GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 13: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:48pm PST 
Actually most "breeds" were purpose bred by dogs in the area about 120 years ago give or take a few decades. Breeds are a relatively new invention. They had types who happened to carry similar traits due to particular people with centuries of inbreeding and line-breeding behind them. A few were decided breed choices but again even most modern true breeds are purpose bred... BRTs, Dogos etc.

Crossing two breeds for a cutesy name is not purpose-bred nor responsible. There are more than enough mutts out there and most people who are drawn to designer mixes will purchase rather than rescue despite thousands being dumped every month exacerbating the issue. Don't kid yourself I would bet that 98% of designer dogs are BYB or milled. The 2% are whoops litters from breeders with well-bred dogs or the teeniest fraction of 'responsible breeders of designer dogs' which in and of itself should be an oxymoron.

I lost a dog recently who was likely part of a 'doodle' mill. I have a litany of reasons why I oppose the whole process and only about 1/3rd are from Beatrice.

Edited by author Thu Jun 28, '12 5:51pm PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 5:51pm PST 
ehh, I could take it or leave it. There's a lot in the "Magazine" section of Dogster I don't agree with or think is silly (erm, animal communicators?) and I mainly come here for the forum. So I don't throw a fit about silly articles. HQ can run whatever content they want, it's not my concern. (And really, I dislike knee-jerk "designer dogs are bad!" as much as I dislike "designer dogs are way better than other dogs!" since the issue is much more nuanced to me. Most purebred write-ups on websites are inaccurate in various ways too, and most breeders of purebreds aren't great either, so the intense criticism of intentional crossbreds seems two-faced since all the same things can be said about purebreds. But that's a whole other can of worms.)
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 6:20pm PST 
I am very passionate about rescueing, which means I am very passionate about responsible breeding. The breeding of designer dogs is in direct opposition to responsible breeding. I agree that the same irresponsible breeding occurs within purebred dogs. There have also been posts about "how cute" some teacup dogs are, which bothered me as well.

It's different to have have a section somewhere on your website giving inaccurate descriptions of breeds/crosses, as compared to publishing an article, advertising it on your homepage and on social media like facebook.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 6:34pm PST 
It makes me nuts too. I find it really disappointing. I can't stand that they are essentially glamourizing these crosses.

I didn't realize that one could contact HQ about it...I will make sure to do so. I've been making a point of stopping by and adding my negative comments, but I doubt that HQ actually checks there.

Now if they were celebrating mutts in general, that would be different. But the cutesy-poo names and the "oooh puppy will have the best traits of both breeds" mindset is making me a little crazed...

And they are NOT hybrids!!! naughty
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 6:42pm PST 
Rexy- thanks! I've been commenting too- both on their posts and on Facebook. Thanks to Toto pointing me in the right direction, I have now contacted HQ.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 6:43pm PST 
Bruno, right, but advocating designer crosses, for the most part, would be like advertising getting your pedigree dog from a puppy mill or BYB, as that's essentially the quality of people breeding these dogs right now. It would be like writing an article about how great getting a Golden from Joe Jack in the Walmart parking lot would be. Do you see the issue here?

Its not really all that nuanced. If they wanted to write an article about all the work being put into establishing/maintaining a formal standard and increased awareness in health testing/responsible breeding with, for example, the Cockapoo (of which those things are actually being done... shocker there)... then maybe the issue wouldn't be so stark.

But its not, and they aren't, and that's a shame.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 6:44pm PST 
Sarah..glad you were able to find the contact tab...I was on my phone, so it makes typing difficult. Totoway to go
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 6:55pm PST 
Another reason I avoid all dogster's articles and features and head directly to forum .... do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars.

In one breath they talk about the horrors of backyard breeding, mills, irresponsible breeding ... and then they talk up an, ahem, 'Morkie'. Does it have a sister breed called Mindy? What the hell?!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 7:14pm PST 
Thanks Sarah, Toto and co. way to go
I have located and used the "contact" button!

Seriously doubting that it will make any difference, but I got to say my piece.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 7:20pm PST 
Yes, I've posted several times about how not so smart it is on their part. They replied once saying "We love all dogs!"

Apparently completely blind to the actual notion at hand. They're caught up in the designer fad too. They are just as guilty as the BYBs in my opinion as they are highlighting these breeds and give absolutely no warning or blips about this being a fad and about how to select breeders carefully. They ignore everything we say and keep on posting them.

I think it's a way to advertise their site to be honest. People google for these designer dogs and if dogster has articles on them, the chances of those people landing on dogster is higher.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 13: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13