GO!

Tell me what kind of dog this is

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 4:40pm PST 
I wish I had a picture. Driving home yesterday I saw what looked exactly like a black Pom, but the size of a GSD. It was not a black Chow. And definitely not a Belgian. It really looked like a huge Pom. It was a beautiful dog, completely black. Sadly the police frown on taking pictures while driving and I could not stop where I was.
Anyone know what it might have been?
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 5:36pm PST 
Some type of spitz? thinking Did it look like this(only all black of course):

http://www.dogorcat.info/dog-breed/german-spitz-klein

ETA: ooh, found an all black one:
http://onlydogbreeds.com/breeds/germanSpitz.html

Edited by author Thu Jun 21, '12 5:38pm PST

[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 5:38pm PST 
I thought German Spitz too :O !
[notify]

Sabi

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 7:24pm PST 
That is exactly what it looked like but this had to have been 22-24 inches tall and 50 lbs at least. I always said I would like Poms if they were biggerlaugh out loudIt was such a stunning dog, I would just love to know what it was.
[notify]
Angus

Don't mess with- me!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 7:37pm PST 
Does look like me.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 7:50pm PST 
Hi Angus! Exactly like you just the size of my small Shepherd.

BTW one of Sabs buds is a black Pom.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 7:53pm PST 
Could have been a large black Keeshound... it's not a acceptable color of the breed but they do crop up from time to time and while they're generally smaller I have seen both the black's and keeshounds that size before.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 8:14pm PST 
I've seen some pretty dark Kees, but none solid black. They still had the raccoon eyes and lighter coloring on the tail and legs. A black Kee would be gorgeous I bet. Maybe it was a Swedish Lapphund?

Edited by author Thu Jun 21, '12 8:16pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 8:21pm PST 
Nicky I was thinking the same thing, but when I looked at the photos of Laphunds they are close but the face was different.

Happy I thought Keeshond right away but this dog was jet black. I thought even black they kept that fading on the face, legs and belly.

Maybe it was a huge German Spitz or a Giant Pomshrug
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 9:26pm PST 
I am going to guess it was an oversized Pom or Pom mix... there are surprising numbers of them out there. Very small size is hard to maintain without strict breeding controls, oversized ones are born in almost every litter, and then BYBs and mills breed them on purpose too (larger females have bigger litters, less birthing problems.) I too am in the camp that I would like Pomeranians better if they were... ya know... dog-sized. smile (Just kidding toy breed people, don't throw rotten tomatoes on me!)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2