GO!

Finding A Reputable Olde English Bulldogge Breeder

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Copernicus

Copee Copes

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 9:00am PST 
My boyfriend is wanting to get his first dog this year, and for the longest time he was set on an (English) Bulldog. While I feel they are wonderful dog's, with sweet, goofy temperaments, I also feel that their extensive health issues are a serious problem. I believe I may have successfully convinced my boyfriend that they are sweet digs, but ridden with health issues, and perhaps another breed would be better. He really wants a BULLDOG and while he grew up with Boxers, a Bulldog is what he is wanting. We have been looking into Olde English Bulldogges due to their ability to breed and whelp without medical assistance and their longer noses, and more stretched out bodies.

Since this breed isn't recognizes by the AJC, my main concerns are finding a reputable breeder. I live in St. Louis, MO and we are willing to travel about 12 hours (if absolutely necessary) to pick up our new pup. We are not planning on getting him until the late summer,but we have been slowly accumulating supplies for him such as toys, leash, collar, bowls, crate, etc.

The main things I want out of this breeder are:

1. A breeder who breeders for more then just health. I would like to see the dog's active in activitie such as weight pull, obedience, conformation, therapy dog work, etc.

2. A breeder who extensively health tests. I don't want a "if he breaks in the first year, bring him back and we'll REPLACE the pup" guarantee. I want OFAed parents and other registered health testing done.

3. A breeder who welcomes questions and is interested in maintaining a lifelong relationship with the puppy's owners.

Maybe what I am seeking is a tall order for a non-AKC recognized breed, but I would really like to find us a HEALTHY pup with good temperament and conformation. Living in MO (a major puppy mill and BYB state) I am very wary of the breeder we will choose. I tried looking on the Olde English Bulldogge Club of America's website for a list od breeder referrals, but couldn't find anything. So far all breeders I have found are super sketchy.

If anyone can help me track down a GOOD breeder that is at the most a 12 hour drive away from St. Louis, MO it would be much appreciated.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 9:40am PST 
No leads on Olde English Bulldogges.. a coworker had brought one from a pretty shady place so... confused

Anyway, has he considered looking into American Bulldogs?
[notify]
Copernicus

Copee Copes

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 11:08am PST 
He's not really into american bulldogs. If he wanted to go that route, he would just get a boxer, since that is what he grew up with. Plus, the american bulldog is not allowed in his apartment complex (but boxers and english/olde english bulldogges are). He may wind up with a boxer if we can't find a reputable Olde English breeder. I am only finding shady Olde English breeders. It is very dissapointing.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 11:47am PST 
Oh, so not like a Boxer type.

How about an established bulldog breed like the Bulldogue Campeiro (Brazilian Bulldog)? a good friend has one. .. they are recognized by the CBKC (Brazilian KC).. the Portuguese standards: http://www.cbkc.org/padroes/pdf/grupo11/BulldogCampeiro.pdf

Sorry, I know you didn't really ask for other breed suggestions, but I can't really recall any Olde English Bulldogge breeders that are any good, as I tried to help my coworker search for one without success. Course... the Brazilian Bulldog is a rare breed and you'd have to import one.. thinking

Edited by author Thu Jan 12, '12 11:52am PST

[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 12:00pm PST 
Every time I read that breed name I want to find a Medieval Times to kick.

While I know this breeding thing started as an attempt to get a more Victorian looking animal they have the exact same health issues as their AKC mix in counterparts. I think breathing may have improved slightly but given how varied the dogs look even that's questionable. That they are generally healthier is debatable and usually it's only the breeders themselves who say so, so pick extremely carefully. They have their own unaffiliated breed club so that would be the first place I would start.

Edited by author Thu Jan 12, '12 12:00pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 10:23am PST 
BenjaminBulldogges.com
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 10:48am PST 
OP asked for reputable breeders.. there's not a whole lot of information on the linked site, Guest, but at the least reputable breeders health test. Maybe you can actually give us your breed stock's registered names or a link to their OFFA site?

Edited by author Sat Mar 24, '12 10:49am PST

[notify]
Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 10:54am PST 
If you're willing to travel 12 hours it might be worth the expense to have it shipped. My husband and I we're looking for a Boston Terrier within 12 hours driving time as well but when we did the math it was the same cost of having them ship the puppy. Average shipping is $300 from what I've seen, this might vary on age, weight, and some airlines have restrictions or deny certain breeds. It's something to look into, this way you can find the absolute best and not be restricted by traveling!

Good luck! I know that my area, Colorado Springs, has an abundance of Olde English Bulldogs (and generally Bulldogs) however, I don't know anything on them.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 9:18am PST 
blue collar bullies out of Manchester NH, got my last 2 OEBs from them.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 9:43am PST 
Seriously... do you guys all pay to use that website template or what? Literally EVERY bully breeder's site I've ever seen has used that EXACT same web layout, just with different pictures.

I can't tell if its deliberate and you guys just have great coordination, of if ya'll are just lazy as sin.

Based on the actual information on most of the pages... I'm willing to bet the latter.

Dang, even the crappy contract is identical. Literally the same thing copy/pasted from a million other bully breeders.

Edited by author Thu Jul 19, '12 9:46am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2