GO!

Long haired Rottweilers?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sun Oct 23, '11 3:25pm PST 
So I have been a little more interested in Rotties lately for some reason, and I have been lookin at pictures of them on the internet and found some pics of long haired rottwielers.

Can purebred rotties have longer coats? and is there any difference between them such as tempermeant etc?

I'd like to hear anyone's opinions or info that you have.

Thank you, I just found this interesting enough to post it here laugh out loud

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/chrisogunsiji/c ooper_longhairrottie.jpg

http://www.newberrycounty.net/animal/jun e14aretha2.jpg

http://www.totalrottweilermagazine.com/board/image s/fbfiles/images/Job_van_de_Watergeuzen_KB_2009_4.JPG

If you go to google you can find more pictures, but there aren't many.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Oct 23, '11 8:44pm PST 
From my understanding, you can't get a long haired Rottweiler unless you cross it with something else and even then it's a 50/50 chance and it might not come out how you hoped anyway.

A double coat on the other hand, I have seen on quite a few Rottweilers. It's a soft, thick coat, rather than the coarse, shorter coat that many sport. My Maya had the double coat, so her fur appeared slightly longer than a lot of the Rotties around here.

I honestly couldn't see it affecting temperament much. It definitely didn't do anything different for Maya's temperament, so much as her socialization and training and abuse before I got her.

I've got two Rottweilers in my family right now, had Maya before that and have worked with them all my life, as well as Beagles, so if you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. ^^;
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Oct 23, '11 9:53pm PST 
Yes, they can. It is recessive. I have not heard anything about any temperament differences.
[notify]

Maya-Living- in the UK

Pet me please?

Barked: Mon Oct 24, '11 4:33am PST 
Yes, You can and have met about 2 now, lovely dogs.

Nothing to do with cross breeding, it's a throwback/breed fault.

Never heard of any temperament issues but you may struggle to find a good breeder of one.
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Mon Oct 24, '11 6:51am PST 
All Rotweillers have a double coat, but it is usually short and dense. Occasionally, a puppy will be born with a recessive longer coat. This usually happens unpredictably, as most recessive traits do, so I would be wary of breeders breeding for this as it is not correct. A Rottie with a long coat should not have any temperament characteristics which are not the norm for the breed. It would be like the fluffs in the Cardigan Corgi - same dog just a long coat.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon Oct 24, '11 11:24am PST 
Maggie - Good to know. But I meant that thick coat that's more like a GSD's than most of the Rotties up here. A large portion of Rottweilers I see today have that really short, dense coat where you can't actually SEE the double coat and the fur isn't long enough to run your fingers through like it was with my Maya, which was what I meant.

I wasn't aware however that long fur in a Rottweiler was a recessive gene. Cool to know. Lol.
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Mon Oct 24, '11 1:06pm PST 
We had a rescue one a few years back. Very sweet girl. There is no difference in them other than the coat.

I love this video of a long haired Rottie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKQMDXpyw9w
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Tue Nov 1, '11 6:02pm PST 
One just came up for adoption at my local Rottie rescue. They get them every once and a while.

What a mush!!
[notify]
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 9:07pm PST 
Yes.
The long coat is a recessive gene and can "pop" up at anytime in a litter from pure bred parents. This can happen in many other breeds as such as corgis (also known as "fluffies")

The long haired/rough coat gene is recessive.
The smooth haired gene is dominate.
Smooth haired parents can carry this recessive gene and pass it down through their lineage until one day it just shows itself in a member or members of the litter.

But, if you take two dogs with the long haired/rough hair and breed them, they will always have rough haired babies.

But, some breeds are an exception, such as the afghan hound. It can actually produce smooth haired babies from two rough coated parents.

BTW, Hair does not change the temperament of a dog.

Edited by author Thu Nov 10, '11 9:10pm PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 10:02pm PST 
"But, if you take two dogs with the long haired/rough hair and breed them, they will always have rough haired babies."

except if one is a long-hair carrier... wink

Sorry, nit-picking.

The long-hair mutation must be a very old one, since it's found in so many dog breeds, from every part of the world, and some of the world's most primitive breeds, like Chow Chows and Tibetan Mastiffs are long-haired.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2