GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 13: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:57am PST 
Additionally I think the mix in question sort of "earns" the name after they start breeding true. Right now they're maltese x yorkie mixes. 10-20 years from now with a good breeding program, then the name morkie should be applied

This is what i pretty much believe too. Labradoodles and Cockerpoo's are the only designer crossbreeds that i feel deserve their names and are established as "breeds" in their own rights.

Edited by author Fri Jun 29, '12 10:57am PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 11:02am PST 
Takes more than breeding true... takes at least a number of established unrelated lines and a large enough, self sustainable pool of dogs to come close to being a 'breed'.

Many people are breeding small numbers of mutts which 'breed true' - since they heavily apply the use of inbreeding. These dogs do not constitute a breed even if they breed true.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 11:12am PST 
Rigby "The only reason I dislike the use of the word "hybrid" in this context is because people seem to use it as a hierarchy of mixing." I haven't come across that in real life, but I'm sure it's possible. The reason I posted that is because veterinary geneticists use it and it is correct in the context of cross breeding for a purpose in breeds of animals. Cattle, dogs, pigs you name it...hybrids can be important in the saving of heirloom breeds and improving stock in general.

ETA: those geneticists also use the term heterosis. Here's an interesting post on it from the canine perspective below. Interestingly enough, few top breeders in cattle or any livestock think hybrid vigour is a myth. Outcrosses have been used judiciously throughout history.
http://everydogsblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/myth-of-myth-of- hybrid-vigor.html

Edited by author Fri Jun 29, '12 11:22am PST

[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 11:25am PST 
Ugh, I see what you mean, Sarah--that was one "happy dappy" article and it sounds like they're planning to make it a regular Thursday thing . . . . most of the responses were negative, so maybe they'll see the light.

I put in my two cents---I esp. hated the way the author said "don't call them designer dogs" -- they're "popular mix-up pups"! Der, so if we give this sort of thing a more PC sounding, cutesy name, it makes it all o.k.? Give me a break!naughty
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 12:43pm PST 
They've been doing it for about a month as far as I can see- they've done "goldendoodles", "puggles" (shoot me now- I've fostered a few and those dogs are NUTS), "cockapoos", and now the "morkie". The new cutesy thing "mixed-up pups" I think was in response to some earlier negative comments because the original articles didn't say that...
[notify]
Dingo

All business no- play, I have a- job to do

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 1:21pm PST 
This kind of stuff infuriates me. No responsible and respectable breeder agrees or would even think of breeding in this manner. It is only the backyard and make a fast buck breeders that are making up these ridiculous mixes. And I have seen some insane mixes that were purposely bred such as:

Lab x Scottie
Poodle x Pug x Yorkie
Dachsound x Pug
Lab x Shih Tzu (not even axactly sure how this one came about)

People buy these dogs on a whim and then dump them when they grow out of their cute puppy looks and it is just disgusting. The shelters and rescues are flooded with these animals and I really wish people would grow a brain and realize the harm that they are doing by supporting this.

I am also disgusted by all the people who get a dog for an accessory. Carrying them everywhere, dressing them up in clothes, and lugging them around in purses. The teacup concept is just absurd.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 3:48pm PST 
I find it laughable (sarcastic laughter) when I come across some breeder or pet store website...and the designer dogs/hybrids/mutts (as if a lot of time, effort, and planning were put into the breeding, and the results are more precious and valuable than their purebred counterparts) are more expensive than the purebreds (which could actually be titled/shown/etc)...thinking

I find it even more laughable that people actually fall for that line of thinking, and believe that what they have is an actual breed.shrug

All my dogs are mixes (albeit unknown ones, so I have the ultimate designer mystery dogs, hahaha!), so I don't have anything against the dogs themselves...just the way they are being bred and advertised.

Edited by author Fri Jun 29, '12 3:52pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 4:38pm PST 
Going along with those webpages and ads from the "designer dog" breed people Twister is referring to, I seriously believe the internet has done way more damage to the dog population as a whole than any good it may have provided.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:39pm PST 
Also wanted to add that I don't think anyone here, at least not myself personally, is against cross-bred dogs.

Far from it, I think there are plenty of crosses that are worth breeding for and serve important purposes. Bandogs, lurchers, many different types of cur and hound crosses- they all serve a purpose.

I actually know of some people who breed Beagle/Jack crosses (commonly refereed to as "Jackabees") for use in hunting and falconry, and are great lovers of these dogs as WORKERS and rabbit dogs.

Its not an uncommon practice to cross the similar protection breeds (such as GSDs and Belgians) for better protection dogs- the KNPV has been doing it since who knows when, and its hard to argue with what those dogs are capable of.

Mushers cross dogs all the time to produce superior sled dogs, breeding any dog who is a superior runner.

I admit to having a bit of an affinity for bandogs- I like a solid dog, but I really don't like the "bully" look so much. So anything that smooths that out for me, while still giving great substance of body, is attractive in my eyes. And to be perfectly honest, using breeds like the Neo in THIS way, when done correctly of course, is probably better for that breed as a whole than continuing to breed purebred Neapolitan Mastiff confused
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:26am PST 
The main things, for me, are health testing, proper birth-to-new-home care and socialization, and providing good homes for the dogs (ie, some form of screening and taking the dog back if placement doesn't work out). Beyond that, I'm pretty flexible to be perfectly honest.

Maybe it's because I come from more of a toy breed enthusiast end of things, where most of the dogs' original purpose WAS just to be cute and lovable, but I don't really relate much to the "breed for a purpose" argument. If someone wants to cross two (or more) breeds, and their only purpose in doing so is because they want a dog with a particular set of traits and they can't find them in any one breed (which, yes, does happen), then as long as they do it responsibly, I'm fine with that. Part of doing it responsibly, of course, is letting their puppy buyers know that they might get any jumble of traits from the two parent breeds (especially on a first-generation cross). But for people who love both parent breeds and just can't decide between the two, a crossbreed is a good option. Just like it can be a good option for someone who wants some traits from one and some from the other provided they can do it right.

I do think because the vast majority of mixed-breed (or "designer") dogs ARE bred so irresponsibly, articles like this should provide some information about choosing a good breeder (at least a link to another article would be good!). But so should articles about purebred dogs, to be honest. There should just be more information out there about the importance of genetic health testing, proper care of parent dogs, and early socialization in general - that would solve the problem faster than demonizing designer dogs and/or shaming people for wanting one, which is as likely to make people feel defensive (and therefore more likely to dig in their heels and stick to their chosen course) as it is to change anything.

So let the cutesy names stay, I say! Just educate people about responsible puppy buying and the rest will take care of itself.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 13: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13