GO!

How can I get people to look past my appearance??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 85)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 9:06am PST 
sigh..another zombie thread resurrected. and not even a weekendlaugh out loud
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 12:24pm PST 
Yeah...one personal defense is ya develop a wicked sense of humor sometimes...last summer I would take Sophie to pick up my daughter at day camp and one day someone asked her what kind of dog Sophie was...Emmy wouldn't know that in "polite society" one must say "Mixed breed". So Emmy innocently said pit bull and you know the next day we were told dogs weren't allowed on the school grounds...even though another family regularly brought their Golden too.
I couldn't help it, the next time I saw one of those camp counselers and I had Sophie I cheerfully chirped "She's friendly, it's okay, she already ate!"
BWahahahahah. But seriously it hurts sometimes. My son came up with an excellent analogy...

If you had a forty pound centipede. You adopted it because it was friendly and cuddly and well mannered. You kept it well groomed and loved it to pieces. But when you take your daily walks people would cross streets, even jump in the street to stay away from you. People walking with their children would stop their kids saying "We don't touch THOSE". At bus stops people will huddle up together on the benches, even stand on the benches because your centipede is sniffing the pole in front of them. If you went to the playground with your child the same thing, fortunately there are children and adults who come up sometimes and say " Oh I've got two centipedes at home, aren't they terrific!!!".

Sometimes people will even walk up to you special and you can tell they're braving it out to pet an actual centipede. Then you can see them begin to relax when they see you only have a wagging friendly dog after all...That's all we can do really. I have a whole collection of pro pitty t shirts plus car magnets and you just try to enlighten people as best you can. Oh and one more thought-I feel that happy colored collars and leashes are a positive thing. Our dogs are perceived as terrifying already...adding spikes or black leather is overkill. Callie's leashes and jackets are purple or baby blue and Sophie's are fushia or red, charms on their collars, had Sophie's nails painted to match mine several times...you get the idea...one day at a time one person at a time
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 12:40pm PST 
Aye, maybe some posts are worth getting back tolittle angel
[notify]

Bailey

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 1:20pm PST 
If someone had the audacity to come up to me and actually tell me that my pit bull will kill my children (if I had any) one day, I would tell them that it it just shows how ignorant and uneducated they are. I would tell them they should really do their own research on the breed before accepting what they hear on the news, when in reality 90% of the claims of a pit bull attack- aren't even about pitbulls, but about completely different breeds who just so happen to resemble them. I would also tell them that its unfortunate they are so close minded and judgemental, because it isn't until someone owns one, that they truly understand just how above and beyond their loyalty and love goes in comparison to any other breed.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 1:07am PST 
Although most people can be ignorant, Keira, your parents will just have to learn to ignore these negative comments. They brought you up as a good girl and you are! Don't let other people's opinion bring you down. It wouldn't matter anyway. big grin
[notify]
  (Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 85)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9