GO!

make me a match

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 2:40pm PST 
we were thinking about getting a dobe when Violet is no longer with us but i dont think our family would be good for dobe.We have 3 kids and we live in a subdivison so we have kids coming and going all the time so a protective breed id not a good idea.we like the lazy big stupid lug aspect of the dane but i dont want to get another one.i prefer short haired breeds and sleek looking breeds.our whole family likes the idea of a smaller dog just not too small 20lbs min.we want a dog that is playful but not crazy.i dont like the social butterfly type dogs or wiggle bums so labs are out. i like a dog who is kinda velcro but not as bad as violet would be great bol.i like theidea of a shiba but hubby isnt on bored he wants something a little more handler focused.

so what can you guys think of i will research each breed you come with and see what fits us best. its going to take awhile to find a good breeder.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 3:17pm PST 
Whippet maybe?
Dalmatian sort of comes to mind, though you would need to be willing to work with the kid aspect- not necessarily protective, but they like their space.
Boxer if you're willing to put up their intensity.
[notify]
Violet

Barked: Sun May 27, '12 4:29pm PST 
ohhhh i love the whippet and the dal as well. boxer is a no go i cant deal with the crazy energy.i wish i was the type of person that a gsd would do well with but i am not i hate having to walk the dog and i dont want to be out smarted by my dog bol.
[notify]

Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 1:45pm PST 
I too though a Whippet or perhaps a retired racing greyhound.

You said though that you arn't the person to like the insanely energetic dog breeds, then I think our best bet is to rule out the Dalmatian and Boxer.

Also stating that you don't want an over-protective breed. I would be careful if you should decide on a doberman. As they are a very family oriented breed. They seem to emotionally dependent on their owners, and on the look out quite often. Not saying this is for every dog of the breed, as I have met ones are what you are looking for, but more often then not they do have some protective instincts in there.
[notify]
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 2:15pm PST 
I think a whippet could be a good fit too - definitely a good one to look into. The right greyhound might work as well. Whippets tend to be more active than greyhounds, but they're definitely not insanely energetic.
[notify]
Violet

Barked: Mon May 28, '12 2:52pm PST 
before we had kids we had dobes one was a show dobe that was abandonded that we got from the humane socity and the other was a pet quality dobe from a breeder.Both were amazing dogs but a bit too much as far as protective intistincs went. I really like the whippet and we do have a great fenced area for running across the street.I take Violet there all the time to let lose and play ball.i like quite dogs as well so a whippet might just be perfect for us. i love sight hounds they are like the super models of the dog world.

any other breeds you guys can think of....
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 7:32am PST 
Have you guys considered a lab? They're great dogs; pretty velcro and generally good with everybody and everything. Bench labs are heavier then field labs and tend to be more laid back. Some of the setters can be great dogs, but they're harder to find.

golden retrievers can be *wonderful* dogs, also.

Dalmations need *alot* of energy and they have some pretty crazy health problems. Unless you are willing to really research and you can devote alot of time to a dog, I'd say to stay away from them. The ones I've met have stand-offish and not really tolerant of strangers.

I'd say to stay away from most of the working/herding breeds if you don't like protective instincts. If you focus on the sporting dogs, you'll likely find a pet that's well suited for you, as long as you keep the energy level in mind.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 8:49am PST 
If you say you hate having to walk your dogs I'm not sure there is a breed of dog that would be a good match here.

All need exercise, even larger lazier breeds.

NONE of the bird dog breeds work well here based on the information that's been given, the vast majority of those surrendered are surrendered after people tried to make the back yard thing work and it didn't. Labs, Goldens, Setters, Boxers, GSD's, Dalmations, Dobes...pretty much everything that's been suggested here, and all dog breeds in general, are going to need to go somewhere besides your yard regularly or they'll get frightfully bored and be unbearably unhappy.

What do you intend to do with the dog OP? How much actual daily exercise are you going to be willing to give it? Would a cat or other species perhaps be a good fit here? My cat is incredibly friendly, but also independent, tolerates kids better than any and has zero desire to go outside and be walked lol. Plenty are sleek coated and you can find loads of really big ones in shelters smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 8:56am PST 
Oh, I didn't even see that part!

Yeah, if you don't want to walk the dog, forget sporting breeds. I assumed you were ok with exercise if you were considering a doberman.

I honestly don't know any breeds of dogs that don't need to be walked. Honestly, it's good for you, too! ;-)

Maybe you could get an elderly rescue at the pound who just needs a couch to warm and a hand to lick every once in a while. smile
[notify]
Violet

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 9:13am PST 
by i hate to walk the dog i mean a long hard core walk every day i dont mind going for a 30-45 min stroll everyday .but i dont want to have to walk for an hour or more plus play ball just to tire the dog out.curently it is nice weather here so we go for about 30 mins and play at the park for about 10 mins and she is done.with our kids growing up and being much more interested in walking the dog which they cant do now i like the idea of medium breeds maybe larger sized small breeds.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2