GO!

Breeder or Rescue?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3  
Thas

That Thas

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 10:14am PST 
Oh my goodness. My colleague visited the shelter yesterday/today, and wanted to torture me.

Puppy
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 11:58am PST 
Keep in mind that if you go through a truly reputable breeder it will likely be 6-18 months before a puppy is available. Any breeder who has puppies available with any regularity is not someone you want to work with. A good breeder tests hips, eyes, hearts, etc and only breeds 1-2 litters a year for a specific purpose. A good breeder will have every single female and male with a champion title and/or extensive performance titles. Steer clear of anyone who breeds because they "love the breed and don't care about showing." A good show quality rottie will also be a wonderful companion. Don't support backyard breeders who breed substandard dogs.
[notify]
Thas

That Thas

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 4:17am PST 
If we were going to go through a breeder, I know what I'd be looking for, and that'd be a working dog, rather than a conformation show-quality dog.

We're getting a puppy or young dog through rescue. While that little pup up there is so, so tempting, I think we'll be waiting a while. snoopy
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 23)  
1  2  3