GO!

Do you, or have you ever, regretted choosing your dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 8: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 9:59pm PST 
Honestly, yes. Do I love him? Of course. Would I ever give Abner up? Never!

But gosh, I wasn't totally financially prepared for this itchy, needy dog! Things have gotten easier, but man. Sometimes I do wish I could go out with a coworker for an hour and I wouldn't have to worry about boogerface.

I also don't know if there was a better option for him, really. He -needed- a home. I couldn't send him back to be jerked around again.

I do wish I got more of a love feeling from him though. He can be sort of an aloof guy. He's lucky he's so stinkin' cute. I swear.
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 10:06pm PST 
Yes! Totally regretted getting Duncan for, like...the first few months I had him! I was just out of college and knew nothing about dogs. He was my first dog, ...by that I mean, I hadn't had a dog growing up, was never even around them much. And I went out and adopted an 8 week old puppy. I had NO idea how hard it is to raise a puppy...the challenges, (mouthing, biting, chewing, housetraining, insane energy, etc), but also I just hadn't any idea what an investment of time and effort it takes, so I had been unprepared to have that in my life, you know?

I was pretty miserable and frustrated. Giving up on him, or getting rid of him, never really crossed my mind though. I started learning how to raise a puppy...on-the-job training, lol.

Needless to say, I have no regrets now about getting Duncan, and having had him in my life for 17 years.
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 10:26pm PST 
Not anymore, but yes, I have.

We were completely unprepared for her issues (pretty intense reactivity to dogs and people). I'm sure the rescue didn't know the extent of her issues either at the time of her adoption. "Reactivity" is still a pretty new concept where I'm from.

We were looking for an easy-going family pet and ended up with an on-going project. We've had to do a lot of learning, adapting, and management in order to make it work.

Honestly, other than the reactivity (which is a biggie), she is the perfect dog... Unfortunately, "perfect dog" does not make public appearances! laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Apr 10, '12 10:36pm PST

[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 11:25pm PST 
When I first brought Jackson home, he headbutted me ALL THE TIME for like three months. I couldn't sit down without him just lunging and headbutting me. I got a lot of blood noses. It was not what I was expecting as I have never, ever had a dog who did that. And pretty much for the first year he yanked my arm out on the lead, and made me fall over wearing flip flops (never, EVER wear flip flops when you are walking a completely crazed and untrained, serious herding dog.) I have scars on my legs from where I got busted open, even. Even after he's gone I'll look at them and never forget him, I suppose!

I'll admit that I actually cried. I CRIED and wondered 'why did I do this, WHY did I want this nutbag breed? What the HELL was I thinking - why didn't I get an old lab?!?!"

I'm pleased to report, after hours of reading dog training books, weepily consulting the dogster forums, and commiting to a gargantuan exercise routine, he's absolutely terrific! Very strongly bonded and nice and calm. Herders are well worth the work, that's for sure. I can't imagine not having him.

I still might get than old lab one day, though. Or a nice lazy Bernese. laugh out loud
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 10:56am PST 
No, I think I won the lottery with Gus! laugh out loud

But I don't know if I can say I "exactly" chose her---she made it pretty clear when when she was brought to meet me she thought she would be very comfortable here (and by here I mean on the sofa with her head in my lap)! laugh out loud
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 1:13pm PST 
We had our doubts at first, since Jane was incredibly skittish while she was adjusting to her new home. But, I don't regret adopting her in the slightest. She's a very easy dog. I do wish I had a dog to do agility/obedience/ect with (or at least one that would chase a ball if it was thrown), but that's what I'm looking for in my next dog. I knew what I was getting before we even decided on Jane, so I really shouldn't complain.
[notify]
Bailey

There's nothing- in my mouth, I- swear!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 2:32pm PST 
I honestly can't imagine not having Bailey. It was between her, and buying a BEAUTIFUL dog from another litter. We wouldv'e gone with them, their photos were bettter, and seemed nicer. But they didn't respond to us, so we turned to Bailey's litter. It was just her and her sister.

I'll admit we did buy her from a BYB, she wasn't being taken care of in the best ways (fleas, and wasn't fed the proper amount she needed for her size) and we have NO IDEA what her parents even looked like.

But I like to think we made a difference in her life (I can't see any better home for her, she fits in so perfectly here) Yes, she does have a problem with eating EVERYTHING laugh out loud, and wasn't socialized properly, but I would NEVER give her up now. And sometimes I wonder where Bailey would be right now if the other seller would've responded to usthinking I also wonder if we had gotten that other dog if it would be as well behaved.

I love Bailey more than I've loved any other dog (which isn't really saying much considering my only other dog was when I was REALLY younglaugh out loud)But I'm just so thankful I came across her. She makes me smile everyday and I wouldn't want any other dog.
[notify]
Hope *adopted

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 3:33pm PST 
Honestly I did for a while regret keeping Hope. I didn't really choose her she was left in a box at the end of my drive and I was going to foster her, but that turned into keeping her. At the time I was actually looking into getting a Border Collie from a breeder I know to do obedience and agility with.

Hope is the complete opposite of what I was wanting in my next dog. She doesn't really care about being around people, doesn't care about training, will look at you like you are crazy if you try to get her to play with you.
She is very in to playing with the other dogs and running the pasture alone. Doesn't like joining in family events unless they are at the farm.

Even though she is not what I was wanting in another dog I love her and wouldn't give her up for anything. I'll just have to wait a few years for my agility dog.
[notify]
Shandi *Oct- 2006 - Aug 2012*

Goofball

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 3:39pm PST 
I guess I didnt exactly think it through very well breed wise with Shandi and Banjo but of course I love them and I cant imgaine not having them.

Shandi I adopted at 1 and boy was she a handful for the first year or so. She chewed up EVERYTHING and had crazy amount of energy. I'd owned a ridgeback before but Shandi is obviously alot more Lab so her personality is more like a Lab. She figured out how to open the side gate and kept escaping. She would pull like crazy on walks and she was a very clingy dog. Now she's past the puppy stage and a very mellow dog. She's happy to just sleep all day and get cuddles. Although before she had her TPLO surgery she was escaping night and day she hasnt escaped for a while now. So no I dont reget adopting her but I probably wont ever have a Lab/mix again.

Now for Banjo. Well I wanted a puppy and a friend for Shandi and I fell in love with adorable 6 weeks old Banjo. No I didnt think it through like him barely being with his mum. We brought him home at 7 weeks. He's had food aggression since about 10 weeks. He was an extremely fearful puppy and even now is scared of alot fo things. I've worked and worked on it and he's alot better but I still dont trust him with raw meet or bones. He also now has dog aggression issues. He fights big time through the fence with the neighbours dog. He is a dog that will bite me and I know he will so I'm always cautious. Being a herding breed he has so much energy and I wasnt prepared for that. He's a great dog but I will never again own any herding breed/mix. It's just way too much for me to handle.
[notify]
Zora

Zora - Wonderdog

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 3:53pm PST 
The first year I had Zora I had wondered what I got myself into. She caused a lot of property damage and was extremely hyper. She has really settled in now (but it took her 3 years,) and I'm glad we stuck by her. She has turned into an amazing girl.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 8: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8