GO!

Pug Lovers and Owners..talk to me here!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 10:23am PST 
I will be honest. I have never once cared for Pugs. I did not think they were adorable at all, nor did I ever meet a very friendly one. Until recently...

A few days ago when we went to pick up Nevah, her former owner has 6 pure black pugs. Which I have never seen in person before...let me tell ya words cannot describe these dogs. Not only being cute, they were one of the most friendly and comical group of dogs I have met.

Hubby has always liked the mushy face dogs. I too have had a secret admire for them. We are aware of the generic health issues. We would certainly love to hear what you guy's have to say about this breed though. As of recent we are researching English Bulldogs, Pugs, Frenchies, and Bostons. By no means do we plan to add to our fur family any time soon, as we have our hands full. Just simply feeding an interest.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 10:42am PST 
A lot have health problems especially with breathing and hemivertabrae frown but if you keep them fit they can be pretty athletic if it's not too warm there's a whole agility team of them here and one is grade 5 (it goes up to grade 7 and then you go into champion level). They're clowns and love to make you laugh and they adore children. Pretty nice little dogs if you like the brachy types
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jul 11, '12 9:15am PST 
Another smushy face lover here wave I have always loved pugs but have never onwned one. The ones i have met have always been super friendly.
[notify]

Harvey

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 1:10pm PST 
Ha, there's nothing like a peck of pugs (a flock of pugs?) to establish new converts to the breed!

In my experience, very little effort is required to produce extraordinarily sweet and easygoing pugs. They're super easy to socialize and train -- especially if edible rewards are involved. Most are very promiscuous with their affections: my family's pug would follow anyone home who petted her. They're a lot sturdier than other toy breeds and much less likely to snap at anyone waving fingers in their faces, which makes them pretty perfect to be around little kids. They're bossy about their mealtimes and will probably always be underfoot in the kitchen (and possibly in the rest of the house as well).

None of our flat-faced dogs have suffered breathing complications but they do need to be watched extra closely in the heat. Weight management is a never-ending battle. My guy, Harvey, LOVES our many walks but spends almost every moment indoors asleep on the couch. They're fairly fabulous little creatures.

I also universally adore Boston Terriers (pugs with higher energy? tiny labrador retrievers?) and English Bulldogs. Smoosh face dogs (and cats) seem to make up for any points lost in the aesthetic and health categories with sheer affability.
[notify]