GO!

Do you, or have you ever, regretted choosing your dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 9:54am PST 
Well, no. I never regret either of mine. I really couldn't imagine life without them right now. Sure they have ruined the carpet and we'll never get our deposit back, but this was a much quieter, more stressful space without them here. The only regret I have is not taking Foxxy's puppy too. It really hit me after I got Taggert. We should have taken the puppy. But we really couldn't. It would have grown up in a year, but I didn't know if I was getting a job or anything. A thousand things could have happened. Plus we didn't know what breeding went into that puppy, so we didn't know if it was healthy at all. Her previous owners, none of the many houses she was foisted into took her to the vet. We knew at teh time that we could handle an adult dog. And I know that it was the right decision to make at the time. But I always wonder what if we would have taken in that puppy. We wouldn't have gotten Taggert, so there's that. And I absolutely don't regret Taggert. He's the perfect dog for us. We researched him, sought him out. He was matched with our personalities, and he's honestly more compatable with our house than foxxy is. But I love my Fox. Between Foxxy and Taggert It's like Ceasar Milan talks about when he talks about the dog you choose versus the dog you were given. WE love them both, but Foxxy was given to us. Taggert was our choice. WE regret neither, but there is just a different dynamic of relationship.
[notify]
Liam

Lil Country Boy

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 11:01am PST 
Have I ever regretted choosing my two? Well No. While Liam drives me up the wall at times, i have never regretted having him even though I didn't choose him. Tuarwen i love her, and she is perfect in my opinion. I know she has her flaws(whines, disobeys sometimes) but she is perfect for me. I am glad I could get her out of her previous home.

Infact just this past weekend Liam made me so proud. Me and Liam went to visit my mom for the weekend, because I didnt trust my roomie not to take him to the pound. While he growled at the family at first, by time we left early monday morning he was playing with em and letting them pet him. We even took him on a walk and he didnt react to the person walking their dog ahead of us, nor to the black and tan coonhound that was behind an electric fence.
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 2:44pm PST 
That's an interesting question.
Okami's breed is perfect for me, of that I have no doubt.

I regret about where Okami came from and that my mom surprised me with her as a Christmas gift two years ago. I regret that I didn't tell my mom no when I saw the place we were getting Okami from and offering to pay her for the deposit she already put down for her.

However, I do not regret what Okami has taught me through dealing with her problems. I have learned so much about different methods of training, dog behavior, and just dogs in general all through working with her to help her overcome her problems. The things I have accomplished with Okami has also given me confidence in other aspects of my life which I am very thankful for. I don't think I would be nearly as well off if I had gotten a more "perfect" Shiba. And though we still have many challenges ahead of us, I look forward to trying to solve them and help Okami be a more confident Shiba.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 3:32pm PST 
Sometimes, I guess...
I know if her previous owners has told me how leash reactive she was when I contacted them about her, I never would have adopted her, since I really wanted to do animal assisted therapy. They told me she'd be great at it but failed to mention that she would bark, growl and lunge any time another dog came in sight.
We couldn't even think about doing any therapy training until we got the reactivity under control, and although we did and she did pass 2 evaluations to be a therapy dog, she failed the test for the other program I really wanted to join because she barked at another dog before the test (automatic fail, we didn't even get to take it.)
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 3:42pm PST 
There have been times I felt in over my head.

Frankie is my first dog ever, and as such, my first puppy ever. So, he was a handful..

I did do my research into what seemed a 'perfect fit' for our lifestyle and what we could offer, and also given the fact that we have a small house with a somehwat small yard, a small breed seemed the way to go. It is the way to go!

But Frankie is a very pushy dog. One trainer we worked with coined the perfect word for him--"persistant".

His energy level is also off the charts! shock
The more exercise he gets, the more he is raring to go! eek

But I do see occasional glimmers of the dog he is becoming, and that makes me smile. smile

But there were very trying times that, in the very least, I swore off ever getting another dog again..frown

I can't say I ever regretted it, because the love for the dog was always there. cloud 9

But there were definitely some very overwhelming moments.

I am still not sure I will ever get a dog again.
I love dogs, but they are indeed a lot of work.

I just happened to be at a point in my life that a dog seemed like he would fit and we and the dog would both benefit.

The verdict is still out if I would ever get another dog, though...

Clear as mud...? lol..puppy
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 3:46pm PST 
I should add, in fairness to my choice of breed, I do think I was on the right track. I chose to go through petfinder to find a dog, thinking rescue was the way to go. I inquired about Frankie and basically before you knew it, he was in the car, on the way home with me..lol

So I really did not have a choice of the dog itself, it was not like I went to a breeder and inquired about temperaments of each pup, got to play with several pups and see how their persoanlities were, etc..

So, with a rescue, it is a little different..
I guess in that sense, there are no regrets! smile
[notify]
Kazba

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 4:30pm PST 
I have never regretted it, but there are a couple of times you wonder why I did this when they are young and not listening. But you just work with them more and get them the way you want them and everything is fine. But they are part of the family when i decide to bring them home so it is something you have to deal with and work with them.
[notify]
Lizzie

Sweet little- puppy in a big- new world!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 9:16am PST 
Lilith said "I constantly have a feeling of ' good dawg, just why?!?!?'..."

Lol... this is exactly how I feel with Lizzie. I just keep telling myself "She's still a puppy, she will grow out of it". laugh out loud I love her to death, and I do not regret adopting her. Despite training, she simply does not want to listen to anyone. She drives the other pups nuts, and sometimes I have to crate her just to give them a break. Our next step is professional training, which will happen this summer. She loves everyone and everything... which is her downfall. She loves everyone to the point of driving them crazysnoopy

The only pet I have ever regretted having is my new hamster, Bandit. I fully believe that he wants to kill me. Too bad for him, he weighs about 2 ounceslaugh out loud I literally cannot put my hand in his cage without him trying to attack me. I feed him, change his water, and clean his cage, but, other than that, I leave him alone!eek

Edited by author Fri Apr 13, '12 9:17am PST

[notify]
Dino

Buddha Dog

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 9:29am PST 
No regrets here. Dino is the perfect dog for our laid-back lifestyle. He's like a starter dog for people like us who have only owned cats previously: he naps a lot, he's very independent, he has bursts of energy followed by calm. I'm really happy we did the research and found a generally non-destructive dog who doesn't drool or bark much. We don't mind that his breed isn't super obedient, he's just good fun to have around.

I'd love to get a second Tibetan Spaniel!
[notify]
Ginger

Feed me.

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 1:18pm PST 
Never.
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8