GO!

How soon would you get another dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '12 2:14pm PST 
There were 4 years between mine, but that was just the way it worked out. I think I started wanting a second one after about 2 yearssmile
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 8:59pm PST 
Ava was just over 2 when I started looking for another puppy.

She's kind of a lazy girl though. We joke that she's practically an old lady at the age of 3.. It's hard to imagine that when she was a puppy she was ever what one would call playful, considering these days she seems to think she's too mature to be caught playing with toys (occasionally she'll let loose and joyously bound after a stick, but she gets bored with it fast and don't you even think for a second that she'll bring it back! She has too much dignity for that! laugh out loud

Anyway, I always wanted a dog who was more Naturally toy motivated than Ava, so by the time she was 2 I was ready for another puppy.

Now that I have Nix...? Well, I still find myself wanting more Border Collies, but I don't think I'll seriously be ready for another one until he's at least 5, or maybe even older. He needs a lot more time to mature. wink But to be honest, I will most likely be waiting years and years until one (or both) of them are gone from old age before getting the next. I feel like if I brought in a third dog it would be harder for me to make sure everyone's getting their fair share of attention.

So... IMO, definitely no less than 2 years between puppies even with lazy temperaments, but for some, depending on the dog, it could be much longer.

Edited by author Fri Jul 6, '12 9:06pm PST

[notify]
Lola

But I did it for- the family!!!

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 2:27pm PST 
This is a very difficult question as there is no right time to bring another dog home. I think it all depends on the breed, type of personality of the puppy and dog you want, and how your commitments fit into your pets' lives. I think a rule of thumb is have the puppy trained and accustomed to your living space before bringing in another dog. Obviously, they need to get along so having compatible pets which often mean same breed different gender, etc. will help. Think about how much time you will be able to devote having the two get accustomed to each other and when you feel comfortable leaving them alone while you're gone.
[notify]

Bello

Herr Bello ist- nicht ein- Mensch!

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 2:38pm PST 
If it is planned, I would ideally wait a year between dogs.
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 2:40pm PST 
Gunner was two, and taught Paisley all his worst things. I'm working on things like recall etc... with them, but it's nearly impossible to train because Gunner taught her to run through the woods. He would have never been okay, anyway.

Pixie showed up exactly two months after I brought four month old Paisley home. The dogs are a grand total of four months apart in age. I have one thing to say about that: NEVER AGAIN.

Two pups at the same time is H.E. double hockey sticks. One peed while the other ripped open our recliner chair, by the time I had the pee cleaned up another was pooping with the first was chewing through electrical cords.

I'm not making that up.

I will AT ALL COSTS avoid having two puppies at the same time.

Heck, I may only have ONE dog next go around.

Hopefully, I have a good 10+ years to think that over. wink
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jul 15, '12 5:15am PST 
I am looking forward in buying my first dog. I am interested in buying German Shepard's... What do you people have to say.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2