GO!

Mastiff in a daycare home....

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 8:35am PST 
I'm trying to convince a fellow provider that getting a Mastiff when she's got a home daycare is a bad idea.

She has a beagle mix and thinks a Mastiff would be a great addition to all of the daycare kids lives. Plans to let it roam around with them and expects it to love all the parents at pick up and drop off time.

I get that they can be great with their own families, but don't they tend to be pretty territorial by nature?

Any information would be great as this is a crew who believes all dogs are inherently the same, that breeds are just fun variations on size, color and fur but they'll always all behave exactly the same as long as they're trained to some extent party
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:53am PST 
May I ask what kind of mastiff? Different mastiffs behave very differently- for example, a Tibetian mastiff is NOT a dog you want if you strangers often coming and going, but an English mastiff is a bit more laid back about that kind of thing.

A large dog that's truly good with children is the Newfoundland. I think they were rated number one with children, in fact, and they're still considered a giant breed.

In that situation, I'd probably stay away also from a bull mastiff.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:07am PST 
Too funny, the Newfoundland was brought up in that same thread with the same claim. I'm not sure how or why as it was irrelevant to what the OP was asking but aaanyway.....

My issue here isn't so much with whether the dog will be good with children (as I tend to think most breeds when raised with them will coexist with them just fine), my question is more in regards to the territorial nature of Mastiff's in general and if one will appreciate multiple strangers coming and going from it's home every single day. Add to that there are food program reps, licensing workers, state inspectors etc who would have to be able to access the house at their discretion. I cannot imagine a territorial natured dog loving that set up.

The specific type of Mastiff was not discussed, I'm not sure they even know different distinctions within the name exist. Everything I've ever heard of Bull Mastiff's and Neapolitan Mastiff's scream that this is a horrible idea. Maybe an English would be ok?

In any event for liability's sake size wise alone it wouldn't be a great idea to let the them intermingle with business patrons, especially very small ones in the form of children.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 11:44am PST 
I don't see why a breed like the English or perhaps a Dane wouldn't work out. Properly socialized they should have no problem accepting strangers into the home, as neither breed (despite their heritage) is really "guardy"... at least not anymore. That said, she would need to go to an exceptional breeder, to ENSURE the safety of her clientele. With that condition being met, and if she's actually willing to socialize the dog, then it'd probably work out just fine.

An English Mastiff isn't even in the same UNIVERSE as a Neapolitan/Tibetan/etc btw... its hard to even mention them in the same sentence, except for to say that they are 110% different from one another.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:07pm PST 
English mastiffs are much softer and less guardy than they used to be and should be fine provided both they and the children are taught how to behave around each other. I wouldn't consider a neapolitan or a tibetan they might not be ok with the parents. Just another thing when I was looking at flock guardians they said that sometimes they react badly to rough play or their kids being disciplined I don't know if mastiffs can be the same way but it might not be a good idea in a daycare setting.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:12pm PST 
It's a pretty good debate...

Sometimes the Mastiff seems to have problems understanding that a stranger can be a friend of yours. If he doesn't know him, the stranger can't be part of the group... Despite this, they are fully capable of getting used to your new relationships. When a strange person has visited your house a few times, he will accept that his owner has given him permission to enter the house. When a Mastiff becomes familiar with the new person, he will think of him as a friend, too, and treat him likewise.

Some Mastiffs are very friendly with everyone, some are more of the "elective" kind, while others do not like to meet strangers at all. But with most Mastiffs, meeting strangers is no problem at all.

Personally, I think it is definitely about how the dog is brought up but is it worth taking the chance? Especially with such a huge breed and young children around?

Is she very good at raising dogs?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 2:29pm PST 
"Is she very good at raising dogs?"

The only dog it seems she's ever owned is the beagle mix.

And the only thing she's talked about in regards to the Mastiff (general) is how cute it'll be as a puppy and how much she wants daycare parents and kids to love on it.

I'd assume no.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 3:53pm PST 
Sounds like an incredibly bad idea to me but moreso tossing a puppy (any puppy) into a daycare environment and hoping for the best.

Luckily mastiffs generally are quite child-friendly to "pack" children and most tend to have an affinity for them. I wouldn't think having the dog around at pickup time would be a great idea by any stretch. My brain automatically jumps to 'Good God they're going to get a Fila aren't they" (A client at work recently did and it's going to be a poopshow in six months) so as long as they're talking English Mastiffs that's pretty much as 'okay' as they're going to get.

Edited by author Wed Jun 20, '12 3:55pm PST

[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 4:13pm PST 
Honestly, it's going to come down to what her clients think about the mastiff(no matter which type it is). Will they want their child staying at a place that has a dog bigger than their child? What do her clients think of when they hear "mastiff"? It's something she's going to have to think about. When you run a daycare out of your home, you have to think about everyone's needs/feelings and not just your own, if you don't want to risk losing clients. She needs to do a LOT of research and share her information with her clients.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 6:01pm PST 
I would think from the daily exposure of the kids and their parents dropping them off/picking them up since puppyhood would make the dog think its 'okay' in some sort of way. If it were an older dog I would understand not, though.

I would worry about the kids not being properly educated about puppies, or dogs in general, and possibly pulling its ears and tail!
It all chalks down to whether they're willing to put in the work and effort. They would probably need a trainer to ensure nothing 'big' happens.

And make a potty area specific for the dog, thats fenced off from the kids, don't need the kids getting into any of that lol.. It would honestly be too much work for me to have to worry about all of that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4