROOO!

LOL!

My dad has a Basset named Precious, she is all of 8 years old and nicknamed "snippy B*****."

She may walk halfway around the block when they go on nightly walks, then she stops, plants her butt, and someone has to drive the truck around to go get her (no, I'm not making that up). She loves to nap in the sunshine, "excited" is all of 30 seconds bouncing around "Aroo"ing, and she LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEESSSS a good belly rub. She isn't good with kids (thus, the nickname).

She'll howl if you howl with her. smile

She also has a zillion health problems, mostly from a poor diet, but poor breeding definitely has something to do with it. She is stubborn, moody, and hilarious.

She is also the best movie watcher in the house, snuggling right up next to you for hours, and hours, and hours (it's cause she's LAZY).

kitty
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 3:10pm PST 
Oh I hope you get lots of 'they are awful' replies, cause they are a breed I always thought would be perfect for my husband smile And you are too close to me!

Would love the silliness and the laziness. Although Maci would have her nose out of joint having to share the couch. Good thing I am broke!

Do let me know more about her though and I will spread the word.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 3:23pm PST 
I saw her picture and as far as I can tell she's in good shape so I'm happy about that! way to go

Really excited about this because I love the look of Bassets. I'll post you lots and lots of pictures Maci. laugh out loud

Hoping to get her this weekend.

Thanks for the info Gunner. laugh out loud
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 8:14pm PST 
ACK!!! Just saw this!!

Yay for scent hound love!! Don't let her off leash whatever you do!! big grin

I can't wait to see pictures!! (hint, hint)

But hounds are very independent. Sometimes this can come out as stubborn. I think Jewel was this way a bit when you got her, right? So you'll be ready. LOL My dogs like to go out, have fun a few minutes, then nap for 3 hours. If she is a puppy, she might want a little more activity. Hounds are solar powered. They love laying in the sun.

Edited by author Thu Jul 12, '12 8:18pm PST

[notify]
Luna

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 9:31pm PST 
Basset hounds love to howl. They can be very loud especially if they are excited. There's a guy that goes to the dog park that I attend that has 3 and they all start tuning in with their howls and that is all you hear. Be aware that they do get degenerated disc disease and other spinal injuries due to them having a big body, long spine and short legs. So make sure she stays at a good weight to prevent these problems. But on a good note they are cuddle bugs and lovers. Very lazy! May drool a bit since they have what i call drool pockets in their jowls. So keeps a rag to wipe off the drool if you see it hanging from her mouth. Good luck with your new hound smile
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 9:33pm PST 
Sooo... this might be hijacking the thread a bit, but I just read on FB that Precious was put down today. I underestimated her age, she was actually 11. My dad is heartbroken, I'm sure my step-mom is too. They've had her since just after they got married.

Snuggle your little basset foster today, mine is at the Rainbow Bridge. rainbow
[notify]
Droopy CD,- RA, HH, TDI,- CGC

I didn't do it

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 5:44am PST 
Gunner- So sorry about Precious.hug

Bassets are my love. They are clowns and don't take life too seriously. They do enjoy a good snooze and will be as lazy as you allow them to be. If you keep them active, they will be active. If you are a couch potato, they will happily sleep the day away on the couch. Some are louder than others. They often get labeled as stubborn and untrainable, but that is not true. They are self pleasing and could care less what you want them to do. You just have to find the correct motivation and make them think training is their idea. Some are slobbery. They can sling drool. They can reach higher on counter tops than you might think. They are creative problem solvers in their quest to find food. Most are highly food motivated. They have a tenancy to become overweight. They will follow their nose anywhere. Must always be in a securely fenced area or on leash. They are pack animals and prefer to be with a buddy. They usually get along well with other dogs and people. They are big dogs on short legs. They are determined. Some have a high prey drive. Be careful around cats and other small furry animals until you know how they react. They can be speed bumps and lay right in the way and refuse to move. They are huggable and loveable dogs and I couldn't imagine life without one, or two.hamster dance
[notify]
Droopy CD,- RA, HH, TDI,- CGC

I didn't do it

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 6:53am PST 
How could I forget....Selective hearing

A basset can hear a single piece of food fall or a food wrapper rustle from a dead sleep, but they will never hear you calling for them.

They also shed quite a bit. The dust mop gets a workout at my house. If I skip a day, I will get little basset hair tumbleweeds on the tile.

Their ears need to be cleaned out frequently. They can have problems with ear infections. Depending on how long their ears are and the placement, they can also get stuff crusted on the outside of their ears. Zippy drags his ears through everything. I have to use the Furminator to get the gunk scraped off. Droopy doesn't get too much on his.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 8:47am PST 
Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll be getting her tomorrow as long as I get my car back from the shop today. way to go

I got to see the form her family filled out for turning her over to us, they used the word "stubborn" several times. laugh out loud I remember taking months to get Jewel to do a down and a 20 minute stare down to get a sit for supper so I think I'm ready. laugh out loud

They also mentioned several other small issues that I believe will be solved with simple rules and attention.

Thank you to whom ever mentioned the ears!! Should I be cleaning them once a week?

Are bassets prone to bloat?

My little dogs do several short walks a day instead of one big one so hopefully that works for Bailey.

Gunner - hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3