GO!

Do you, or have you ever, regretted choosing your dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Paisley

Flat Coated- RetrievingAlaska- n Cattle Dog

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 5:20pm PST 
While I don't regret adopting Paisley, per say. She absolutely wasn't the dog I was searching for. I wanted a Doberman, with all the traits of a Dobe, as THAT breed fits.

What I got was a mutt that may or may not have an ounce of Dobe mixed in and an attitude like a Husky (without the energy, thank DOG). She isn't what I was looking for, so there is a little resentment there. Not towards her, but towards rescue in general. While I'll probably always have a rescue running around, my next dog will be from the best breeder I can possibly get my hands on.
[notify]
Skarlet

Barked: Wed May 9, '12 7:59pm PST 
Skarlet was born here, she was the only tri color in a litter of sable and white puppies and when she was born I said, "This one's mine!"
She was without question the most difficult puppy of the litter.
My brothers said she was "wicked smart" by which they meant she was very smart and evil. I LOVE her though, she is brilliant and has the perfect amount of drive with a great on/off switch.
My family does not feel the same way though and it has caused some trouble between us. They don't trust her, she doesn't trust their judgement. She always gets into trouble while I'm gone they say. When I am here she is my constant shadow. If she is not sure how to handle something she looks to me for guidance. I love my dog, but as a student leaving for college this fall this question is a hard one for me. Did I make the right choice when I will have to leave her, even if temporarily? Idk.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Thu May 10, '12 7:54pm PST 
Initially I thought I was going to regret getting a beagle mix. Beagles were a breed I didn't really like or appreciate at the time, I horribly wanted another shepherd. But a family compromise (the only way I was getting a dog) was if Lenny was the one we got since mom fell in love with his face.

However, it has been a blessing bringing him home. I have discovered I actually adore hounds, and I love going "dirt surfing". The idea that I don't know where I'm going, when the walk goes from a lazy walk to an intense chase. It keeps it interesting, it keeps me in the moment. Sometimes I don't always feel that way when I'm huffing and puffing behind him, but 90% of the time I'm happy that our walks/hikes aren't predictable. Even though there are moments when I wish he had just a tad more innate handler focus, I still wouldn't trade him for the world. And for the training experience, how much I have learned from this dog... it's unbelievable. And just to think what I am still striving towards... it's crazy.

He's a perfect mix of "Let's work" and "Let's be lazy". I don't think I'd get a dog of a a higher energy level or drive. I like being able to skip a day or two and not be regretting it the next morning with a dog who is acting like he's hopped up on crack. laugh out loud
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun May 13, '12 12:20pm PST 
Not that I can think of.

I thought I was prepared for an aussie. I thought I knew what I was in for in terms of exercise, shedding, their personality and all that.

I was not.

But all that said, I wouldn't trade him for anything. He's been the best dog I've ever had.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 7:01pm PST 
"I'll go ahead and admit that there were times when Ava was growing up and I was realizing that she'd never be the dog I wanted, that I regretted getting her, but I could never give her up."

Replace "Ava" with "Oogie" and you have my sentiments exactly. When I first got Oogie, I had patiently waited for years until I both had the money and lived in a place which allowed dogs to finally get my own... I dreamed of a small pomeranian or long-hair chihuahua or mix of the two that would be my little shadow and follow me around everywhere. A happy go lucky dog that liked to play as much as it liked to cuddle.

Even at her young age, Oogie was not on track to be that dog... she was quite independent and much more focused on serving her own interests rather than being interested in me it seemed. I didn't feel like we were bonding and the whole thing was pretty upsetting- I felt like I had made the wrong choice and regretted that I chose her and not her brother to bring home.

So, I went back to the breeder after 5 weeks of doubt... I probably could have switched Oogie out for her brother, but I just could not bring myself to do that- It was at that moment I realized I really did love Oogie even if she wasn't my "ideal". While visiting with the breeder, Kip came to me and stayed in my lap the entire time... and with the way he looked at me, I just *knew* he was supposed to be mine. So, I bought him too, and initially planned on keeping him and giving Oogie to my mom. But deep down I knew I couldn't do that. Getting in the car, I knew that I would be keeping them both. And I knew it was going to be A LOT of work to raise them both at the same time. Call me crazy, but it felt right. And now, after a year and a half, I could not be happier with how everything has turned out cheer

