GO!

Small Athletic breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 9:09am PST 
Well for my next dog I am looking for something small and atheltic. I took a lot of those online selectors and it came up with wierd results. Which breed would suit my needs? I want one that I can do agility and obedience with and one thats smart. On the smaller side and shedding I dont really care about. I was really looking at the Maltese or Papillon? Maybe even a Maltese/Shih Tzu Mix?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 9:25am PST 
It depends on the temperament you want. smile Some small dogs are meant to be companions only, while some are bred to work. It also depends on how small you want to go- I'm a big dog person, so for me, 30 lbs is pretty small.

As for dogs that are toy sized, athletic, and have big dog drive, I'd say some papillons, schipperke, patterdale terrier, parson russel terrier, portuguese podengo, some lines of shelties, miniature aussies (some of them), some mini poodles, some pomeranians and that's pretty much off the top of my head of dogs I've seen that are pretty small that also have enough drive to do agility.

I *really* want a schipperke one day. I LOVE them. Not as much as my cardigans, but they are on the top of my *will* have list, along with german shepherds.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 9:25am PST 
Papillions are great little sport dogs! Very smart.

I would take a Poodle over a Maltese for sport. Esp a Mini Poodle.

Shih-tzu would be hit or miss. I've seen a great OB shih-tzu but I wouldn't expect them to run hard in Agility.
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 9:28am PST 
My small is often somebody else's medium, but I have a 25 lb. American Cocker who is a ball of fire. Most athletic dog I have ever owned and VERY smart and biddable.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 10:12am PST 
Thanks everyone. I do keep looking at the Pappillon and Mini Poodle. I dont think me personally could handle a terrier breed. I think they might be a little too much for me. But I am still looking. I really want to do agility with this dog as Kashmir cant anymore because of her back/leg issues. So im looking for a hardy smaller companian that can keep up with me. happy dance I have looked into cardigan welsh corgis as well but I dont think they fall into the "small" category for me big laugh but they are on the list.

Edited by author Wed Jun 6, '12 10:13am PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 10:29am PST 
honestly, I try really hard to dissuade people from getting cardigans. ;-)

*I* love them and *I* think they're a great breed, but they're really not an easy and they're not all that small. Then again, I'm also interested in a dog affectionately known as the "little black devil," so you can see I have a thing for bad dogs. ;-)

Papillons are really cool little dogs and they have single coats (not like cardigans, which have thick double coats they blow twice a year- we keep dyson in business I'm sure) and they are *very* fast and *very* smart.

Plus, they bond very tightly with their people and make great therapy dogs if you are interested in that route.

I personally think they'd make a great dog for you. They tend to be very forgiving training wise and have a sort of sweet turn about their personalities.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 8:45pm PST 
I've recently discovered rat terriers to be AMAZING little sport machines. There's one in my agility class that I am absolutely enamored with- beautiful small dog, very athletic build, focused and sharp as a tack- but I'm with you on the issue of handling a terrier, they can definitely be a lot to handle.

I think a sheltie or papillion would be wonderful for agility! I have read shelties are known for being big barkers and can be prone to separation anxiety, but with solid lines and proper training, it could be a great choice.
smile
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 9:31pm PST 
I love my mini Aussie. He is a fantastic agility dog and so athletic and an easy dog to live with, he has a great off switch. This past weekend he running close to 6 yps and is only 16 inches tall and 23 lbs.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 9:54am PST 
I agree with papillon they're quickly becoming a very popular mini agility breed here very smart, very athletic and so funny to watch in agility. What about a well-bred pomeranian they can certainly do agility but there is the barking. Or a border terrier much more mellow and dog friendly than most terriers and that face is just adorable, fairly trainable and they are good agility dogs
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 10:04am PST 
My friend runs a Maltese in agility and also competes in Rally and obedience with him. He's a great little worker for her. I think because they're not bred to be independent workers he tends to be very handler focused and do whatever she asks of him. Although, for that reason she said that teaching go outs was a challenge for her to work through.

Of course, I have to put in a plug for Poms. They're quite the little athletes.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3