GO!

Do you, or have you ever, regretted choosing your dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 4 of 8: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 6:23pm PST 
I have never regretted choosing Bunny. He is my heart dog. However, I could live without the high prey drive and impulsiveness. smile
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 6:26pm PST 
Princesse was not exactly chosen, but more thrust upon us. I don't regret it, but I know hubby sometimes does. The funny part is she has wound up being more his dog than minesmile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 7:21pm PST 
None of my dogs have ever been chosen. It was fate. And I am forever greatful.

Some days when Shadow is having problems or the vet has yet more bad news, I wonder why. But then I look at her sweet face, so full of joy and I know. I couldn't regret it.

If I hadn't brought Sabi home I would now be dead. She would not have been there that night to save me. Of all the dogs I've owned Sabi is the one who never gave me a moments doubt.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 7:21pm PST 
OP, first I want to say, your friend's experience is pretty normal- teenage Aussies are CRAZY! Especially with inexperienced owners who don't provide strict structure from the beginning. Maggie was a terrible hellion at that age. He WILL settle down as he ages- he will probably never be a couch potato (Maggie isn't either) but the frenetic activity, the adolescent testing behavior, that will improve if she doesn't give up on him. Getting into a sport of some kind, to burn energy, is still a great idea (for dogs of every breed!) but I'd say "wait and see" if she still regrets adopting him in a year or so.

Sometimes I have moments of frustration or anger at Bruno's behavior, and I think, "Why did I choose YOU of all the dogs out there?" but as I'm pretty certain he would not be alive today if I hadn't adopted him, I don't really "regret" it per se. He's been a learning experience, and while not perfect, he's still a good dog. He's taught me what I'm naturally good at in dog training, and what I need to work on, and what canine personality traits I really value and will look for in my next one.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 6:08am PST 
It's awesome to hear all the replies!!

It seems that lack of knowledge is the reason that most people regret getting their dogs; maybe just not knowing what they were getting into and having dogs turn out in a way that the owner didn't expect.

Part of me wishes I had rescued a dog, because I think it's an awesome thing to do so. But, I really wanted a dog I knew for sure would be have the focus and drive to do doggy sports, so I went with a breeder who both showed in conformation, and did herding and agility with her dogs. And of course, health tested for all of the super-duper important things like hips, thyroid, eyes, DM, IVDD, you name it.

I don't think my dog would be a good fit for everyone. Really, she's too drivey and energetic to be a regular pet and fit into a normal household where someone just wants a sweet family dog.

I guess part of all of this is just finding a dog that fits what you want, no matter where it comes from. It's good to hear that even though some of you have dogs that you aren't 100% thrilled with, that you'd still keep them and love them.

Even if my dog hadn't turned out for sports, she'd still be my best friend.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 6:42am PST 
Hard to say regret, but if I were to do it all over again, I doubt I would have chosen Sanka. But. it's safe to say I have changed a lot since getting him. He was an awesome dog for the time being, but he's a big pain in the butt now due to genetics. Hounds aren't my thing. And it's frustrating trying to enjoy a hike while being dragged down the path by a crazy hound trying to sniff everything!

I love him either way, and he's taught me a lot....mostly what I don't want in a dog.laugh out loud
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:30am PST 
The shelter I first volunteered at called that "dirt surfing" Sanka.

Walkers wouldn't declare they were taking any given hound for a walk but rather hound was going to take them "dirt surfing," be back in about a half hour...or whenever said hound figured they'd drag them back to the kennels.

I can sympathize with you on that. Even if the dog was sweet as pie I never found those walks very relaxing either!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 9:15am PST 
Dirt surfing!laugh out loud I like it.

Sanka's not horrible. Since he's aged, the initial pulling doesn't last as long. But when he smells something he really likes, it takes all my might to get him off of it. The last time I lost him, he literally pulled me into a thorn bush of sorts and pulled so hard I had to let go of the leash because it hurt so much!

The summer heat works wonders on that issue though lol. 10 minutes and done.big grin

With all that said, he is a really well-rounded dog and a total goofball, even though he doesn't try to be. His weirdness is amusing.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 9:36am PST 
I didn't choose my dogs. Their owners that didn't want them anymore chose me cause I have a big "S" on my forhead..Sucker.

Hucky...after what he did to my house and other belongings the first year, did I regret taking him? Oh yeah. Did the thought of getting rid of him cross my mind. Yup.

Ringo... got him 1 1/2 yrs after Huck. He wasn't bad but he wasn't good either. By the time I got him, we had Huck pretty much trained as far as recall, hand signals, manners and a few other things.He had calmed down quite a bit as far as his distruction. Ringo took a strong bonding to Huck right away and followed Hucks every move and still does everything Huck does, so in a sense, Huck trained Ringo.

Now, I have no regrets what so ever. The tough times are over and my 2 boys are a pleasure to come home to every night. I can't imagine being without them.

Edited by author Thu Apr 12, '12 9:41am PST

[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 9:48am PST 
Never with Siri. I fell in love with the black-and-tan puppy at first sight, and, even though he's chewed a few things, well, that's what puppies do. I worked with him, he stopped chewing my stuff and he's one of the most wonderful dogs I know.

For about five minutes with Belle, when she got between Siri and a treat, and he snapped at her and accidentally got her! She yipped and ran away, he looked embarrassed and things calmed down. She naps on top of him now.

The puppies? Belle brought them unexpectedly, with her. No, I never regretted that she brought me puppies. They all got great homes, and we went and got Belle's little sister, Evie, who I also don't regret. I love having all the dogs, so nope, no regrets here.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 8: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8