GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 13: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 7:21pm PST 
I agree that a morkie is kind of pointless, and I'm not saying I agree with the doodles or schnoodles, etc. And I agree that most are BYB but I know of one in my area that is seriously trying to create a labradoodle that sheds less and has both lab and poodle qualities. She is doing all appropriate testing and screening of her dogs as well. So while it may be years off of a "new breed" some of them are actually trying.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 7:30pm PST 
Radley, what I don't get is why do you want a lab mixed with a poodle?

Is the idea to have a dog that doesn't shed? If so, there are already plenty to choose from.

I get that a poodle has a stigma around its looks and people don't want that....but again, there are other nonshedding breeds out there.

What is the purpose of mixing a lab and a poodle? What are they trying to get out of it? What void are they trying to fill that other breeds can not?

To note, there is a newer breed that was created. It's called the canis panther. It now breeds true. It was created for protection work and then some. Its looks, pure intimidation. Its personality, pure business. They were trying to create a dog that fit just as good if not better than some GSD and Malinois lines as they could not get a hold of said dogs due to the high cost of the dogs and the shipping from Europe to Illinois. They filled that void. They needed top of the line protection dogs and thus created one for that need.

Edited by author Thu Jun 28, '12 7:31pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 7:58pm PST 
What bothers me here is the absolute missed opportunity to educate the public AND advocate rescue.

If Dogster's purpose actually IS to bring in readers based on search hits, that goal can still be accomplished by writing better, more informed articles.

If, rather than posting what are more or less INACCURATE descriptions of predictable characteristics in these dogs (of which there notably are NONE), they could choose to highlight how said characteristics aren't so predictable, that you DON'T always get the best of both worlds, and how looking for an adult animal of this cross in rescue (of which there are no doubt many) would be a better way of finding what you are looking for, rather than supporting the sketchy (being polite) breeding practices behind most of these dogs.

Such a sad, missed opportunity.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 8:43pm PST 
Not surprised about Dogster. shrug
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 9:25pm PST 
I realize that the Dogster big-wigs " love all dogs", but to have an entire section devoted to "fancy mutts" is doing a real disservice to dogs in general. There is nothing wrong with a cross bred dog but by promoting them with fancy names and articles focused on how certain "hybrids" will be perfect for you, Dogster is only promoting the irresposible breeding of these mixes. There are many, many nice mixes waiting in shelters but when we start giving these mixes cutesy names we are making way for irresponsible people to suddenly have these puppies ready for sale.
Today I saw an ad for the unique Swiss Bulldog - a Swiss Mountain Dog/English Bulldog cross. Really?? I remember when I was a kid, if someone had a cross bred litter they would give the pups away. There were always free pups to be had. Now a cross bred litter gets a fancy name and advertised as "rare"or "unique" and people pay a $1000 or more for a fancy mutt. Seriously, what has happened to people's common sense?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 4:40am PST 
Sanka said, "I think it's a way to advertise their site to be honest. People google for these designer dogs and if dogster has articles on them, the chances of those people landing on dogster is higher."

If that is their purpose then they have missed a super opportunity to educate the buying public!! These articles can be written to point out the NEGATIVES of following the designer mutt craze and they would still get the hits with the proper tags. Instead, they simply add to the buying hype.
Sadly, ALL this education is missing the uneducated buyer who "believes" that breeder who says his "teacup" morkie or chi mix, or whatever, needs to go to its new home at 6 weeks, then is writing on Dogster Answers about the major health problems he is having with same puppy!!
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 5:06am PST 
The last article I read on Dogster was about how terrible backyard breeding can be.
I thought that was were Dogster stood on the subject.

Then this mess of an article is brought to my attention. Nothing wrong with mixes and mutts IMO, but to have such contradicting pieces of reading material is really saying something about the company shrug
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 5:49am PST 
Well, on the subject of whether they are bred responsibly, i'm finding more & more are, at least here anyway. There has been a Cockerpoo club set up containing lots of information for owners and prospective owners on many different subjects including health issues and possible health issues way to go It gives prospective buyers a place to go other than just pick one up from a BYB. This is what some of these established designer crossbreeds need IMO. Labradoodles already have clubs set up and there are now many responsible breeders of these dogs that have fully health tested breeding dogs and have waiting lists for puppies etc. I actually saved a "Cavapoo" breeder on my other computer to use for discussions like this because they too were doing things responsibly.

IMO, you get badly bred dogs of any breed/cross. The most BYB dogs i see being advertised are in fact purebreds of various breeds. I don't particulary have an issue with Dogster featuring crossbreeds. Are they containing information on health etc?

Edited by author Fri Jun 29, '12 5:52am PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 6:59am PST 
In regards to doodles specifically, they actually have a really high instance of Addison's disease- that's basically because both labs and poodles have Addison's somewhat commonly. Also, genetic diseases that are polygenetic, meaning that there are several genes in play, are impossible to predict whether the dog is a mutt or a purebred.

For example, if you have a big old mutt with a bad hip and he mates with a female mutt that happens to have a bad hip, then you're going to get puppies with bad hips regardless of whether they're a heinz 57 or whether they're westminster bound as adults.

The difference is, good breeders health test and know their lines, so they can avoid hot spots for autoimmune disorders like Addisons and they'll know what their dogs' hip scores are, and no one I know does genetic testing for mutts.

I don't care if people breed mixed breed dogs. Look at the silken windhound, the alaskan husky, the eurasier etc just to name a few where there was a niche to be filled and people have done so responsibly with carefully documented pedigrees and health testing. Also, responsible dalmation breeders mixed in pointer to rid the breed of a debilitating kidney disase. THAT is responsible breeding.

Irresponsible breeding of mixes or hybrids is where people have no knowledge, or, they just flat out lie to puppy buyers with promises of a hypoallergenic dog that also doesn't shed. Or, where there is absolutely no purpose for a mix.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:25am PST 
I don't have a problem with mixed breeds-- what I DO have a problem with is people calling them "designer" "hyrbid" or making up ridiculous names for them.... seriously-- MORKIE?
I have a Min Pin/Chi mix what if I just started calling her a Pinchi? Ridiculous, no? Or *WHAT IF* she wasn't spayed-- and I didn't neuter my Mini Poodle?
Is there a market for Miniature Poochipins?
Seriously -_-
They are MIXED breeds-- mutts are awesome, but let's not romanticize them.

Edited by author Fri Jun 29, '12 7:26am PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 13: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13