Kip ended up being my "ideal" dog I had pined over for years- he was that way from the get go. Our bond was instant. He follows me everywhere, loves to play fetch, and sleeps in my arms at night- A true goofball velcro cuddle-bug of a dog laugh out loud

Oogie continued to be independent, but after I let go of my expectations I had for her in terms of the dog I wanted her to be that she wasn't, our bond finally started to grow. I started to appreciate her "diva" personality and eventually found humor in it that something SO tiny could be so serious/full of herself. She never really showed affection how I wanted her to, but I learned that she showed it in her own way on her own time and that that was OK- I now have no doubt at all that she loves me, and her little Oogie ways warm my heart. Quite honestly, she's only gotten sweeter as she's gotten older cloud 9

Overall, they are both amazing little dogs and they have a wonderful dynamic together- their personalities really balance/compliment each other beautifully and I am so lucky to have them both. And while yes, there was a short period where I regretted getting Oogie, I by no means still feel that way now- I don't know what I'd do without the little princess in my life! And as for raising them together, even though that was a huge amount of work I can honestly say I have not and have never had a single regret about that decision- in fact, I think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. big grin
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 7:37pm PST 
I don't regret choosing Risa. But, I will admit, things between us were tough for a long time. I was a first-time dog owner with a fearful, dog reactive mutt that I got with the goal of competing in dog sports. I was uninformed and in over my head. I had enough trouble walking her outside the house in new places--competition was a far off dream I thought we may never attain.

She taught me more than I taught her. We struggled together but became tightly bonded because of it. She's been a lot more work than I'd ever dreamed (both behaviorally and health-wise) but I wouldn't trade her for the world. It was fate that brought us together. Besides, I don't think anyone else would have stuck by her this long!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 8:29pm PST 
They chose me, all of them. I don't regret going along with the choice, but one day I would like to choose a dog...Maybe when the world is a kinder better place and dogs dog get dumped at my house, sick and starving.....dog walk
[notify]
Chloe

Honey Bear

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 2:14pm PST 
I've never regretted a choice. Chloe has definitely been a bigger challenge than I realized I was getting myself into (she was listed as a Great Pyr/Lab mix and we were expecting a mellow and laid-back dog, hah!), but she's been a bright light in my life when I really needed one, and if I could go back and choose differently, I would still pick her all over again.

But another Aussie mix is definitely not in our future. If Chloe hadn't mellowed out around the same time as my chronic health problems started cropping up, we'd all be pretty miserable. We'll definitely be looking for a breed that will have a more mellow puppyhood when it's time to get a second dog.

Edited by author Wed Aug 8, '12 2:18pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 5:56am PST 
We found Olive on PetFinder. We loved her right away but we were told she was being fostered in Mississippi and if she were to be placed with an adopter, she'd be put on the transport and sent to the family's state. (The transport makes regular trips from the south all the way to the north east).

Well, when we called, the adoption coordinator told us Olive was already on the transport (she was placed on there because she was a young puppy and they thought she might have a chance at being adopted along the way if people could just see and hold her, but nothing worked out for her) -- the last stop the transport was making was in the very next town over from us the very next day (we're in MAINE!!!)

We were shocked at this coincidence and saw it as "fate". However, we were hardly ready for a puppy. We scrambled around getting everything ready and when we met Olive for the first time, we loved her, but when I saw that Labrador otter tail, I knew we were in for something different than what we were told (we were told she was a GSD mix --- more like she's a LAB mix, I don't think there's any GSD in her at all!) -- I was a little nervous about adopting a lab because my parents had a lab and it was outright *deranged*, but she was a calm and relatively shy puppy and we took her home.

She turned out to be the perfect dog for us -- but I remember those first few days after we brought her home feeling very anxious and scared in the "what am I doing?! this dog is a major responsibility that I'll have for the next 10+ years!" and "now I have this puppy, what do I do with her?" kind of way.

So, I would never regret adopting Olive -- it was fate -- but I think I would have liked to have felt a little more prepared.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 6:22pm PST 
Not at all, I didn't have any idea what I was looking for the day I found Sophie. We used to have a bassett. Elliot was stubborn, opininated and took an hour to sniff each section of sidewalk. We used to have a border collie, bright intelligent and beautiful, with a crackhead attention span.
I just wanted someone housebroken, a running partner, and that was about all I was asdking for. I got a bone skinny timid doggie...who bloomed into a gorgeous, goofy muscular perfect baby. Anything I could want in a pooch and more.
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8