GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 13: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:27am PST 
Looks like the "Morkie" article is down-- I couldn't find it again. shrug
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:36am PST 
Never mind-- it came back up!
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 7:49am PST 
...except you don't usually get just the traits you like. And as the beforehand mentioned Puggle, people are breeding them for the 'cute' factor, but it is not a good match. I don't believe breeding dogs just because you want a 'cute' lap dog is ever a good idea. wink

Another thing which has already been mentioned; they probably are not giving info on good responsible breeders of these 'designer' dogs...because there are none, or to give the benefit of the doubt, next to none.

There are not many mutts being bred responsibly. Those that are breeding mixes have a specific goal in mind...not just because they think that mix will be cute. They have already been mentioned as well, kinds like Bandogs and dogs that mushers breed...only the best of the best of several breeds to get an even better sled dog.

To clarify: I use the term 'mutt' here for any dog that is not a purebred (including to refer to the offspring of two purebreds). The term mutt is not, to me, derogatory (I love my mutts!), but to me it is simple. If it is not a purebred, then it is a mix, which is a mutt; to me there is no difference between a mix and a mutt.

Edited by author Sat Jun 30, '12 7:58am PST

[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 7:53am PST 
Actually, I would NOT call these mixes mutts...not in the least. You know the dad and the mom and what they were exactly, so they're not mutts.

I reserve the name mutts for the truly mixed and mashed dogs of unknown origins. And I loves me some mutts. Seriously doubt I'll ever own a purebred as mutts just strike such a cord with me.

I've never met a labradoodle that wanted to bite, wasn't friendly, etc. So there are some things you can predict from them

Actually, there were these 2 labradoodles (ugly as all get out too) at the dog park that had serious resource guarding issues. If they wanted a drink, they made sure nobody else was around "their" bowl. And it was intense. The general overt friendliness that people desire from the lab side most certainly wasn't present.

I actually had to ask the guy what they were as they were large, curly and a mix of white and grey. Never seen a labradoodle look like that, but after he said what they were, I totally saw it.

Now, I'm coming off a bit harsh on the dogs. Really, I love all dogs and often have play dates with my cousin's goldendoodle, who is a total spazball. Dogs, in any form, will put a smile on my face.

But I can not for the life of me figure out WHY people are creating these mixes other than for the $$.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 8:40am PST 
I agree Sanka. A mutt, or Mongrel as they tend to be called here, is what i call a dog with unknown parentage and/or a dog with more than two known breeds in it's mix. A crossbreed is just a simple cross of two purebreds.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 9:17am PST 
I don't mind ethical crossbreeders here there's a lot of people that breed lurchers sighthounds crossed with terriers and herding dogs for working dogs and a lot of crossbreeds bred for agility but I object to people throwing together any two dogs with no health tests, no titles on the adults giving it a cute name and selling for ridiculous money. We meet a pekingese/poodle a few weeks ago and the owner was convinced it wouldn't shed and would be perfectly healthy because it was a cross she had paid £1000 for it too confused. I've never met a labradoodle that wasn't completely mad if a rather nice dog but the breeders that are hipscoring are getting some terrible results frown

There was an advert the other week for newfie/poodle puppies guaranteed not to shed or drool naughty for some ridiculous money

Edited by author Sat Jun 30, '12 9:21am PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 2:36pm PST 
I found this sentence on a well known Labradoodle breeders website yesterday...However, this is a boisterous breed and calm and Labradoodle do not sit easily in the same sentence!. I've only met one calm, very well trained Labradoodle and he was owned by a trainer. The rest have been quite mad and way to much bounce for my personal taste.

If you look around though it's quite easy to find decent breeders of Labradoodles. One breeder i've just been looking at has even trained her Doodles as Gundogs! Some of her other dogs are working therapy dogs and competing in agility. I think it's rather unfair to state that ALL crossbreed breeders of "designer" dogs are doing so purely ffor profit or because they're irresponsible. Some can't be doing anymore than they already are. It must be very hard for them when their "breed" is such a controversial topic all over the world.
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 3:48pm PST 
thinking The only Hybrid you should pay a bundle for is a car, but they take a while to recoup the $$. wink

I'm old school. I guess. I still think of mixed breeds as mutts. The fact that folks create them on purpose gets my dander up. The VAST majority are in it just for the big dollars they can bring in. A cutesy name doesn't mean a healthy, allergy free, smart, biddable, or whatever they're promoting, dog.

The Doodle craze amazes me. Why mix? Just get a Poodle! They're fabulously smart, funny, athletic dogs! Get.the.real.thing.

I've always owned mutts. Rusty is my first purebred, but he's a rescue. I've looked into other purebreds, but he snuck into my heart. I've seen Designeer Dogs sell for more that a tested, proven breed. I'm with your sentiment, Sarah, and the craze just disgusts me.......
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 5:12pm PST 
This was my week to groom the doodle clients. OMD, they are DIFFICULT!!! Way too big and usually crazy and won't stand on the table, won't let me touch their faces or their feet and on and on. I NEVER met a sane one yet!!!
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 5:30pm PST 
"I don't mind ethical crossbreeders here there's a lot of people that breed lurchers sighthounds crossed with terriers and herding dogs for working dogs and a lot of crossbreeds bred for agility"

I'm not generally a fan of sportdog mix breedings for agility (They're usually to get BC/Malinois ability in a shorter height class) but in their defense they are purpose bred. In terms of working dogs KNPV Dutch Shepherds are usually not purebreds. Pit bull, GSD and lots of other dogs of questionable parentage have been crossed in for years but it's not a secret. Actually finding a KNPV dog with an FCI pedigree is like an inside joke because you have to assume at least 1/2 is faked. They are pure purpose bred which actually runs toward breeding a type rather than a cute name.

While the Labradoodle may have originally had a purpose even the original breeders gave it up as a lost cause when they became trendy.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 13: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13