GO!

Giant Poodles

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Ayden

Shelter Dogs- Rule

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 8:15pm PST 
Does anybody know how big Giant Poodles, also known as Royal Standard Poodles, get? I saw one at the dog park and was amazed at his size! When he stood on his hind legs he was almost as tall as his owner! I can't find anything online about the height of Giant Poodles. The dog I saw was much, much bigger than a Standard Poodle. He was a good 5 inches or more taller than any Standard Poodle I've ever seen. The owner said he was a purebred Giant Poodle. I'm really having a hard time finding much breed information online.

Edited by author Mon Apr 9, '12 10:57am PST

Approved by forums moderator
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 8:32pm PST 
There is no such thing as a "purebred" giant Poodle.

Only Standard Poodles bred grossly over standard by irreputable breeders.

There is no standard for height because there is no standard period.
[notify]
Ayden

Shelter Dogs- Rule

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 8:34pm PST 
Uh..huh...Thanks Mulder...Anybody with a REAL answer care to respond? shrug
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 8:37pm PST 
That IS a real answer.

"Giant" Poodles are not a breed. They have no standard, thus no consistent average in height.
[notify]
Ayden

Shelter Dogs- Rule

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 8:41pm PST 
Mulder,

Please stop spamming my thread. I'm looking for a real answer to my question. If you aren't going to answer the question, please don't even respond.
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 8:46pm PST 
Have to agree with Mulder. There are 3 recognized types of Poodle. Toy, Miniature, and Standard.

http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/poodles.htm
[notify]
Ayden

Shelter Dogs- Rule

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 8:55pm PST 
What about the Klein/Moyen Poodle that is recognized by the FCI? Are they just bred by irresponsible breeders too? laugh out loud
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 9:09pm PST 
you're asking abou poodle the Moyen Poodle which is not recognized by the AKC. the poster who said it wasn't recognized is probably referring to the AKC. FCI and UKC will recognize it but it does not compete in the United States' AKC.

And there is no recognized "giant poodle" so Moulder's reply of probably standards bred far above standard by irresponsible breeders is probably the most correct answer you're going to get.

If you wanna get techinical about types of poodles there still isn't a 'giant' variety. The largest they come is 'standard'. then you have the Miniature. between the miniature and standard is the Moyen Poodle. And then you have the smaller toy and tea-cup variety.

Still no giant. So Mulder did not spam your thread.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 12:10am PST 
Mulder gave a correct answer.

And Moyens are not 'unrecognized' in the AKC - they simply don't have their own variety. They fall within the size specifications of a Standard Poodle in the lower range of size. Now stop spamming your own thread and the board.

ETA: yes most of the breeders who tag Moyen are irresponsible in the USA.

Edited by author Sat Apr 7, '12 12:14am PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 9:08am PST 
Welcome to Dogster. We don't spam here..we give advice & answer questions. Muldur is not spamming just because you disagree with what she said. Others have provided you with the same information.
There are the 3 recognized sizes. "Giant" is not recognized, nor are the "teacup" sizes also being marketed.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10