GO!

Do you, or have you ever, regretted choosing your dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 2:15pm PST 
much like the others. I have days where i look at Jake and wonder why? but then I've never regretted jake. He's a good dog. He just took some work.

For the cross your friend has. She needs to put some work into him.

I've had some days where we were really low and i thought jake was a lot but i've never really regretted bringing him home. He's my boy and his little beagle face just brightened up the darkest of days.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 2:25pm PST 
I got my shelter dog on an impulse decision that I don't ever plan to use to get a dog again but I'm glad I got him. Even though we never bonded very strongly, he taught me a lot about dogs and my mother adores him.

If the dog has a strong herding instinct, your friend should consider herding lessons. Even if she'll never need a stock dog in any real life situations, it's a great outlet for the dog. I take Onyx herding once a week and there's no activity he enjoys more. It's a great physical and mental workout for the dog.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 2:28pm PST 
I'll admit that there have been times in the past 5 months where I think "maybe I would have been better off not bringing Rigby home"

Before I even get a chance to sink deeper into that thought she usually brightens my day up with her cuddling or ridiculous antics.

That then changes my perspective, what would have happened to her had I not come along?
Between being in a downtown city shelter (no place for a herding dog IMO), and her many "issues"....
When we found her, she had already been adopted out and returned once. How many more homes would she have gone through?

So yeah, maybe I have rethought my choice on bringing Rigby home, but I doubt that she's ever once felt the same way. And that's enough to stop my "regret"
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 4:02pm PST 
Never. Being a mixed breed puppy, I didn't really know what to expect from Farley but I took full responsibility and gave him everything he needed. I put in all the work and took on all the challenges he threw at me. I did whatever it took to make sure he would be a happy, healthy adult and I enjoyed every moment of it. Even the annoyed, frustrated ones. smile
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 4:07pm PST 
I'll go ahead and admit that there were times when Ava was growing up and I was realizing that she'd never be the dog I wanted, that I regretted getting her, but I could never give her up.

She's a wonderful girl for who she is. smile No, she'll never be interested in catching a frisbee, nor will she ever herd sheep or fly through an agility course... but she is an amazing girl all the same. Why just today on the last half of our walk--we started out off-leash in the woods and walked a loop that takes us back out to the community where I leashed them up again--I let Ava "carry" her own leash by draping it over her back. She knows to walk on the sidewalk, and to wait for me to give the word before she crosses the street, so I just let her walk herself while I walked Nix on his leash (because he would run in the street. The dummy.) laugh out loud

It's not the first time I've let Ava walk herself home either. It's awesome. Even though she's not my ideal dog, she's perfect, and the regrets I used to have about getting her are long gone by now. I've learned to accept her for the dog she is, and I wouldn't trade her for anything. smile

Still though, I understand people who have regrets about the dog they got. Even if it is for a lame reason like "didn't research the breed." It's really too bad they didn't, yes, but now they've ended up with a dog they can't handle. There's people who care enough to try to make it work out anyways, but if it's not going to work out then it's better to rehome the dog with someone who's better equipped to deal with that, than it would be to keep it and be miserable, because a miserable owner makes a miserable dog.

The rescue I adopted Ava from, and then later volunteered at, adopted out a fear-aggressive dog to my neighbor... without telling her all there was to know about him. She's a very sweet lady, but she's NOT a person who can handle a dog with those kinds of issues. Still, she loved him and tried to work with him to the best of her abilities, but I could tell from watching her walk him every day that he was wearing on her and she was probably regretting the impulse-adoption. When he bit her Grandchild in the face she returned him. I was pretty upset and disheartened that the rescue--the people who failed to find the right match for this lady and instead urged her to impulse-adopt this cute-but-very-fearful mutt--were now bad-mouthing her on their Facebook page and saying how people like that are scum and have no business owning dogs. It's not true. Like I said, my neighbor is really sweet, and she'd make a great home to the right dog, but unfortunately not every dog is right for every person, and I'm firm in my belief that she did the right thing by returning him--it was never going to work out for that particular case. In some cases it's ok to regret the getting dog you got, and to give him back. It can be the very best thing for the dog too.
(note: the fearful dog is still around, but he hasn't been adopted yet and from the looks of it they say nothing about his fear problems on his bio page... Just setting up the next adopters for another disaster. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in that rescue... :/

