GO!

How much more work is having 2 dogs instead of just 1?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 6:40pm PST 
I have puppy fever laugh out loud So I've been doing a lot of research into the breed we want for our second dog. We're not planning on getting another anytime too soon, but maybe, depending on how things go, at the end of this year or sometime next year.

Kitsune is 3 years old now, and he's showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon. He's VERY hyper and also very smart so needs a lot of stimulation and supervision. He can be a lot of work for us sometimes, but we (well me mostly) handle him well and we both love him very much and wouldn't change him for the world.

My fiance's main concern when we talk about the possibility of getting a 2nd dog sometimes is that it will be double the work having two. We where talking about it a bit earlier today and he said that the thought of having two Kitsune's is a bit daunting to him.

I guess my theory is that, since I'm already caring for Kitsune, adding another wouldn't be too much more work. I mean I can take them out together, feed them at the same time, and Kitsune will have another dog to play with instead of driving us crazy all the time. laugh out loud I guess I was thinking that, after the initial adjustment period, hopefully the new dog could fall into the current schedule we have with Kitsune so it's not like I'd necessarily have to do everything separately for each of them, I'd just have two dogs to walk etc together instead of one.

Neither my fiance or I have ever had 2 dogs at once. So I guess basically I'm just wanting to hear from people with experience, how much more work, on average, is having 2 dogs compared to having just 1? Is it really double the work?

I work from home so have lots of time to care for Kitsune and am very willing to put in the work of caring for another as well when the time comes, but I guess I'm just looking to get more of an idea of what we'll be getting ourselves into. laugh out loud

Thanks in advance for any replies and I hope everyone has a good weekend!
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 6:59pm PST 
Two dogs is three times the work, but four times the fun & lovecloud 9 Bear in mind, vet bills will double, as will licencing (duhlaugh out loud) BUT food costs may not double, depending on your food of choice.
This week it has been way more work with 2 because 1 has diarhea & has been getting me up every night, & having accidents while I'm at work.
Barking is more difficult to contain with 2..because it is a pack activity, so if one barks, the other will also..even if they do not have a clue what they're barking atlaugh out loud But again, I have gsds who do alert bark, so it just comes with having that breed.
All in all, if you have the time, money, & love..then I say go for it!snoopy
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 7:24pm PST 
depends on if your 2nd is also a similar sized dog. i found going from 1 to 2 small dogs wasn't a big deal, by 1 to 2 big dogs was (though after that 3 and up wasn't).. laugh out loud
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 7:51pm PST 
Definitely 3 times the work. 4 times the work if their personality differs or one has issues that need to be worked though. And don't forget they need separate training times.

There is nothing easy about adding extra dogs. But there is lots of extra love to go around!
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 8:08pm PST 
Initially it is going to at least double the amount of "work"
You've got to settle the new dog in, and settle Kitsune in with having a new permanent playmate.

When the new dog displays undesirable behaviour, Kitsune may pick up on it and act out, or stressed which can cause issues.

Also, now that your attention and love will be split between 2 dogs instead of focused on one, Kitsune may not be too happy about that either at first.

(And obviously double the vet bills, double the licensing fees, double the food etc.)

However, once you get the new dog into your "routine" and everyone is happy, it's really not a heck of a lot much different between 1 and 2 and 3.
We're still in the settling stage of Rigby so I guess I can't really put my experience in on the "3" yet laugh out loud
[notify]
Stinky

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 10:13pm PST 
Honestly... going from 1 to 2 wasn't a that much of a difference, and they were both crazy puppies at the time (and Stinky is/was dog aggressive). Even with them being puppies and Stinky's issues it was TONS easier than going from 2 to 3. I think after these 3 I'm sticking to 2 laugh out loud
[notify]
Sophie

Miss Bossy Fluff

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 11:25pm PST 
A lot of things that seem like they could be done at the same time might not work out that way, especially at first. So you'll kind of need double the "free" time, too, ha. Some are obvious...for example, separate training sessions are a necessity. But others aren't...I quickly learned that walking my first two dogs (got them a year apart) at once wasn't going to work. My new dog, Sophie, tugged and had to be walked separately so we could work on leash manners. And now, with four dogs in the house, I find I can only walk certain dogs together. Sophie and Bambi as a combo is a disaster...they get so excited that they tug, wrestle, and sometimes even bark. So don't assume you will be able to walk both dogs at the same time...plan for separate walks just in case. I also thought I'd be able to let them out at the same time for potty breaks. That didn't work out, either. Sophie and Rocky would be too distracted by each other to go. Now that our dogs are older it's not a problem, though.

I originally got Sophie as a play mate for Rocky. He was like your Kit...tons of energy! Unfortunately, Sophie had no interest in playing with him (and still doesn't really play with other dogs). So now I had to give him the same amount of exercise daily (read: a TON!) in addition to exercising my new puppy laugh out loud.

It's a lot of work and sometimes I got stressed because my time was now split between two dogs. But, uh, now we have four dogs (one is a foster)...so obviously the stress didn't stop me from wanting more wink. It's more work but so worth it. Sophie and Rocky were never close but she did bond to our third dog, Bambi. The two "hang out" all the time and always stick together when off-leash (which is great). They don't play much but sometimes cuddle. It's great to know that they have each others company while we're gone smile. And the antics of a pair or "pack" of dogs can be hilarious. Expect Kit and the new pup to get into all sorts of new trouble together, hahaha. Also expect more barking unless you end up with a really quiet dog! Rocky literally never barked inside...until I got Sophie, who did.

I think I'll always have at least two dogs. Even when they aren't totally bonded, most seem to enjoy the companionship.

What breed(s) are you thinking of?
[notify]
Three Musketeers

Triple Threat

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 12:27am PST 
It's deff alot more work...depending on what age of dog you are getting. Saleega was work but not as much as it was when adding Novie! With Saleega I didn't have to worry about potty training for very long as he was 1 1/2 yr when I got him.
Novie was deff a handful! I forgot what it was like to have a pup! Haven't had one in 3 years! With a pup you have to work on things like Puppy-proofing, potty training, nipping, puppy zoomies, chewing...the list just goes on! My next dog will deff be at least a year!
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 12:50am PST 
I found going up to two dogs not that big of a deal. It all depends on the dog you chose and how it fits into the family. Even three is not much harder once you get used to a way of doing things. Charlie has been a hard adjustment but even he is settling in pretty good now. The cost is a bit more considering flea treatments and vet visits. When I had the blood hound hope she was a huge adjustment though when she came in as a 3rd dog. I could not leave her in the yard, she ate huge amounts and walking her was quite a job until she was trained. I also had to constantly watch where she was and what she was doing. She chewed blankets, shoes, couch and toys. So all depends on the dog.
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 5:00am PST 
We had 2 dogs and 1 cat at the same time. No wish to return to that anytime soon. LOL! For the most part, I could space out vet bills for routine stuff but I did get nailed a few times with unplanned vet bills that were clumped close together. My dogs played great together but the oldest was never really properly trained so the puppy picked up bad habits. The older one didn't use a leash for walks and loved to stroll. My younger one needed a leash and wanted to race everywhere. Hence, separate walks for a while. I also found when one got barking, the other would start to bark even if it was clear he had no clue what he was barking at. They kind of fed off each other - in both bad and good ways. I don't regret it at all. But I think I'm just a one dog person.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4