GO!

Are there any breeds you think you just couldn't handle?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 6:28pm PST 
I am a dog lover and love all dogs great and small and hairless!

That being said, I've been reading and learning about all different breeds and have decided there are some dogs that are just beyond my ability to handle.

I think the first part of the problem is that I'm not that strong in the upper body, and some very large strong dogs might give me a run for my money if they played up on the lead (being dragged on my chest really doesn't appeal.)

The second part of the problem is that I don't think I have what it takes to handle the sharper breeds personality wise and they would walk all over me and probably make my life hell.

These breeds I just don't think I could manage are the Cane Corso (that quivering ball of muscle and attitude would just reduce me to jelly), Giant Shnauzer (no hope), Black Russian Terrier (no hope part two), Dogo Aregentinio and Japanese Tosa (similar reason to the Corso), Akita and Chow (I like them and admire them but could never handle all that Stoicism), and Weimaraners just because from what I've seen they are VERY rambunctious and would squish me with their exuberance. Also a Great Dane and Wolfhound would probably overwhelm me on merits of sheer size. (But I like them, especially Danes.)

Are there any breeds that you guys have looked at and thought 'never, not in a million years?' And for what reason?
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 6:51pm PST 
The rare absolutely some breeds I refuse to consider, some of them (like yours) are large breeds that just don't mesh with me. Cane Corso and Standard Shnauzer are both on that list, as are chows and the pumi, BRT, and mal. There is a certain level of "hard" that goes beyond my capabilities.

But there are others, an Alaskan Husky or Malamute would never work because of where I live, and I don't value certain levels of stubborn, of which many of those spitz breeds are prone.

But let's keep going, shi tzu isn't on my future list either. I just find that I do NOT get along with their "OMG! PAT ME! LOOK AT MEEE!!! CAN I GET IN YOUR LAP?! Nevermind, OH LOOK A TOY! WANNA PLAY?!?! NEVERMIND, JUST PET ME! INTRUDER ALERT!" it drives me nuts... Haha. I think small schnauzers, Scottish terriers, and possibly the chihuahua are also on the small-breed anti-list. laugh out loud
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 6:58pm PST 
Labradors, Golden Retrievers, Shih Tzus, and the rest of the "you're my owner and I love you, and I'm going to follow you everywhere to make sure you know that I love you and......"
I'm not a clingy dog person.
Sure I like cuddles every now and then, but I just don't think I could handle a 24/7 velcro like dog.

Siberian Husky and other Nordic "escape artist" breeds. The majority of my dogs exercise now consists of off-leash walking. But then again, I do have the equipment for skijoring, and it'd be nice to have a dog that could actually pull....maybe hold off on that thought.

Some of the "primal" tough dog breeds such as the Cane Corso and others mentioned. I simply don't have the....I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here....authority maybe? To handle such a dog.
Yet then again, I'm looking to get a Beauceron in the future and from what I gather they're a pretty domineering large breed as well.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 7:00pm PST 
"But let's keep going, shi tzu isn't on my future list either. I just find that I do NOT get along with their "OMG! PAT ME! LOOK AT MEEE!!! CAN I GET IN YOUR LAP?! Nevermind, OH LOOK A TOY! WANNA PLAY?!?! NEVERMIND, JUST PET ME! INTRUDER ALERT!" it drives me nuts... "

Agreed, Gunner. I could handle that physically, sure, but mentally - it would wear me out. Some people love that but it's not for me, also, they could not keep up with me, I can just imagine a pack of pekes streaming behind me in an open field gasping for breath and my kelpie nipping them and rounding them up . . . erm, no.

I became interested in pugs at one stage and my husband told me to stop being stupid lol. He said they would pass out after twenty minutes of outside time and could you imagine taking one swimming? I conceded. wink
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 7:03pm PST 
I think we all tend to over-estimate what we can handle but I'm pretty confident that I could work with just about anything with a stable temperament for the breed in some capacity mainly because I refuse to give in to bad behavior. laugh out loud

Filas. Could I do it? Probably with some serious trial and error but it's not something I want to go in to or the kind of trial and error I'd want to tackle.

Working line Dutch Shepherds are above my handling ability right now but in the future that won't be the case.

Personality wise there are a lot of bad matches that I would never choose deliberately anyway.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 7:04pm PST 
"Siberian Husky and other Nordic "escape artist" breeds. The majority of my dogs exercise now consists of off-leash walking. But then again, I do have the equipment for skijoring, and it'd be nice to have a dog that could actually pull....maybe hold off on that thought."

The mal and sibe are actually my favorite breeds. I can handle that sort of stubborn, and can handle the leash requirements (and because I live in the country the worst thing that could happen if one ran away is that they would get a dirty coat and some burrs and maybe eat a rabbit, there's no chance of a car hitting them in a vast empty field which is comforting.)

I also really like the idea of ski-joring and something about their temprement really appeals to me, sure they're brats but they're lovable brats.

I'm sure a Cane Corso is also lovable to the right person but they kinda make me feel nervous hehe. It's just too much dog!

Zephyr you are right, when you're set in your guns you probably could theoretically handle anything, but then again that game of trial and error could end badly too if you're not one hundred percent confident.

Edited by author Wed Mar 21, '12 7:07pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 7:19pm PST 
Zephyr took the words right out of my mouth. A Dutch Shepherd is on my "for sure someday" list but I need a lot more experience before I'll be ready for that!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 8:02pm PST 
I never had heard of a Dutch Shepherd before it was mentioned here.

They look AMAZING - definitely something to work toward.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 8:13pm PST 
i've actually met some Argentinian Dogos. They go to my dog park. I can say just about any bully breed if a no go for me. Only because They're so large and really love to please you.

Maybe i'm a masochist shockred faceshock

I'm really into dogs that you have to work to train them.

I really want a chow chow or Akita but i feel i don't have enough experience to be a truely fair owner. I'm hoping my next dog will be a bit more independent then jake so i can work my way up to an akita or chow chow.

I'd love to have a pretty orange chow in my yard. I kinda like the whole. I'm well behaved and stoic attitude they got. Plus i had a forum on here asking about them and learned some cool stuff about them.

I don't feel i could deal with high energy dogs or dogs that aren't aware of there own limits.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 8:21pm PST 
Your list is pretty much the same as mine, Jackson. With the Cane Corso, Giant Schnauzer, Tosas, BRTs etc, I feel like they're the type of breeds where you have to get things right with them the first time around or it will be a big disaster. I'm afraid of screwing up something whether it's socialization, training, etc. I love button pushers, though. I think they keep things interesting.

Edited by author Wed Mar 21, '12 8:26pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8