|Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 7:06pm PST |
|Mals, Tervs, Groens, etc. appear in shelters ALL the time. Miami in particular gets 2-8 per month. It is pretty easy to arrange transport if you ask local rescues and give them your location.
If you decide to go with a breeder find one who:
- only breeds CH. a good breeder needs to prove their stock in the ring and ideally out in the field as well. there is never a good excuse to breed an unproven dog
- tests eyes, hips, heart, etc. and only breeds dogs who are rated as excellent
- keeps up with puppies and can tell you where they are now
- sells puppy to pet homes who are active in the performance world
- has multiple generations of proven performance dogs
- actively socializes puppies with a variety of dogs, people, floor surfaces, noises, objects, etc.
- feeds a premium food (NOT iams, science diet, purina, pedigree, etc.)
- will turn down an average home for a GREAT home even if it means waiting longer
- would never consider letting a puppy go before 8 (ideally 12) weeks
Good breeders are out there and are a joy to work with. A poor quality breeder can leave you with a poorly socialized puppy with no drive and cruddy hips and then you'll really be up a creek.
|my posts | my page | msg me | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|