GO!

Do you, or have you ever, regretted choosing your dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 8: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 2:04pm PST 
Not one bit. Samson is the perfect dog for me.
[notify]
Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 6:10am PST 
I can't say that I do, because Chase chose me.
Is she the dog I would've picked myself? No. Did I plan on keeping her when she came to foster with me? No. Was I even looking to adopt a dog when I decided to foster her? No.
I have no regrets about her, though. She has taught me so much, and her love and adoration of me knows no bounds. She's my best friend, and I'm so happy she came into my life.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 8:26am PST 
Did I think it through when I got Charlie? No. Did I know a thing about Beagles when I got Charlie? No.

Do I or have I ever regretted getting him or choosing this breed? Absolutely not and I wouldn't change my decision for the world.

He's not a 'hard' dog at all and while it took many years and much patience and a lot of learning on my part to train him to be the dog he is now, it was ALL worth it. Every little bit was worth it. I will never understand a person getting a dog and loving it, but not being willing to compromise certain lifestyle decisions to accommodate that dog. I'm a renter. I've been homeless before because it was taking so long to find a pet friendly home, but I didn't give up or give him up. I don't go partying, ever, I don't go out much anyway to anywhere not dog friendly already. I'm a homebody who doesn't like to travel and with all Charlie's pent up energy? I put it to good use by training him new tricks/commands/behaviors, or take him on hikes and at a future date, I'd love to try agility with him when I get him a little more focused on me.

Never ever, will I ever regret the decision to take Charlie home.
[notify]

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 7:46pm PST 
I don't regret it now, but that first 18 months was brutal. I started fostering for the local shelter just to try and decide if I even wanted a dog and the commitment. I was still on the fence when Remy came along. A month later when it was time to give him up, I couldn't do it, but that doesn't mean I was prepared for a dog, much less a fragile, reactive puppy who seemed to vibrate with energy. I was paralized with regret those first 2 weeks and then it slowly got better, but still, the first year and a half was rough.

Now, I can't imagine life without him, but I have to admit that Remy is nothing like the dog I pictured in my head all those years.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 10:40pm PST 
To be truthfully honest - yes. At some point in owning all three of the dogs I have now, there were moments (some longer than others) where I thought "WHY?"

Maggie's first year was a huge mistake, the breed was right - but the dog was not for a first time (or heck - even experienced) dog owner. Separation anxiety, poor behavior, medical issues right and left, confidence issues, and a poor beginning were a bad idea - but I loved this dog and was not going to give up in her, she was mine...but boy, what a huge mistake! After that first year things seemed to fall into order, there were still occasional days where I just would stop and say "why?" - but it no longer was daily. Now - there isn't a chance she is going anywhere.

Porter I am still not sure I made the right decision with him...I adore my little red dog, but he doesn't really like me frown He loves to train with me...but he is always sucking up to my family when they are around and just acting like I am here to beat him with a bat. But he will always be safe here with me and I know that there is a waiting list if I had to place him lol!

Tika...I just had typical puppy buyer remorse with her. Maggie & Porter hated her at first and I was not able to manage time properly the first week or so. Now, she fits in perfectly.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 6:55pm PST 
With pretty much all the pets I had an initial week of postpartum depression. I would be in tears with them crying next to me, wondering what on earth I'd gotten myself into.

However, now, the only one I still have those feelings about is Tanuk. He is just plain and simple high maintenance. I'm not sure if it's him or just Malamutes in general, though we know others who are easier keepers. He has both behavioral and medical issues that we've had to overcome. I've been reduced to tears regarding him many times, and I'd say over the past 4 years 99.9% of mine and hubby's arguments have revolved around him. It's been a rough road.

However, we have also come very far together. He is extremely obedient, the only Malamute I know that can hike or walk around town off lead, can go anywhere and do anything and not be phased by it, can be recalled off chasing a squirrel, is bombproof with our cats, and has never chewed or damaged a single item in our home.

We did thoroughly research Malamutes beforehand, and do love the breed. In fact, the more time I spend at work with other more irritating breeds, the more and more I prefer my Nordics.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '12 8:46pm PST 
I find myself looking at Moose and smiling like mad. Sometimes I even get a little teary eyed looking at him because I'm so, so happy.

I was hoping that getting a new puppy so soon after the whole incident with Mikey wasn't going to be a huge mistake and thus far I feel like I hit the jackpot.

Moose has been such an easy puppy who makes me laugh every day and I haven't regretted it for one single second. Hopefully it remains like this.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue May 1, '12 2:43pm PST 
cloud 9 Moose.

That's how I feel about Talah. Haven't regretted her one second and have nothing but happiness with her. She's filled the void that I was missing with Tanuk.
[notify]
Piper- (2011-2012)

Howl-Panion

Barked: Tue May 1, '12 6:32pm PST 
With Piper, I regretted where she came from, but I know now that I couldn't have really known better at the time so I've stopped kicking myself for that. But I never regretted her, for all her demons I loved the heck out of her and did up until the moment we had to put her down. I would hate to think where she would have gone had she not been with us, with all the behaviorists, blood, sweat, tears, time, energy, and love we put in with her we did the best we could and for the time I had her the good times were great.

Violet is my fiancee's dog, and she has been quite the pup. laugh out loud I know that sometimes my fiancee has moments where she doesn't know what she was thinking, but she loves Violet with a very very deep intensity. I love her too, I think she's crazy, but I love her too. I think both of us were very surprised at the working drive and intensity she has, I believe she got her manual confused with a BC somewhere on the assembly line. But no, not any remorse on choosing her. She's actually the only dog in the house that could give a hoot about me at the moment. We have a great working relationship and she's phenomenal to train.

Java - my fiancee could write a book of love notes about him. He's still all puppy and will be for quite sometime. She adores him, nearly worships the ground he walks on and has likened him to a "statue of a greek god" if I may quote her laugh out loud. For me, I'm a little bummed, he's a Doberman and they're one-person dogs and as we speak he's laying in the bathroom as she showers. He's NOT ambiguous at all about who he's chosen so...for me it's a bit disappointing, but I'm biding my time we're planning on adding our third and final furry family member in about three years and that one will be more my thing so I have good things in the works, although the wait will be quite long.
[notify]
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Tue May 1, '12 7:16pm PST 
I've never once regretted my decision. I'll admit that I didn't do a whole lot of research prior to getting Cricket - I was young, and they were pretty dogs, and it didn't go a whole lot further than that. But I guess I'm just lucky - I couldn't ask for better dogs than Cricket and Journey, they just fit in my lifestyle so well. I don't think I'll ever be without a LHW in my life.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 8: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8