GO!

"mini" Golden Retrievers?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 11:17am PST 
Are these actually being bred? There's an absolutely tiny GR in Farley's agility class and I was wondering if it's an intentionally bred "mini" GR or if it's just small for the breed. The dog looks 100% identical to a purebred Golden, but she is tiny.. like the size of a small Border Collie, maybe 35 lbs? And she's got a very small frame, and she's pretty short.
She's full-grown, too. I wish I had a photo of her.
[notify]
Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 3:26pm PST 
If there are breeders out there intentionally breeding "mini GR" than I certainly would wonder how good of a breeder they are. Quality breeders are in it for the betterment of the breed not to see if they can come up with some "new designer breed". UGH! drives me nuts.
We see it all the time at the clinic with people coming in with some designer breed that they paid huge amounts of money for only to find out that the dog came from some irresponsible backyard breeder or puppymill only in it for the $$.
We are seeing all sorts of dogs who are crossed with poodles, pugs, poms and chihuahuas just to name a few. They have a certificate from some goofy small dog registry of some kind from the internet. It pains me to see how much they have paid for these puppies, some people have been told that they will be able to show their dogs as they are reconized by the AKC and UKC, then they find out that that is far from the truth. Sad!
Sorry, I am a bit taken back by these type of breeders to say the least.dog
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 5:20pm PST 
Goldens are not suppose to be large dogs, they are suppose to be between 55 and 75 pounds. My female golden is 56 lbs and purebred, but most people think she is a mix due to her size. Many people have huge goldens and we are used to these large dogs but goldens are suppose to be moderate dogs, not to big and not to small. I have never herd of a mini golden but I would ask the people about her, she may be a well bred golden who is the correct size for the breed.
[notify]

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 5:35pm PST 
Forgot to mention, my border collie/jack russel/greyhound (Josie, typical border collie size) is about as tall as Star ....the main difference is that Josie is much lighter, about 35 lbs, she does not have as much bone or as wide a chest or the muscle that Star has. They are about the same height (Star maybe a 1/2 inch taller) and until Star filled out they were about the same weight, when Star turned 1.5 yrs is when the difference in weight and muscle became apparent.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 5:38pm PST 
Both. There are indeed unusually small, fine-boned female Goldens out there- the field type especially is slighter than the typical pet Golden. I wouldn't be surprised to see one in the 40-lb range (BC-sized.)

There are also "mini Goldens" being sold that are actually a mix of Golden Retriever and Cocker Spaniel. But I think these tend to be even smaller than your hypothetical BC-sized dog. I don't think it sounds like a bad mix, actually... some pet-bred Cockers very much resemble small Retrievers or even Irish setters, because they've lost the typical round Cocker head and reverted back to a more natural (longer, flatter) head.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 5:44pm PST 
I think it's probably another instance where people are used to seeing dogs that are larger than they were originally meant to be. I've noticed the Goldens I see at conformation shows tend to be shorter than the ones I see everywhere else.

Like Bruno said, I think it's both. I'm sure there are people breeding "Mini Goldens", both purebred and not, but GRs are supposed to be smaller than most people think, like many breeds.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 5:48pm PST 
Yerp. Goldens are medium dogs. Much like you frequently see 90lb labs, that's well above the norm so we're not able to identify a real normal.

That being said there is mini everything now so mini GRs wouldn't surprise me.
[notify]
Lily

Throw the- ball!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 7:14pm PST 
Lily might be a "mini-Golden"--the people I adopted her from got her from a puppy mill. She's a Cocker/Golden mix, and I know those are the two dogs typically bred together to get the "minis" (which sadly do exist).

However, Golden Retrievers aren't supposed to be huge, there are just so many off-standard badly bred ones out there.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 7:30pm PST 
Thanks for all the info! smile

I know many breeds are bred for larger or smaller size so often, that it becomes hard for the average person to recognize what the typical size for the breed actually is.
The thread about the small GSDs got me thinking and that's when I made this thread. The dog in Farley's class definitely doesn't look like it's mixed with anything, like I said really it looks like a purebred GR just quite small, even compared to the standard size ones I've seen.

I did read that the standard if 55-75 lbs, but larger or smaller ones are still fairly common, almost more common than the standard range ones in some cases.

I'll bet it's just a smaller-sized, small-boned female, I've just never seen a Golden so small, but I guess it's no more uncommon than seeing an oversized Lab or GSD.

Edited by author Mon Jun 18, '12 7:31pm PST

[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 7:07am PST 
They make whats called a "mini" Boxer as well and its a mix between like a Boston Terrier and something else.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2