GO!

Doing it Right This Time

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:30am PST 
Well my mom has her next dog picked out and wants another Great Dane when Zoe goes. This time we want to do it right and get one from a reputable breeder. after having Apollo and him coming from a byb and having the worst aggression issues we dont want that. After finding and working with Kashmir's breeder we learned what a good breeder is. I send christmas cards to them everyear and attend their annual walk a thon for charity. But we got lucky finding them. How would we go about finding one? Would a michigan great dane club have reputable breeders listed? I dont want to pick one out of the paper like we did with Apollo. I want to make sure we have a good quality dane.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:41am PST 
Yeah, you're on the right track with finding your local GD club or breeders' association. Find out what events they have coming up this summer (that's often when clubs have their big meetups and events) and go. Really watch the dogs and find out who owns the ones you like.

I've found it's pretty easy to talk to dedicated dog people (and I'm not great socially) I say "I've really been admiring your dogs. If you have time would you mind telling me about them?" Very rarely will someone day "Nah I don't like talking about my gorgeous dogs that I've worked so hard to breed well, train, and trial" wink They may not have time right then, so I just ask if/when we can catch up later. I LOVE talking about dogs, so this part is fun. After a bit you can start asking if any litters are in the planning stages. Best of luck to you in your search! big grin
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:46am PST 
Well, I couldn't find a website for the Michigan Dane club. Maybe try the Great Dane Club of America ? I looked and they do have breeder listings, some in Michigan. No guarantee of course that anyone listed there is perfect, but in theory they should be following the Code of Ethics set out by the breed club in order to be listed there. You could also try joining a Dane-specific forum to get dirt on particulars of the breed, like what lines to look for, what to avoid. Great Danes Online looks like a good resource, they have forums, info pages, breeder listings, etc.
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 11:14am PST 
Thanks everybody. That seems like a good idea Lucille on finding something going on this summer. I forgot to mention it doesnt have to be just in michigan but around Michigan, i believe my mom would willing to travel to Ohio, Indiana or sometohter state that isnt to far away. @Bruno thanks for the links ill show them to my mom when she gets home. way to go Im really hoping to show this dog also that would be a plus if the breeder we find has show quality pups. I miss showing since Kashmir is fixed, but ill have to check on the cropping issue. Not sure if you can show one natural but we deff dont want to crop.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 2:12pm PST 
You can definitely show natural Danes.
[notify]
Tuvok

Toovy Doovy Doo- Ready and- Willing!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 2:16pm PST 
Go to a local dog show and hang around the breed rings. Find the great Danes and talk to the handlers. Make a day of it and have a good time.

There are local dog shows in Michigan and Ohio all the time. Go to the AKC website under events and find one near you.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 3:05pm PST 
Oh thats good to know i hated when we cropped our dogs ears. I like it all natural. And thanks Tuvok. I know the detroit kennel club show passed in march, i didnt get to really talk with anybody because i was handling my breeders dog. But i will look that over.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:59pm PST 
Make sure you discuss life span with the breeders you talk to. Heart problems can be an issue so be sure to question any excessively short life spans in their breeding stock. I knew a gentleman years ago who had tried a Dane 3 times. First one died at 6, second one at 3, third one at 18 months.
[notify]
Homer

Homer's Where- the Heart is

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 7:55am PST 
I know the Ann Arbor Kennel Club show will be in Monroe Michigan the weekend of July 7th. We will be there with Homer. I believe there are usually a good amount of Great Danes there. There is also the Wolverine Great Dane Club. They might be a good place to find some local breeders.
[notify]