GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 13: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:52am PST 
I love standard poodles, but am not such a fan of labs, but I do like labradoodles, the mix NORMALLY creates a good mix between the two. The poodle kind of takes the edge off the lab personality. I've met a lot od labradoodles and they have all generally been calm, easy to work on( in a vet office), well mannered, and sweet. I've never met a labradoodle that wanted to bite, wasn't friendly, etc. So there are some things you can predict from them. Let's take a Pom, originally they were much bigger and were used for sled pulling, today they have been bred down to the little lap dog for no other purpose then to be a lapdog, but does anyone complain about that? Not really. My point is a lot of the toy breeds, were bred down smaller just to be lap dogs. And yet people don't complain about it, why is that?
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 8:25am PST 
Zephyr: " The 2% are whoops litters from breeders with well-bred dogs"

Thank you, they do exist. Lucille is from such a litter. Her sire was an AKC titled Dale, an absolutely stellar dog I knew well. His owner was good friends with an owner of a Std poodle, also shown AKC. That guy died and his family was leaving his house to take the female to the pound because no one wanted to care for her or bother to re-home her. So Dale owner took her in and was in the process of trying to rehome her that week when...He didn't missmate shot because he's a bit old-fashioned, not a mutt hater and was confident he could find good homes. All littermates are thriving to this day.

It's a tough time to own a cross right now. I've gotten tons of flak, but I guess if I claim to have rescued her I'd be ok with those folks. I only paid the cost of her vet bills, though.

Hybrid is a scientifically accurate term that can also be used. I know veterinarians who specialize in conserving genetic material and they use the term in this context: "The second type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.'

Sometimes it's intentional with reasonable purpose. In the US if you own a 'hybrid grey' it's likely you own a cross between an AKC grey and an NGA grey. They're trying to improve their AKC dogs for lure coursing (years of breeding for conformation only has not helped them on the course to put it mildly) by bringing in NGA genes because those dogs are bred for speed and function. AKC was allowing them to be registered, then it went back and forth.

I have issues with the practice to make money only and sucker in folks who impulse buy and/or know very little about dog breeds in general. I agree that Dogster is missing an opportunity here to educate about the aftermath we see in rescue from mills and BYBs producing for the cute name fad.
ETA: Typos galore.

Edited by author Fri Jun 29, '12 8:33am PST

[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 8:49am PST 
Not to sway the original topic of discussion.....

The only reason I dislike the use of the word "hybrid" in this context is because people seem to use it as a hierarchy of mixing.
To my understanding, the general public sees it like this:
1. Hybrid
2. Cross-bred
3. Mixed breed
4. Mutt
5. Mongrel
To some, a "morkie" is considered a rare and valuable hybrid, which is held to much higher regard that my "common mutt"

If people were to be proud of what they had and not feel some form of bizarre inferiority to purebreds (although I'm sure there's still "breedist" people out there fueling that fire), I don't think this would be as big of an issue.
But there are those that seem to be at constant battle "mixes are healthier than purebreds", "mixes are smarter than purebreds" etc. etc. (and I know there are some purebred owners who are guilty of the same type of comments).

I own a mutt and I own a purebred. Both good dogs, and none is held higher than the other in my mind. That being said, I don't feel it necessary to mash the breed names together to make my mutt more different than she already is.

Additionally I think the mix in question sort of "earns" the name after they start breeding true. Right now they're maltese x yorkie mixes. 10-20 years from now with a good breeding program, then the name morkie should be applied.

I don't know, I'm rambling now shrug
All in all, Dogster missed an opportunity to educate people.
[notify]

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 8:54am PST 
I love all dogs too. What I don't love is the milling and what comes with it- the filthy conditions, being bred every heat, living their entire life in a cage, no veterinary care, no social interaction. Not to mention the profit made on the suffering of animals. I also don't love the indiscriminate breeding- breeding unhealthy dogs, passing down genetic health issues, and breeding dogs with unstable temperaments. The general lack of care is appalling when it comes to the production of these mixes. The Dogster tag line is "For the love of dog." This does not sound like love to me. Perhaps they have a different definition of "love." shrug

Edited by author Fri Jun 29, '12 8:56am PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 9:17am PST 
Radly, is temperament your only qualification on what makes a good pet? There are plenty of super friendly dogs in shelters that are about as well bred as most labradoodles I've seen.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 9:36am PST 
Designer cross or purebred, puppy mills are a problem. But sometimes it seems like owners of purebreds think theirs are the only kind of dogs that should be permitted to breed while all mutts should be fixed.

