GO!

I saw an Alaskan Klee Kai for the 1st time!!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 6:21am PST 
Well this weekend the parents were camping so I went to visit for the day and brought Kashmir. When the bf and i were walking the girls i noticed on a campsite they had a regular Siberian Husky and then a smaller looking Husky type dog further back of their site. I thought to myself it had to be a husky puppy, but then closer look it didnt look like a puppy. When my mom came home she had a picture of it and asked me and was telling me about it. I asked if the lady who had it said it was an Alaskan Klee Kai? My mom said yeah it was. dancing Woo i was super excited because ive never seen one before.
[notify]
Talah CGC

Suska's- Sanderling- Tailwind

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 8:12am PST 
Haha. AKK sighting!

They could also fit the bill for your small athletic dog. That's what I got Talah for. She's extremely attuned to me, easy to work with, and very biddable. Similar to the Schipps. They do require a lot of socialization though as they do run towards shyness, but if you're out training him/her it wouldn't be an issue I don't think. As with any breed, you'd need to research thoroughly and get one from a breeder who shows in conformation or some sport so that you know you're getting a solid dog.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 10:00am PST 
I don't know if it'd be the same where you live, but out here the UKC conformation shows are swarming with them laugh out loud, I suppose because they aren't AKC recognized. Might be a good place to go if you want to see more of them. Cute little dogs but some of them are super barky. I do wonder if they're feeding off each other's barking at the shows though, making it worse.

Edited by author Mon Jun 11, '12 10:01am PST

[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 10:08am PST 
Onyx big laugh
[notify]
Talah CGC

Suska's- Sanderling- Tailwind

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 4:48pm PST 
Onyx, yes they do feed off of each other's barking. However, at the show we went to, Talah and her breeder's dogs were the only non-barkers. It really depends on the owner/breeder. Many of them are owned by people who do not get them out into public a whole lot, so they're wild hellions at shows, about like bringing a fox in. And unfortunately, we have come across de-barked AKK. But again, Talah does not bark, so I think it's all in the training.

Not to mention many AKK freak out when they can't get to their person, so if they're being shown or held by "not one of their people" they'll start up a husky racket.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 11:34pm PST 
That's awesome. I've never seen one before myself. I don't think we have them in Australia? Boo. That's one small dog I'd just love to have.
[notify]
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 11:36pm PST 
Cute little things, aren't they? We boarded one recently at work. He was SUPER shy, though--I know they're naturally wary of strangers, but even so, I don't think his owners did a great job of socializing him. He did eventually warm up enough to come over to me and lick my fingers, however!
[notify]
Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 2:49am PST 
They are adorable! I normally don't like small dogs, but this is one breed(out of 4) I have considered getting if I ended up in an apartment that allows only small dogs.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 11:22am PST 
I see them every once and a while in my area. They are suited for the cold climate where I live. They look a lot like shiba inus. I wonder if shibas played a part in their genetics. Personally I would go for a shiba over a Klee Kai. Shibas are very common here. I see them often. I would have an easier time finding a shiba that needed a home or at least a good breeder.

I don't want another small dog. There are things I want to train a dog for that a smaller one would not be able to do.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 11:38am PST 
Shibas are not in AKK foundation, no, and this was specifically decided against due to the typical Shiba temperament. AKKs are meant to be companion dogs. smile
[notify]