Edited by author Tue Apr 10, '12 4:28pm PST

[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 4:12pm PST 
Not really. I mean... how could I regret such a loyal, snuggly, happy girl like Keira? The puppies (a Miniature Poodle & a Shih Tzu) haven't quite developed into what they are going to be, so I'll reserve my judgement until a later date wink
I guess my biggest regret has nothing to do with my actual dog... but more with the way people react to her. It goes one of four ways:
1. Some random guy with a big American Bully asks if he can buy her off of me to breed with his male (no lie... has happened 6 times!)
2. Someone gives me a dirty look, and/or yanks their kids away, while muttering under their breath about "those vicious Pit Bulls".
3. A person rushes up with their dog and asks WHILE my dog is groveling at their dogs feet if its okay if their dog meets mine.
4. The person questions whether or not she's really a Pit Bull because SHE SOOOOO NICE!

I never thought about how the public would react to her when I got her.

I think my biggest regret with a dog, though... had to have been Caesar. I honestly don't know if I would do it again if I could go back in time. We spent 8 months loving him, and getting him healthy, only to take him in for a check up and lose him within an hour. I am slowly getting my head it (this just happened last month). It just seemed like I wasted 8 months of my life devoting myself to this dog who was cruelly stolen from me by cancer. I loved him, still love him! I just don't know if I will ever adopt an "older" dog again. cry
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 4:13pm PST 
Nope, never. All my dogs have been well thought out and researched additions.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 4:41pm PST 
Nope, no regrets. I suppose my timing could have been better with Valentine, but it had nothing to do with her.
[notify]
Lizzie, CGC

Fence Jumper

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 7:57pm PST 
Sometimes I regret adopting Lizzie. She was a somewhat impulsive adoption. Even though I had been looking at dogs for awhile online she was the first I met. She was a private rehome and her owners I don't think asked me enough questions to make sure I was a good fit. God knows I didn't ask enough other than to ask if she was housetrained, if she would be ok in an apartment with me gone during the day and if she would be ok with my cats. I didn't even know how old she was when I got her. They said she was between 6 and 9, so she's either 9 or 12 now...

Lizzie was my first dog, and while she was PERFECT for the first few years I've had her, we've just never had that tight bond that I have with Sarah. I think it's just part of her getting older (9ish? 12sh?), but she has been crabbier than normal. She bit Sarah a few months ago and a few weeks ago she bit my foster dog. The first bite was her herding Sarah and then when Sarah didn't want to be herded anymore it turned into a scrap- everyone was too excied. The second one was over a bone. She is definitely the "queen B" (as in "itch") in this house. She will give lots of growly warnings and posturing, but she is not afraid to take it to the next level if the dog doesn't listen. It bothers me to see Sarah slink around because of Lizzie. She doesn't always act afraid, but some days they just don't get along as well. Lizzie also likes to herd my cats, jump my fence, and be a jerk to the fosters. I still love her and she'll be with me to the day she dies!
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 8:49pm PST 
Adopter's remorse for like an hour after Zephyr bit Asta in the face and I had an emergency vet trip for a bleeding eye but we got through it.

Otherwise, no. I'd been researching the breed since high school. I had zero doubts I could handle a cattle dog (I have a weird appreciation of sass in my dogs and that's the nice word). Zephyr is occasionally a little too tuned in but it's not her fault. It means I have to really watch the body language and tone with her because if I sound upset she wilts. (I don't even have to be upset with her. If I'm feeling even remotely off one day I don't train because she is off too.)

I'm an obsessive researcher and planner so I was fully prepped for the worst and god a doll. wink
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8