I'll never buy a dog as long as I live. Shelter or rescue only.

Funny thing is, my "mutt" may be a designer mix. No way of knowing for sure without DNA test, but of all the dog pictures I've seen online while trying to figure out just what she is, the biggest resemblance is to a handful of Belusky dogs (Belgian Mal/Husky mix). Whoever had that idea, thanks for my dog, if that is indeed what she is. I guess the mix was originally called a Huskinois, bred with the intent of combining the endurance of the Husky with the guard ability of the Mal. Didn't work out so well for that purpose since Huskies are horrible guard dogs smile but they sure are pretty.
[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:08am PST 
I agree that designer crosses are mutts, I have one Mozart is a Bichpoo a Bichon Frise/ Toy Poodle mix. But when people ask what he is I don't say oh he is a designer breed or hbyrid and I don't call him a mutteek I just say he is a mix of a Bichon and Toy Poodle and people sometimes will say he is a mutt and sometimes they will say oh you have one of those designer breeds which I respond I guess so and change the subject. I know that most crosses are from puppy mills, I know Mozart is from a pet store, and it makes me feel sick to my stomach everday. I think that if you want a mixed breed to check the shelters alot of times they even have mixed breed puppies.

Mozart is a pet store dog, who is super obedient super smart knows a bunch of tricks has a great temperament and in my eyes he is beautiful! But I also put in alot of hard work since he was 8 weeks old and he is 9 months almost 10 months old.

I also get pissed off when people say that purebreds are better healthier etc, that is not always the case. I have a couple of dogs in my life the first was a mixed breed dog from the shelter sweetest dog ever and she lived for 13 years. Second dog Yorkie boy from a very good breeder the most beautiful Yorkie ever got him at 16 weeks old but he was extremely shy and had fear aggression with dogs on day one took about year for him to trust me, he had luxating patella in his left back leg and would hold it up in the air. When he was 2 years old got a shot at the vet and everything went downhill from there he could not walk go to the bathroom eat would fall to the right head tilt. He had to be put to sleep last year he was three years old. So my point is just because you get a dog from a great breeder does not always mean that they will be healthy and live a long life, I am NOT saying that I support puppy mills and badly bred dogs, but it makes me angry that people just assume that if you get a purebred from a breeder who does all the testing and right things that their dog is going to perfect and healthy, that is not the case training also has to play a huge part in it tooway to go
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:24am PST 
- If people were to be proud of what they had and not feel some form of bizarre inferiority to purebreds (although I'm sure there's still "breedist" people out there fueling that fire), I don't think this would be as big of an issue. -

I LOVE my mutt! I have a purebred Aussie too that was a rescue, but I love my mutt more! (shh- don't tell Lizzie). I don't feel like Sarah is inferior. What I DO feel is that there are people with purebred dogs who think their dog is better- regardless if it came from a top notch kennel, or a mill. I get the same feeling from owners of these fad mixes. I belong to a few Aussie groups and the dogs can do the most boring thing, but the people think it's so cool because it was an Aussie who did it. Anyhow... That's a different subject.

Just irks me that Dogster totally missed the boat on this one... When you promote "morkies", you are in essence promoting puppy mills...
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:41am PST 
Radley,

It is statements like this : "I've never met a labradoodle that wanted to bite, wasn't friendly, etc. So there are some things you can predict from them", that get my hackles up.
I have met many, many skitish, shy, and not-so-friendly labradoodles. A local dog trainer I know of got into dog training because after a life of owning labs she decided to get a labradoodle and that doodle was super reactive and had temperament issues from puppyhood. Dealing with her puppy made her go on to want to help others. In my own training classes, I have had several labradoodles that have been extremely shy, one to the point that I believe she could be a fear biter without further appropriate training.
So no, labradoodles, nor any other dog automatically come with with set temperaments up that make them all the perfect dog.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:53am PST 
I love my mutt whether she's a designer mix or not. What I like even better is when people ask what she is, I can say "I don't know for sure, she's a rescue".

I've noticed though when I walk her or am out with her by herself, she gets lots of oohs and aahs and questions. But when I'm out with her and the Husky, it's just ALL about the Husky. (But it was kind of cool when someone driving by stopped to ask how much I paid for him, and I got to say "My daughter got him from the pound".

It just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to promote rescue/adoption smile

But I digress. My original point was that people seem to gravitate to a recognizable breed, rather than a mutt, which is sad, because there are some really beautiful mutts out there, designer or not.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 13: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13