GO!

Small Athletic breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '12 1:36pm PST 
I like the Schipperke suggestion. Known a couple and they're spunky little dogs, definitely athletic enough for sports. The ones I've known have been a bit barky for my taste but I think training could help with that. Love their fiery personalities and appearance (although I might be biased toward black dogs with erect ears wink)
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '12 4:56pm PST 
Hmm maybe ill have to rethink the terriers thinking I think the more and more i look, the more they seem to fit the bill. blue dog
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 7:32am PST 
Ok ive been totally rethinking the terrier aspect. The more i research them they seem to fit the bill and I really like the Rat Terrier. A friend of mine has one mixed with a Jack Russell and she is pretty sturdy and all about him. She lives for him and thats the kind of personality ive been looking for. But more research i must do. laugh out loud I also like the Westie. Its been a while since i opened this forum and i believe Lucille was shocked that i have a boxer and couldnt think i could handle a terrier big laugh At this point who knows bol. But so far the short list may be the Rat Terrier, Papillon, Pom, and maybe Jack Russell. I really like the paps and poms but the bf cant deal with the long hair shrug
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 7:59am PST 
Yep, that was me, Kash. Boxers have a level of intensity that you are already used to and that jives with your own personality and handling style...it's the type of energy that can be similar to some terrier breeds, but without as much of the independent streak of a terrier. Dare I say Boxers can also be a bit stubborn? So I can tell you've come to terms with that, enjoy that side of them and you know how to work with it. Boxers love to be physically close to their people. You might find that a rat terrier is right up your alley; they're intense, very athletic, but a bit more closely bonded to their person than many terriers tend to be (some are almost like a velcro dog). That's a quality you like, so I was thinking you might want to give them a second look. I've seen them do very well in multi-dog households, too. Borders are great little dogs, too, not so drivey as the Jacks are and they get on well with other dogs. They have more coat than the rat terriers, though.

Typically when a person is thinking 'terrier...uh not so much for me' I don't usually recommend the Jack types because they are all that and then some. They tend to be higher in drive and independence levels and their energy is very intense more often than not. Hopefully you get to meet some good examples of these breeds as you narrow it down. Best of luck with your choice!
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 8:01am PST 
Thanks Lucille and yes Boxers can be very stubborn. I have learned to work with it through out owning them. Kashmir wasnt the typical Boxer, she never really had a stubborn streak in her so i guess i got lukcy. Now Zoe on the other hand is the typical Boxer, stubborn anf quirky. The more i do research i seem to keep coming back to the Rat terrier, ill take a look at the border as well. Im going to run it by the bf too since he will be apart of this dogs life as well. cheer I cant wait to get one later on in the future. happy dance

Edited by author Mon Jun 11, '12 8:04am PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3