GO!

Basset Bleu de Gascogne Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Elsa

mycooldog.wordpr- ess.com

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 12:36pm PST 
Can someone please help? We have been searching high and low for a Basset Bleu de Gascogne breeder in the U.S. with no luck. It's been years now and we've only found breeders over seas and it is just too costly to either go there and get the puppy or have him flown over. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 1:57pm PST 
No help for you unfortunately, but what I'd recommend doing is contact the UK's KC and asking if they an get you in touch with any breeders over there who might have some info for you. I'm sure the UK breeders will have better contacts with French kennels, who in turn could point you in the right direction. After all, if there are any in the US, they had to have imported them from SOMEWHERE.

Good luck way to go

Edit- Apparently they can be registered UKC. Only one breeder is listed, but I bet you could contact the UKC as well and ask for recommendations.

Edited by author Wed Jul 4, '12 2:00pm PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 9:59pm PST 
Have you gotten quotes from importing, and you know for a fact it's more expensive to import than it would be to buy stateside?

I'm just saying, this is a rare breed and if there is a breeder in the states, odds are they are going to be priced at higher than average too normally.

In my breed, it's really not that much .. sometimes even cheaper..confused to import from a GREAT kennel overseas than it is to buy from some subpar $$$ breeders here.
[notify]

Elsa

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 7:04am PST 
Thank you both, I had been in touch with the breeder on the ukc's website a couple years back but he rarely has a litter and his last breeding attempt was unsuccessful. I was quoted over 2500 to have a puppy imported from france which unfortunately Is just too much for us to dish out.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 7:16am PST 
Why don't you contact the UKC listed breeder again and ask for referrals? Most decent breeders will gladly give you their recommended contacts. Sometimes that's the way to go. It's not unusual for some breeders to price high when exporting but just keep in mind that not all do..

Edited by author Thu Jul 5, '12 7:17am PST

[notify]
Buster

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 7:38am PST 
Just something from Mulder's post someone asked about the breed on a UK based forum a couple of months ago and was told the only people who had been breeding them here had stopped or moved. There are still a couple around but there would be no way of getting one from the UK.

This man is listed as owning them on a reputable breeders site though maybe if you get in touch with him
Mr S. Brooks
stuartjbrooks@hotmail.com
He might be able to help

Edited by author Thu Jul 5, '12 7:40am PST

[notify]
Elsa

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 8:58am PST 
Wow you guys are great. Thanks so much!
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 6:57pm PST 
Are you planning on showing? The breed has no unique traits or attributes so what's the pull (besides color and rarity)?

If you are looking at doing herding work why not consider corgis, valhounds, or bassets which have 90% of the same attributes (small hardy stumpy and herdy).
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:07pm PST 
Did you seriously just call Bassets "herdy"... and compare them to Corgis?

Wow.

Sure the people who created and breed the Basset Bleu would be pretty offended by your sentiment of them having "no unique traits or attributes".
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:23pm PST 
I concur with Mulder.

Bassets are certainly NOT herdy.

It would be such a slow herding process that would be quickly abandoned.

Nothing would ever get done if you left the job to a Basset.

Y'know, unless the job involved copious amounts of sniffing stuff. If you ever need to find every gross/semi-edible thing on the ground, call a Basset.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2