GO!

Why is this?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 11:20am PST 
Why do some dogs like poodles are better for people with allergies? Is it because they dont shed or do they secret less dander? Im asking because my bf i belive is allergic to Kashmir. ALl he has to do is put his face on her fur and his face will turn red and itchy. But how come he can do the same to his family shih tzu and nothing happens?
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 12:04pm PST 
There are numerous reason people are allergic to dogs. A protein in their saliva, dander, the collection of outside allergies in the coat...

The reason breeds like poodles and other need-to-be-groomed dogs are usually less allergenic (not hypo-allergenic, notice) is literally because they need to be constantly groomed. Their fur gets matted and tangled, so they have to be groomed regularly, removing many allergens from their coats.

One thing you can try is to keep your dog wiped down with a damp cloth when he comes inside. Make sure you give regular baths (not TOO regular, as this can dry out his coat) and always use a super-gentle dog shampoo and conditioner. I give baths every one or two weeks in the summer, since they drag all kinds of allergens inside, and I get a serious case of the sneezies. It's a compromise, more baths=allow dogs inside.

Sorry you're dealing with allergies!!! They really suck!!!
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 12:17pm PST 
Thanks Gunner for the tips. I usually bathe them about once a month. They do get bathed more in the summer as Zoe will go camping with the parents and Kashmir hits up the beach. I do have some waterless shampoo do you think that will help? And for when its bath time i use the Fresh N Clean Oatmeal shampoo and oatmeal conditioner.
[notify]

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 12:08pm PST 
I use the waterless shampoo on our cat (who I am allergic to just because she is a CAT), and it helps my allergies a lot! It is frustrating to use, though, for me. Maybe yours is easier to use?

I would try it, and see if the boy can sniff your dog with less issues. When things are health related it's really about trial and error, what works? What doesn't?
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 12:16pm PST 
Thanks again Gunner. And yes my waterless shampoo is very easy to use. It was on clearance at petsmar and it came in a spray bottle. The other kind I used was a foam and that was a pain in butt. I just put her flea treatmen on so she wont be getting a bath for a couple days. But he does forget that hes not supposed to be touching his skin to hers. naughty He will come over and of course Kashmir is all excited to see him and vice versa he gets down and starts petting her and rubbing her all over. I just say "no your not supposed to do that remember?" And he will in about 10 minutes when hes itching ip a storm. laugh out loud
[notify]