GO!

Info on the German Pinscher, please!

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 10:02am PST 
Just doing a lot of reading and researching of medium sized dog breeds (about 30-50 pounds). Mainly just because I want to expand my knowledge on many dog breeds, but also because I may choose one as my future companion due to the smaller size.

I had only heard of the German Pinscher once before and don't know much about them. What is their general temperament? How trainable are they, are they biddable? Since they are a smaller breed, would they mature a little quicker (emotionally I mean)? Are they social or more reserved and aloof? Are they prone to DA or are they (in general) known to be good with other dogs? High prey drive? For exercise, how much are we talking? Do they have a good off switch inside the house? Are they a breed who can be tolerant of young children if raised or introduced right? (I have many younger cousins) Are they a less sensitive breed?

Looking at their build they seem very athletic and I've read that they are a considered a working dog so I'm assuming they would be a breed very happy to work Nosework, agility, and rally, but I don't want to assume.

I can't think of any other questions, but I'd love to hear more about this breed.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 8:58pm PST 
Hi, Lenny! I fear I am about to give you a profile that will burst your bubble, but should it and you want to say why, then maybe I can point you in a right direction. Or maybe I am completely off base and you will say "oh, how nifty!"....but somehow, I don't think so. Let's see!

The German Pinscher is a peer breed to the Standard Schnauzer, both evolving and emerging for the same basic purpose....a smaller sized "do it all" farm dog, developed primarily for ratting but, life and the farm and all that jazz wink, shot off in other directions also - they could herd, they could protect, probably even hunt.

The Standard Schnauzer def was Germany's pride and joy, and over time....which does underscore the importance of the dog fancy....the German Pinscher died out. When this came to the attention of one German man, not long after, it bothered him greatly and he rebuilt the breed. Important to know as he valued its place in the working dog world, and so today what we have is a dog of working intention. He found a bitch who was very reminiscent of the true German Pinscher, and with careful breeding with Min Pins built the breed.

He is a versatile and very capable working dog, apt to connect most with those of German dog sensibility. He has a lot in common, not surprisingly then as now, with the Standard Schnauzer. In the first term of course the two shared a similar purpose, and in the rebuilt version, with much use of the Min Pin, was perhaps even more greatly influenced with the German terrier sensibility.

He is, ala terrier, an alert, lively, extremely quick witted dog. He is also, ala Germany, a high trainable and versatile dog. Very self assured and assertive. There is no job he can't do with aplomb, but is not a good first time dog....does not suffer fools and will quickly take over in the face of someone not decisive. As he was bred as a guardian, he is naturally suspicious of strangers and so needs a good deal of socialization when young. He has a brilliant mind, so he will thrive with mental challenge. He has a good bit of energy too, so takes some exercise. They are very Border Collie meets German protection breed. Active, strong willed, brilliant, have a ton of scope and can be trained to a very high level if you have the chops for it and are into a dog you can really invest in.

They take no jib from other dogs....this is a dominant breed....but properly introduced and being raised to be a proper gentleman or lady will get along with other dogs in the house. They are extremely athletic and bold...not much they can't do from a physical aspect.....and also do very well with high precision exercises.

If someone wanted a performance prospect of strong temperament but in a tidy size, this is a breed who would be on the list. Ghastly choice for a first time dog owner or someone who wants a casual pet, but they have lots to offer someone who wants a stoutly loyal, brilliant companion with some major working chops.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 8:58am PST 
Learning never bursts my bubble, Tiller. smile Quite the opposite!

I don't mind a dominant breed, actually quite used to it and due to my personality (as well as the general tone of my family) a more dominant/less sensitive breed works fairly well. I don't necessarily want to go as far as to say that I can handle the most dominant dog, but in general I feel a dominant breed is not a problem at all. Especially after working/living with Lenny, a very sensitive dog is a lot of work for me. I'm just a loud and forward gal, and it's hard for me to tone that down to a level that Lenny does well at. It's not even that I get angry or frustrated with him at all, just even baseline I'm a couple levels too high I guess. Hard to explain... or maybe I'm just over thinking it. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that! laugh out loud

I do want a dog to invest in, to work hard and to do a lot of things. So a breed that is known for being able to do and excel at many things is wonderful. I have found this wonderful world of dog training, and I don't think I will necessarily ever be able to have just a casual pet again. Life is a lot more fun when you're doing all these wonderful things with your dog.

Not sure the terrier energy is something I'm totally in love with though, especially in the house. I don't mind dogs who may not be dog park dogs, just as long living with another dog wouldn't be an issue as long as they have been raised to be respectful and the other dogs in the house are too. And I certainly don't mind an aloof breed, and actually prefer that.

All in all they sound like a wonderful breed... but I think they might just be a tad too intense for me. I think border collies (and their owners haha) are insane, so saying they're like a border collie with a protection element... I don't know about that. shrug

But I do love the idea of a very athletic, strong temperament in a smaller body.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 6:19am PST 
Hey guys!

Lenny, thanks so much for asking this question. Tiller, I really appreciate your overview of the breed.

My partner and I are looking into getting our first dog together, and we're tossing up between a German Pinscher (a 2 year old adult female who is a Swedish import and has a slightly uncharacteristic Lab perspective on life and people) and a Miniature Schnauzer (likely a puppy as not too many adults come up).

We live in a townhouse in a fairly busy part of town. Our place backs onto a laneway and there are a few warehouses around, meaning people and beeping reversing vehicles during the day. We also work full time, meaning the dog will be left alone during the week for 8-9 hours worst-case scenario. However we are looking at the dog being an indoor dog with outdoor priviledges, possibly crating during the day (the GP is already used to this) and being loose around the house when we are home and asleep. We also live 5 mins walk from an off-leash area that is on the river. I also love going down to the beach and we plan on having the dog with us whenever we can on weekends. Training lessons will be a must.

The slight dominance, intelligence and athletic abilities of the German Pinscher get my heart in a flutter (as well as the looks), however my partner is of a softer disposition and I suspect a GP will run rings around him. We both fell in love with a Mini Schnauzer at a dog show and appreciate their joviality and sweetness whilst still being a robust little dog (or a big dog in a little dog's body), but I really wanted a big dog and so I am leaning more towards a GP as they really are a big dog in a more compact medium-sized body.

Based on our situation, what are your takes on a GP vs a Mini Schnauzer, Tiller? I know I may be getting my hopes up and getting excited and charging ahead (which I'm prone to do), so some no-nonsense advice would be appreciated.
[notify]