GO!

Mastiff in a daycare home....

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4  
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 3:13pm PST 
I also would not be comfortable with ANY dog in a daycare environment. Both for the safety of the dog and of the children.

I know teachers who have gone through hell just to get their service dog ok'd to be in their classroom, and that's a service dog - and the children are all sitting at desks or moving about in lines most of the day.

Daycare with a dog is risky to start, making a puppy is even worse, making it a giant breed worse still, and to top it all off, a guardian breed.

No, English Mastiffs are not as "guardy" as some of their cousins, but that doesn't make them not guard dogs. It's the difference between the Neapolitan or the Fila taking down everyone no questions asked from 9 months of age on - and you accept and manage it because that's what you signed up for - and having a window to socialize and hope it goes well, knowing you can train well and do minimal management if it doesn't. As a petsitter, I know many English Mastiffs who require out-of-home petsitting because once the owner is away, they'll take down anyone who tries to enter the house. Even people they've known since they were 12 weeks old.

Then you have the daycare environment to set that off... Exposure does not guarantee acceptance! Quite often it's the opposite. There is so much coming and going that a dog who would be fine with strangers in a quieter situation is pushed over the edge by the constant influx of strangers and their own nerves. I've known many dogs who were purchased as pups by independent shop owners, they let the pup free in the shop to socialize, and by a year old they're calling for behavioral help because the dog is going after clients. And these aren't even necessarily guardian breeds, either.

I think this woman needs to re-evaluate her situation to begin with, and if she still really believes a dog should be mingling with children in her daycare she needs to look for a medium/large adult - although as someone else said, good luck finding a reputable organization that will place a dog in this situation.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 6:05pm PST 
Can I point out another one? Some children DO NOT 'Do" dogs. I live across the street from a pre-school and the amount of kids that back away, run or even hide when Dunlop is just walking on leash having a sniff...

& Allergies. I wouldn't really want to have to keep an allergy epi pen handy for a child, scary enough using one with an adult.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 8:38pm PST 
I pretty much agree with the consensus here. Bad idea.

I'm sure a mastiff would be a great family dog if raised around kids and the like- but this isn't a family situation. This situation involves other people's children, there are risks and legalities involved- and many other factors such as allergies which was just mentioned.

I hope your friend decides it isn't a very good idea, for neither the dog or the children.
[notify]

Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 12:54pm PST 
She is definitely not a friend in any way shape or form lol.

Just a fellow daycare provider I network with.

She's dead set decided and determined. And other just as uneducated about all things dog providers have whooped her into a "OMG I can't wait to see pictures!!! It's going to be so cuuuuuuute!!!" frenzy so I'm quite sure it's going to happen.

I'm pretty disappointed in the whole bunch. Seriously. This isn't rocket science.

Here's hoping the parents will have far better sense than to let their kids continue attending if she actually follows through with her plan.
[notify]
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 6:48pm PST 
Yikes! My co-worker's Mastiffs (English) are friendly and affectionate, but getting leaned on by 200+ pounds of dog has ME staggering, never mind a small child. An excited puppy with no coordination or understanding of how big it is plus a bunch of rambunctious kids...that's a disaster waiting to happen.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4