GO!

How much does shipping a dog cost?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hurlington

Dog?! I'm a- DINOSAUR!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 10:27pm PST 
Hello, not sure if this is the right place for this but how much would it cost to ship a 50 lb. dog alone from california to maryland? And how would one go about this?

Hurley would be flying with me (well, he'd be in cargo) because I'm told it's much cheaper this way but I'll be leaving in August and airlines won't let dogs fly in the heat so Hurly will have to stay down here with my mom and she'll ship him to me probably sometime in october when it's cooler.

We have NO CLUE what to do or what to expect... Do you just show up at the airport with the dog? Or is this more of a planned out thing?

Thank you!
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 10:56pm PST 
It takes a bit of planning. If you choose to go through a regular airline, you have to contact their cargo department to book the flight. The dog will need a health certificate issued within 10 days of the flight and copies of your vax records.

The dog will need an airline approved crate that he can stand up in without touching the roof. You will also need the clip in cups for water and the stickers that say "This end up".

Cost will depend on either weight or which size crate you end up using. Figure about $300.

When the flight is set up, they will tell you how early the dog must arrive at the cargo area (not in the main terminal at most airports). You would then pick him up from the carrier's cargo area.

OR

You can check out Pet Airways. Not sure which airport you want to ship out of, but they do have flights going to BWI (Baltimore/Washington International). If you use them, you don't need a crate.

If you use Pet Airways, you can have the dog shipped immediately. They don't have heat or cold blackout dates since all they carry are dogs and cats.
[notify]
Hurlington

Dog?! I'm a- DINOSAUR!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 11:27pm PST 
Thanks so much for your quick response, all that info was really helpful. smile

Checked out Pet Airways, holy crap! His ticket would be over $1,000! I think Hurley will just have to wait till October haha.

Do you know if vets charge for a regular office visit for this "health certificate" the airport needs? Hurley just had his annual exam not even 6 months ago, I would hate to have to shell out another $50 for a darn certificate...

I do have his rabies certificate somewhere in my files but he isn't current with any other vaccines, do they need anything other than proof of rabies?
[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 11:41pm PST 
While rabies is important, they also want to know that your dog does not have any communicable diseases at the time he is shipped, and that he's healthy enough to fly. And since the vet has to examine your dog, yes, you'll be charged for an office visit.
[notify]
Hurlington

Dog?! I'm a- DINOSAUR!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 12:03am PST 
Thanks! Also, as I'm doing a bit of googling... I notice a lot of airlines state that they won't accept any animal that is exhibitiing aggressive behavior.

Now, Hurley isn't aggressive by any means but he does have a slight problem with giving people the impression that he is. He barks at strangers. He doesn't bite or growl or snarl but his barks are very... mean sounding.

I don't know where you're supposed to drop dogs off to be shipped but I'm afraid if it's in a busy area with lotts of people, he'll make a scene.

Because of this, I thought about maybe asking his vet for a mild sedative but as I continue my googling, lol, the airlines also state they won't accept sedated dogs. :/
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 4:10am PST 
would it be possible to drive instead of fly? It would be better for Hurley and might even be less expensive given the certificates, crate......
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 4:12am PST 
No, the airlines will NOT accept a sedated dog; not only is it against DOT/FAA rules, it isn't safe for the animal as it can affect their breathing and how they regulate their body temps.

You may want to check Maryland statutes, I know they have mandatory registration/licensing, but I can't remember if they require more than just a rabies vax.

Depending on what airport he departs from, the cargo area could be majorly busy or not. I'd suggest making sure he is really acclimated to his crate. Barking is one thing, slamming against the door/sides trying to break out is something else (and would be considered aggressive behavior). I generally suggest that you use zip ties on all four corners as well as on the door.
[notify]
Blaze

Life in the Fast- Lane

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 6:46am PST 
I just had Bella shipped to me from FL in Continental's climate controlled cargo area. When transferring planes, the dogs are in air conditioned vans, or they are brought inside if the wait is more than 45 minutes. The cost was $220 for the flight, $50 for the health cert, and $35 for the crate, but they go by size of the crate to determine flight cost.

Bella was great when she got to me...wasn't stressed and she and her crate/bedding felt very cool. I liked the guys at Continental...next time I ship a dog that's who I'll use.
[notify]
Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 2:19pm PST 
five years back, we shipped a large german shepherd type dog from SF to frankfurt, germany. we had her checked out with the vet and a health certificate done. the airline asked us to call and remind them 48 hours in advance. we always fly united/continental. they asked us to provide the kennel, as the other poster said, and be there about two hours in advance. at the airport they drilled a few holes in the back of the kennel. they asked us to attach the health certificate to the kennel, the dogs name and address in english, instructions in english and spanish. they also asked for a collar and a leash attached to the top of the kennel since the dog must not have a collar on.. also they told us no toys, no clothes and no blanket for safety reason. the also need two portions of dry food attached to the wor of the kennel and feeding instruction in english and spanish. just in case. you should not sedate a dog for a plane ride. some melatonin is fine, though.. as for drinking, get a rabbit drinking bottle, the one with the ball at the outlet and attach ht outside the kennel. do as much as you can from the outside so they won't have to open the kennel! also make sure your dog is chipped! we paid about $300. they take dogs to warm destinations as long as the plane does not stop or you have to switch planes. make sure you get the receipt from the flight attendant. do not leave or let them take off without it. its the proof that the dog is on board! have an airport personal pick you up after landing and have them walk you to the place the kennel comes out! writing this from my cell - sorry for the format. warm wishes and have a great trip puppy
Hurlington

Dog?! I'm a- DINOSAUR!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 3:16pm PST 
Wow! Thanks again everyone. So much is involved in this...

Hurley is crate trained, he's very comfortable in "his room". But he WILL bark. He may act distressed, not because of being in the crate, just all the people.

When strangers come into our home, it just takes him a few mintues to stop barking at them. (Most people are afraid at first and ask me if he bites). After the first few minutes of sounding like he wants to kill them he usually goes and finds his big red kong ball to show off to them and acts like he's their new best friend lol. But at the airport with so many new people, I don't think he'll calm down that fast...

Hopefully the guys at the airport will be understanding. Just worried cuz his barks do sound threatening. I've never understood why Hurley does this, he's the sweetest dog. Wouldn't hurt a fly. I think he just gets over excited or he wants to act like a big tough dog lol and I've never really known how to train it out of him :/

I'll try the melatonin though, thanks for the tip!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2